Notices

sleep

Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sleep

I'm having a really hard time sleeping. At first I thought it was because I was laying on the couch but now I'm in my bed and still can't fall asleep. I'm exhausted... this is now my day 7 I should be sleeping great right?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have heard of people having hard times with sleeping after several weeks of not drinking/using. Some of my friends who went through this have found that strenuous exercise in the day was helpful. While my sleeping troubles were not related to drinking/using, I did find natural remedies such as melatonin and valerian root were helpful in me getting better rest.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm early on in my recovery. This is the beginning of my day 3 and sleep has been an issue. When I was drinking I'd go to bed (pass out) at 7.30pm and be awake by 4am. Now that I've stopped I go to bed earlier, but get up at the same time so I'm exhausted.
That said, a bad night's sleep sober is better than a good night's sleep drunk. I understand that at day 71, you are worried about how much longer you need to endure poor sleeping. From what I understand, everyone is different, but normal sleeping patterns will return eventually.
When I wake, I stay in bed until the time I am supposed to get up. I'm hoping to teach my body that it is supposed to be asleep until that point. I also take a book to bed and read until my eyelids start to go.
Hope that helps a little.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the first month or two are a crap shoot in terms of how your body adjusts. Some sleep great some sleep not at all some get fat some get skinny some are anxious and some are not. Don't read anything into it until your body and mind are further clear of the patterns of drink.

After a month or so if you are still having sleeping issues you may want to look at the standard solutions - melatonin, sleep habits, exercise habits, mindfulness and even meds if needed. I take sleep meds with my doctors approval after decades of crippling insomnia. Facing sobriety was hard enough without taking away a tool that I use but do not abuse so I can sleep.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

In my experience my sleeping was all over the place for the first few weeks .

I could sleep 18 hrs a day at the weekend and sometimes in the week couldn't sleep at all .

I found wrapping the pillow in a towel good because it seemed to keep it cooler ..

try to limit caffeine , do some exercise , don't have a tv radio or computer in the bedroom , set the lights low , don't watch the news or anything too stimuli;sting /exciting for a few hours before bed.

This is the fault of alcohol still messing with your body not the fault of sobriety

Keep a sleep diary totalling up your weekly hours and If it persists go see a Dr .

m
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

sleep issues are very common in early sobriety it will balance out eventually try to keep a routine that helps me

grats on a week
Old 06-02-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've struggled with sleep all my life. Drunk or not, I have never really gotten a good nights sleep. When I stopped drinking, it was bad-- some days I would be up all night and day. I have found that melantonin works-- but now what works best for me is a set routine for when I go to bed.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sleep was a big problem with me while drinking, esp toward the end, and in early sobriety. IME, good sleep just a week in would be an amazing thing! It is early for that.

Do you or can you take anything? My dr has me on seroquel, nightly as needed, and I take it almost every night. I have gone - at day 101- from crazy vivid nightmares then extremely vivid dreams (NON nightmares), with initial few weeks of extreme exhaustion (marathon naps of two, three hours), night sweats and leg and body tremors...a huge adjustment process. Now the seroquel is maintenance, and I only need a nap maybe once or twice a week- usually after some significant (good or bad) emotional output (a long day or two in a row, my first serious job interview as I try to get back to a "Real" job).

Sleep is a huge priority for me so I have been very conscious of my bedtime - an hour ish after I get home from work so I can wind down, means sleep before 12a and non work days, between 10-11; getting up is also a priority so 730-9 is my window.

Keep plugging - it will get better as your body heals.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my sleep patterns went all over the place during the first year or so of recovery.

hang in there.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Regular exercise - 20 to 30 minutes of cardio per day. Whether that be running, jogging, elliptical, biking, swimming, yoga, or all of the above whatever your flavor may be.

Meditation - learn to calm your mind. I really like jbittersweet's videos on youtube. They're generally under 10 minutes and very helpful in learning meditation techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6...lv2Rhz_aKB6wYs

Diet - don't eat anything within 3 hours of your planned going to sleep time (and I'd refrain from exercise in this window too). Only water to drink and not too much.

You work on those 3 things, and I promise your sleep problems will be a thing of the past. I've had many sleep issues before. Now I sleep like a champ and can pretty much go to sleep at will. Good sleep makes everything better, good luck!
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your sleep patterns will adapt and normalize, but it takes time, often several weeks, so be patient. Good sleep will come.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have always had sleep issues, getting sober has seemed to make them worse so far. Then again I'm on day 3
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sleep is one of the most amazing rewards of sobriety. I started sleeping pretty good after a few weeks.

I don't always sleep amazingly well, but when I do....it is the most deep and hard core sleep I can remember.

Last night I fell asleep before 10 pm, woke up around 3 am, felt so tired....back asleep until around 630. Am.

It was like coming out of another dimension when I woke up. The natural meletonin was kicked in.

Sleep is such a strong reason to never drink again.

Before I quit, I was cronicly exhausted. That is part of the reason I have anxiety now. I am not used to feeling rested.

Stay clean. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, regular sleep patterns is one of the last things that usually stabilizes in early recovery. For many it takes anywhere from 1 month in to 6 months or more..all depending on the person but very view reach a point of solid sleep at 7 days in unfortunately.

Exercising during the day, avoiding caffeine, eating healthier, taking vitamins, creating a "bed time routine", not using electronics before bed, there are certain teas that are good for incorporating into a sleep routine to help relax yourself. Also if you have a doctor that knows of your history you can inquire into different medications or try things that are over the counter. I myself do all of the above and then take serequel at night to fall asleep since I have bipolar type 2 disorder and it knocks me out but doubt an anti psychotic should just be used to fall asleep normally if you are not bipolar or suffer from a different mental illness that it is used treat.