Notices

Cravings

Old 06-03-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Cravings

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I'm a 33 year old man. I have been drinking for the past 5 or so years 3 times a week on average which of at least 1 time is to heavy drunkeness. Beer is my poision, I don't drink any hard liquor. However, I've been feeling increasingly fatigued lately and I have realised that my drinking is too frequent and too much and that I have a problematic relationship with alcohol.

I have had a pretty liberal relationship with alcohol since I was about 22 with only a few longer pauses.

Now I've gone 4 days without a drip but I reaaaally have an urge to go out and drink some beers. I have a benzo which my doctor subscribed to help with cravings but I'm a bit weary of taking it..... however it might also help.

Some advice would be much apprecited

English is not my first language but I hope this makes sense
Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome swampthing! Congratulations on recognizing your problem and making the effort to quit and do something about it.

Cravings are definitely going to happen, especially in early sobriety. Benzos can be very addictive themselves, so being wary of taking them is a smart move. Most times they are prescribed just to help with potential withdrawal issues like seizuers/stroke.....but I'd recommend having a conversation with your doctor about the specifics of when you should be taking them.

There are a lot of non-drug ways to deal with cravings too, have you considered participating in any recovery meetings? Being around a group of people with the same goals can be very helpful. Having numbers to call or coming online here and talking through the urges really helps. While they seem overwhelming at times, cravings are simply feelings - and they will pass. You also have a choice in how you react to them. You could just as easily take a walk, eat an ice cream cone, read a book. watch a movie, take a nap, etc...instead of having a drink.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on recognizing that you need to change your life. 4 days is great. Cravings are common. In early days try some other coping mechanism. Eat something, rest, exercise, a walk in the fresh air.

Benzos are used for detox, not to deal with cravings. They may stave off a craving because they act on the brain in the same way as alcohol. So brain says, yay, just had a drink. Long term they can increase cravings...and they are very addictive. I have heard the detox from them is far worse than alcohol. So be careful. Talk to your dr about other meds, if you want medication, that actually are designed to reduce cravings. Google because there are several different options.

Each time you fight a craving, you become stronger and develop new coping mechanisms. Hang in there.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Swampthing

Having a plan will help, things like reaching out is a smart move anytime you feel cravings aswell as playing the tape the mental tape of drinking when it's at its worst caused by taking that first drink

Here are some tried & tested links to help with urges and cravings aswell as plan building

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-03-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for your replies! Didn't except such fast replies

The benzo is a very weak one. I should say I've previously been diagnosed with GAD but I've never used the benzos. Thanks for clarifying the purpose of taking.

I should also have mentioned that I have slightly elevated GGT values but according to my GP it could have other explanations such as me being slightly overweight.l which I'm also working with. However it is an indicator for alcohol overuse right?

I think I will just try to occupate my mind with playing games and try to sleep asap.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel like my mind is actively trying to get me to feel it's OK to drink. I've paid all bills and applied for some jobs which I haven't for a while

Is this because I'm sober or because i think it's ok to have a drink afterwards?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have GAD and PTSD. Benzos do help during a ptSD episode, for a few days, but beyond that they aren't effective long term. Tolerance develops just like alcohol. Anyway, just use caution.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Swampthing, your mind is playing tricks on you, telling you it's ok to drink. Don't do it! Look, in 4 days you've gotten your act together and started applying for jobs. That's awesome. Keep the momentum going! Yes, you'll have cravings, that's normal. But they go away after a while. Think of cravings as clouds that gently pass. The longer you're sober, the sunnier it gets!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

That voice telling you that it's okay to drink is just your addiction lying to you. It's gonna happen and is pretty typical in early recovery. No matter how loud it gets, it will pass. The thing is to find something else to occupy you until it does. Go for a walk, play a game on your phone/computer, call a friend, scrub your bathtub ... anything to redirect your energy. That voice can be pretty annoying, but the longer you stay sober, the quieter it will get.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 4 was a huge hurdle for me...I struggled all day and went to bed at something like 7:30. It was much easier after that point.

Distract yourself and if all else fails, leave your money and cards at home and go for a long walk.

Cravings are rough...but they pass and every time you get through one, you feel stronger and better about yourself. It's the exact opposite of drinking...every drink you don't have makes you feel better.

You can do this!