SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What to drink? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/392084-what-drink.html)

Rar 05-30-2016 08:54 AM

What to drink?

I've been drinking seltzer water or club soda for the last couple of weeks in place of alcohol. Yesterday I drank 2 liters. I'm so bloated, I can't stand it. What can I drink in place of carbonated drinks? I am a diabetic, so fruit juice and sugary drinks are out of the question. Suggestions appreciated. :)

Mountainmanbob 05-30-2016 08:56 AM

MiO

Just a few drops adds much good taste to water.

MM

Rar 05-30-2016 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob (Post 5975752)
MiO

Just a few drops adds much good taste to water.

MM

Few drops of what?

vulturine 05-30-2016 09:05 AM

MiO appears to be a liquid water enhancer.

emme99 05-30-2016 09:18 AM

I drink a lot of iced tea. Also, Crystal Light. Or make a big jug of water and put lime, lemon or cucumber slices in it. Minute Maid has a light (15 cal) lemonade that is really good but I am not sure if that is too much sugar for you or not. I am trying to cut out carbonated beverages too. Good luck :)

Mountainmanbob 05-30-2016 09:25 AM

MiO Liquid Water Enhancer- Original

uncorked 05-30-2016 09:41 AM

Soda Stream! You can make your own seltzer and it doesn't contain salt or anything -- just water. I like mixing seltzer with diet cranberry juice. If you want to avoid the carbonation completely, then just diet cranberry juice -- maybe with a lime.

entropy1964 05-30-2016 10:05 AM

Seltzer has sodium. Try choosing ones, like Le Croix, without sodium...the carbonation can bloat too however...;(

How about different herb teas iced? Sweetened with Truvia or stevia? I also like green tea mixed with lemonaide (with one of the above sweeteners. Aspartame and splenda are nasty stuff). Iced green tea should help with the bloat too... I know I have kind of an oral fixation and need to always be drinking something. What's with that? Oh, I'm an alcoholic :)

fred59 05-30-2016 10:21 AM

ice tea and water with a little lemon juice and water all day long
I never tire of water so I am lucky
no alcohol with mixers 25 lbs lost in 63 days
stay healthy

Arpeggioh 05-30-2016 10:32 AM

Iced green tea sounds pretty healthy; and my alcoholic logic just said to myself, "Ooh, Stevia is expensive!"

Brain reset: "And how much money were you spending on a fifth of vodka a day? Moron!"

I'm going to spank myself now, then head to the grocery store for a less toxic artificial sweetener...thx, Frick!

desertsong 05-30-2016 10:52 AM

I drink a lot of iced tea. Now that the weather is warm, it's super refreshing. You can also do some really creative things with water. I'll add sliced strawberries, cucumber, lemon, and other fruit. You can Google other combinations and find some really interesting ones. I do one with lemon and basil that's really good. I hate water, so it's got to be interesting for me to drink it. But it's good for you, and there are lots of ways to make it more palatable!

Rar 05-30-2016 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob (Post 5975775)

I've never heard of it, but I googled it and it looks like something I would like. Going to try to find some tomorrow. If I can't, I am able to order it on Amazon. Thanks Mountainbob.

"I know I have kind of an oral fixation and need to always be drinking something. What's with that? Oh, I'm an alcoholic
"

Oh, me too I HAVE to have something to drink. This is why I'm drinking 2 liters of seltzer or club soda.

strategery 05-30-2016 01:37 PM

You can do tea. Lots of wonderful flavors of tea that you can make and chill to be cold.
Also, you can sugar-free Kool-aid, which is pretty similar to crystal light.

Easy2slip 05-30-2016 02:00 PM

Iced tea.... Works for me

August252015 05-30-2016 02:06 PM

Smart water' my fave is lemon
Regular water w lots of �� or lime
Unsweet tea

Babescake 05-30-2016 02:34 PM

I've heard good things about MiO too. I haven't tried it myself but would like to. It doesn't have calories (I don't believe anyway), so it is more natural than the seltzer and carbonated water. I'm trying to give up my one diet dr. pepper. I know soda is SO bad for you, but I don't like coffee, and I need a caffeine fix. I also hate iced tea and try to stay away from juices/milk because working on losing weight. Trying to avoid consuming calories from liquids. I was like this before I drank (obviously not during, smh), and again now. It adds up.

breath 05-30-2016 03:15 PM

I've had my SodaStream Penguin since I got sober; I add lemon juice and/or sun tea concentrate, pomegranite juice.

Consistency is key, just keep hydrated & doing so becomes a natural part of daily recovery 'work'.

I've also gotten into making cold brew coffe; drink it hot and cold. Want to know more about it look it up; it keeps the acid & bitterness out, no more 'coffee mouth"

blueberry2015 05-30-2016 04:08 PM

Tea! Loads of flavours out there to try, all with health benefits, hot or cold

I should change to "my names xyz and Im a teaocholic"

madgirl 05-30-2016 04:09 PM

I drink La Croix like crazy. It's helped a lot in early sobriety - now I panic if I'm out of La Croix the same way I used to feel about red wine. weird.

Babescake 05-30-2016 04:37 PM

I like this thread because I'm in the same situation!

Amazing, through life/college/early working career (and I'm only 35), I never had caffeine period. Drank the last 5 years consistently, mainly diet dr pepper. Not a big coffee drinker. Hate tea, tried many times, many flavors, many ways.

I too, would like something that tastes good, no calories or low cal/carb, and isn't a diet drink. MiO is that right? What about an energy booster? Not ready to look into vitamin boosters/protein powders, etc. yet. Just want a drink to make it through the day...