Notices

This can be so hard

Old 06-04-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This can be so hard

Hello,

This is so hard. Between 2 and 3 months. All the feelings all the time!! Went to AA meeting, met with sponsor. Tell me it gets easier! Some days are easier but others, like today, are not.

Lilly
Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It does get better, but it takes some time. The one thing I did at three months sober to improve my sobriety, was to practice gratitude every day. At first it was hard, cause I was very depressed, and didn't find much to be grateful for. But I kept on doing it, and now my focus is on the positive instead of the negative. Try gratitude.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

That was an unusually difficult time for me also. Exercise, food supplements (fish oil, ST. Johns Wart) and lots of meetings helped me. Paradoxically what helped me the most was thinking about how I might help others.

All the best to you.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It DOES get easier. And it gets better. It is so worth it, in the end when you come through on the other side.

Keep doing the next right thing. It does get easier feeling your feelings.

I don't regret my spiritual journey for a second.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
Hello,

This is so hard. Between 2 and 3 months.
You know what is harder than your first two to three months sober?

Starting over.

Stay strong.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

If I help someone with less time than me it helps me to get out of my own head.....
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replies. Just took fish oil and agree that service and gratitude helps. I heard about someone in a horrible accident and realized I have so much less to complain about. I need to get out of my own head and live in today rather then tomorrow. Worry really gets me.

Lilly
  # 8 (permalink)  

It DOES get easier. At 10 plus months I can look back and see so much, like how I have grown in power. Give yourself time and patience. You have so much to look forward to.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello,

This is so hard. Between 2 and 3 months. All the feelings all the time!! Went to AA meeting, met with sponsor. Tell me it gets easier! Some days are easier but others, like today, are not.

Lilly
i think youve proven it gets easier. some days are easier now, where in the beginning every day is hard.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to develop into an alcoholic.

It took many, many months to stop feeling like a newcomer to sobriety.

Now I've got several years and feel pretty comfortable.

But I read the post today from MIRecovery, whose friend in AA got a DUI with nearly 6 years of sobriety, and it reaffirms that we are all just one drink away from disaster.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Service and gratitude do help a bit. It also helps me to remember who and what I'm fighting for - me, my family, my future. How are you doing LostLily? I saw your new thread and wanted to let you know that I'm sending some calm and strength right over. Wishing you the best!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lily,

Sorry you are struggling. The three month mark was difficult for me as well. It is where I caved three years ago when I made my first real attempt at sobriety. I spent the next three years going back and forth between attempting to moderate (unsuccessfully) and short periods of sobriety.

This time I stayed strong on the days my mind started to think "Just one won't hurt." And at five and a half months it has gotten easier. You are past those awful beginning days, hang in there, and maybe add something new into your daily routine.

Glad you came here and posted about how you were feeling.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Boxer

I can totally relate. Tomm is three months for me and the last week has been challenging. It's around this point that I failed last time so I'm not shocked but that doesn't make it any easier. Hang in there!!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It seems like a lot of people have difficulty at around 90 days/3 months. You're over the "high" of being sober and now in the nitty gritty of maintaining it. For most of us, quitting takes enormous resolve and early sobriety can feel overwhelming at times. It's still hard. The good news (as everyone says) is that it DOES get easier. You will forge new habits and the obsession with drinking/not drinking fades. The cravings ease up -- and when/if they do come, you know they'll go away and you won't die from them, haha. Most days I don't give drinking much thought. (But I have yet to really socialize in the evening so I can't speak of that...) Just hang in there and keep creating your "new normal."
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello,

Lilly
It does get better x Keep it in the day !!!! All you have to do is not pick up a drink for today x
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It gets much, much, much better.

Well, it did once i started ...
.working through steps with mysponsor.
And doing daily prayers and meditation.
And getting a daily dose of AA through my ears - either in form of a meeting or a speaker recording.
And getting another dose through my eyes - reading BB or Living Sober.
And reading & posting on here every day.
And practicing gratitude.
And practicing the pause (when emotions seem overwhelming, I try to not react in any way for ten seconds, while breathing mindful lyrics and silently praying that I will, do 'Thy will, not mine'. My hot head and insane brain was always pretty good at letting me latch on to those negative emotions, and never more so than when i was raw and newlyly sober. So i needed (need) to make a conscious decision to be calm and mentally restrain myself from chasing after the anger or fear or jealousy, or whatever had wafted past and falling into the trap that those emotions were me. )

Often course, there are still bad days. But usually if I look at my recovery plan, it turns out I forgot to do one of the things on my list. Or I've got a double HALT triggers situation. So I know what I can try to get some relief. And it has never been as bad as it was before I started my step / recovery work. I've (so far) been spared another emotional tsunami, and that is something I need to keep at the top of my gratitude list.

Well done. Keep up the good work. It DOES get better. X