What if One of us Dies?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hyenas do laugh Bill here you go

Old 06-03-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would want to know also, but I hope you have many more years here with us.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I would want to know, Bill. I have always followed and loved your posts. I often wonder how you're doing.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is a great topic.

I will need to get my wife on board to let people on this forum know if I land short of the runway.

I try hard to take care of myself, but I regard each day as a gift from God which may not be followed by another one.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bill. Like so many others, I think of you as a respected part of our community.

I think how much we share of ourselves is a matter of personal preference. I'd like to think I'm fairly guarded about my confidentiality here on "SR proper." That said, I do have contact outside of SR, including a small handful with whom I'm friends on Facebook. God forbid, if I'm struck by lightening, I think FB would be a conduit between my real-life and SR worlds.

Again, though, a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We love you, Bill - and yes, I'd certainly want to know.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Thank you, Bill. Like so many others, I think of you as a respected part of our community.

I think how much we share of ourselves is a matter of personal preference. I'd like to think I'm fairly guarded about my confidentiality here on "SR proper." That said, I do have contact outside of SR, including a small handful with whom I'm friends on Facebook. God forbid, if I'm struck by lightening, I think FB would be a conduit between my real-life and SR worlds.

Again, though, a matter of personal preference.
I think the confidentiality problem is a real one and should have a priority. The best way to handle that is if you think you're about to check out of this world, say so on the website and bid us goodbye. I intend to do that. Perhaps some method could be found to permit a designated representative (e.g. executor or executrix) to notify the website administrator. I assume that the executor, etc. would not be permitted to post without qualifying as a recovering addict. Can such a person still contact the administrator? I hope so. Anyway I'll certainly do a final posting myself.
I hope to live as long as possible (taking 21 heart, prostate and anemia pills a day) although, the way things are going politically and otherwise in the U.S. and maybe elsewhere, I also have to take an antidepressant. I have two fine doctors and have complete confidence in them.

Bill.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I have grown fond of all those on this website and sometimes wonder what would happen if I die (I will be 90 next year). Would you all want to be notified somehow? Are there others out there who feel the same? Although we may never meet one another we have become friends, held together by a common bond, a terrible illness. Shouldn't there be a way to notify our website friends if something happens to us?

Bill
My sister has a sealed envelope detailing who to notify.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Bill, I would definitely want to know. You are a rock here, in SR, and have been very helpful to me.
I would also want to let others know if something happened to me. I have told my daughters to get online, and let SR know. You and so many here, have meant so much to me, and have kept me sane , during many sad and stressful times.
I love your wife's grandmother's meaning of life .
chic
Old 06-03-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
My sister has a sealed envelope detailing who to notify.
Can a person notify the administrator of this website if he/she has been designated as executor/executrix and has been instructed to do so by the decedent? Or must the latter do this personally at the approach of death?

Bill.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Soberwolf! Yes, the hyenas are "laughing" but one seems to be less interested in what the other hyena is carrying and more interested in something else! And that's no "laughing matter"! Ask any high school kid!

Bill
Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I am glad that you brought this subject up. There are people here and not that I would like to be informed if something should happen.

The only problem I see with having someone contacting the Admin here is how do the admins know that what they are being told is the truth. Even if someone provided a link to an obituary, how are they going to know if it's me if they don't know my real name? There are many sick twisted people who would think it's funny to cause trouble.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

One positive thing you can take from hearing the very sad news of someones passing is knowing that them suddenly gone missing isn't due to a relapse.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

In the lock box with my living will I have my username and password as well as a Mods username and instructions on how to send a Private Message here on the forum. I did this after I found out my mother had a genetic fatal disorder she passed on to me.

I've mourned several users here over the years and still keep them in my thoughts.

Yes, I would miss you. Perhaps you might leave similar instructions in a trusted place?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I would want to know, wpainterw! I don't comment much, but I always read your kind posts which are always full of wisdom. Your journey has definitely impacted my journey.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shockozulu View Post
In the lock box with my living will I have my username and password as well as a Mods username and instructions on how to send a Private Message here on the forum. I did this after I found out my mother had a genetic fatal disorder she passed on to me.

I've mourned several users here over the years and still keep them in my thoughts.

Yes, I would miss you. Perhaps you might leave similar instructions in a trusted place?
Sounds like an interesting idea. First choice might be "notify just before you die if you can do that." Second choice is your suggestion and hope that the Administrator passes the word.

W.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Can a person notify the administrator of this website if he/she has been designated as executor/executrix and has been instructed to do so by the decedent? Or must the latter do this personally at the approach of death?

Bill.
I have no idea. I gave her my logins to a couple of forums and told her to use them and tell folks I'm gone.

I have nothing to leave anyone so my will is simple.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I have no idea. I gave her my logins to a couple of forums and told her to use them and tell folks I'm gone.

I have nothing to leave anyone so my will is simple.
Me too. I have no idea either. That's why I posed the question. For want of a better answer I'll wait until I die and find out then.

Bill.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Bill, your best bet is to leave your member name, password, and your message with someone you trust. This way they can post exactly what you would like expressed.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
Bill, your best bet is to leave your member name, password, and your message with someone you trust. This way they can post exactly what you would like expressed.
Thanks. And that sure is a nice cat!

Bill.