Notices

Back again

Old 06-05-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

This is what happens. I want to get some control over my drinking, I come here for a while, it helps, then I leave, then the drinking slowly progresses, then I come back again. Rinse and repeat.

The current stage- I can't seem to get through a weekend without drinking, and now Thursdays are increasingly hard to wait. About a month ago a couple times I drank to the point of blacking out- one just a bit, the second one longer.

I know why I drink- yes the addictive factor, but also it is the only time (it seems like) that I can get a break from my chronic anxiety/chronic stress & tension. I'm a trauma survivor and have complex PTSD and even with years and years of therapy I still struggle to cope and alcohol helps. So it is a coping mechanism. It does help me. But it has its own price to pay.

Why else do I drink? Bc who cares if I do or not, very isolated with few friends or family, when there are no consequences it's hard to come up with a reason why not.

So why do I want to stop? Or control it, because yes I'm one of those that thinks I can control it, limit it, reduce it. Not sure if that is true or not. But I should be honest about my goal.

For the last few years, I haven't been able to go more than three weeks without drinking and as I said now it is every weekend. What would my goal be? Only on a long weekend or holiday which would be much less- I haven't been able to stick with that for a long time.

I wish too that I could stop judging myself and going round in circles beating myself up. I wish that I could be a little gentler and kindler and patient. I guess compassion is the word.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My anxiety actually increased over time with drinking.
Stopping was hard and escalated it for a bit, but then the
fear and anxiety really ebbed away as my sober time increased.

Have you considered really committing to a full year of sober time?
(that's what I did to see if longer term made a difference instead
of the rinse repeat cycle you mention)

The things you are medicating for may actually be worse with drinking now.

I replaced drinking with short-term therapy, meditation, yoga, time in Nature, etc.
and have had excellent results.
I also had quite a bit of childhood and adult trauma and used drinking to cope.
Then it didn't work anymore.

Wishing you the best milly--
Old 06-05-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also thought drinking helped my anxiety and depression, it's a delusion that keeps us drinking. About a month ago I got suicidal when drunk and finally went to my psychiatrist and told him everything. We changed meds, started therapy, and I stopped drinking. The anxiety and depression is still there but not as bad, what I have discovered is that I just didn't want to tolerate the feelings. Eventually they pass.
I escaped consequences for the most part only by chance. I was doing things I thought I would never do - driving drunk to the store, driving while drinking (never thought I would do that!) and it was only going to be a matter of time before things got a lot worse.
I wish you the best. The first couple weeks are the hardest for me, being ashamed of myself but it passes, especially with support and kindness from others.
Hugs
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for reading and the support. I know you're both right...Hawkeye meditation does help, that is something new I've been trying the last few months.

Dazee yeah I absolutely don't want to tolerate the feelings. That is what this is about.

I'm trying to think what are my reasons for wanting to stop- it does make me more depressed. It takes my energy away. It's not healthy and yes it makes me eat crap food. It isolates me more- like today I was supposed to go on a walk with a hiking group including a couple of people I'm getting to know, and I cancelled because I was drinking last night.

I'm not happy with my life and I haven't been for a long time. I know the things to do to change it, I just haven't been able to find the strength. I want to be open to the possibility and give it a chance.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Revise everything you can do to remain sober as part of a plan

The best thing you can do is accept you have a major drinking problem if you know you have no control stop now & get proactive in sobriety it's the only way to stop the madness

Stick with us become accountable make a thread and make it a daily thing to pop in & do some reading and some posting

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-05-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is what happens. I want to get some control over my drinking, I come here for a while, it helps, then I leave, then the drinking slowly progresses, then I come back again. Rinse and repeat.

VERSUS

why do I want to stop? Or control it, because yes I'm one of those that thinks I can control it, limit it, reduce it. Not sure if that is true or not. But I should be honest about my goal.

I think these two statements contradict each other. Isn't addiction crazy?

Drink helps your PTSD? I drink to shut it off, usually I'm already pretty out of touch with reality when I start, but it always makes it much worse.

I can only tell you that as an alcoholic I cannot be on the fence about quitting. It is or it isn't. I cannot control it.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I could have written this post a few months ago, except substitute weekends with daily, no blackouts, but drinking every day.

I joined SR in 2012 and was able to have some extended periods of sobriety, followed by thinking I could moderate, a d when I was attempting moderation I stopped posting. Moderation never worked for me. I would start out thinking I could just have a glass of wine, but would spend too much time thinking about drinking. I slowly started adding just one more glass, and slowly found myself drinking a bottle of wine every night, often followed by eating junk food at late hours.

NYE I decided I was needed to stop doing this. I started logging into SR several times a day, and spent time reading and posting, I added walking and yoga into my week, and made a plan for the time I would have been drinking. I have a little more than five months of sobriety and I am feeling better physically and mentally. My anxiety has lessened, I have lost most of the weight I gained drinking and eating junk food, and I am more present with my family, friends, and at work.

Your hiking group sounds like a good way to meet others, and also spend your time.

Give sobriety a shot, Try logging on here and reading and posting before you decide to pick up a drink, join the June class, you will find a group of people who are at the same point in sobriety that you are at.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you have a great opportunity to get a hold of this before it really gets out of control. You mentioned when you leave this site, you slip back into bad habits. Maybe make this site a part of your daily reading. I was a weekend warrior as well, but I could (and have) see how it can progress to daily drinking, then all day drinking and so on. If you are able to put a stop to it now, I believe you will save yourself from more pain and suffering.