Notices

How long did the mental obsession last for you after relapse?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did the mental obsession last for you after relapse?

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone could tell me how long the mental preoccupation stayed with you after relapse? When did you find things starting to get easier?

I'm sober tonight but I'm so restless and paniced and upset. I hope I'm not posting too much on here! I just don't know what to do with myself.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've seen quite a large range of answers to that question. We all experience it at different intervals.

I recall it being day 86 and I was getting ready for bed and suddenly the thought occurred to me: I haven't thought about drinking all day today. Had it started to get easier before that? Frankly, I no longer recall.

I'm glad you are sober tonight and here with us.

Is there such a thing as posting too much? If so, Dee74 is in big trouble.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

No such thing as posting too much here Kelly

It's hard to say how long the feeling lasts. There are so many factors involved.

What helps is keeping your mind busy. Also, not to say you haven't accepted but for me, the more I accepted that using would never be an option the easier it made the journey.

Do you like to read? I was having a hard time last weekend. I wasn't craving but I'm dealing with some legal things coming due to a DUI. I'm scared. I needed my head to be involved in something else. Someone here recommended the book Blackout. It was just what I needed. Maybe a good book?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sober for a week since my last bender but still feel the restlessness and anxiety you are experiencing. I don't know what to do with myself either. Keep posting and reading. Take it hour by hour if you have to
Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yoga, stretching, walking, swimming, a good massage - in the first three weeks, something physical helped me to overcome that agitated, dont know what to do with myself discomfort.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Kelly. Please, post away - that's what we're all here for.

Like Nonsensical, one day I realized I hadn't thought about a drink at all. It was at around 3 mos. The thing I once lived for hadn't crossed my mind - I couldn't believe it. I'd been so afraid to let go of it. It does feel strange in the early days - but everything changes and grows easier. I'm glad you're posting about what you're going through.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm on Day 11, but still am preoccupied with thoughts of alcohol. Either I'm thinking about alcohol being glad I'm not drinking, thinking about it again wanting a drink and also thinking about it, glad I beat the craving.

By the way, Kelly, please post away.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Things will continue to balance out I started feeling more & more like myself as the days passed keep posting & reading youl strenght your sobriety by doing so

Are you going to any of the wide choice of recovery meetings they will help too
Old 05-29-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! Soberwolf, I went to an AA meeting today and am comitting to 4 a week. I will try out different ones until I get a feel for them. I'm gong to come on here in the evenings also, it's such a good place and thanks again everyone!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At about three months sober I was still feeling restless and discontent. It was suggested I start practicing gratitude every day. That puts my focus on the positive instead of the negative. It makes me count my blessings and realize how much I would lose if I drank again.

It took me about six months to start feeling 'right' again. But it kept on getting better, day by day.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kelly12390 View Post
I just don't know what to do with myself.
You suffer through it. That's all you can do between the momentary distractions one finds. The obsession was brought on by drinking. The solution is not drinking. Don't drink and you'll never have to go through this again. That's the reward at the end of the struggle. And a struggle it is.

Stay strong.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
No such thing as posting too much here Kelly
what she said...
Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It definitely gets better the longer you're sober. The only time I think about drinking now is when I'm out and see other people drink. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss a glass of wine (or five) when I see someone sipping a cold chardonnay, but the thought passes quickly. Mostly I'm amazed people bother to have just one drink. What's the point?? lol. I was probably 5-6 months sober when I just really forgot about drinking. It's a great feeling! Keep on, one day at a time, you'll get there! Find diversions. Books, movies, netflix, cleaning, gardening, whatever floats your boat. Whatever you used to enjoy doing before you started drinking.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The mental obsession to what?
Want a drink?
I haven't entertained the thought to drink since my last drunk.
But truthfully, I was very torn up.

Dr. Bob thought about drinking for years they say. Yet, never gave in to the thought.

Mountainman
Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank god I have been relieved of my obsession. It may have been because I got honest with myself and admitted that I could not drink in moderation. I surrendered because I wasn't going to fight a losing battle. I knew if I went back to drinking I would end up back in the same bad place drinking the only way I wanted to(in excess). Finally I accepted that I was an alcoholic. Hopefully you are soon relieved of your obsession. Dr. Bob may have had the obsession for a long time after he got sober, but that doesn't mean it will be like that for you!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Day 16. I had worked the steps of AA on days 14 and 15.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm on Day 12 now and finally had an improvement with the exception of a few spells. Maybe it's getting better.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

The mental obsession went away for me once I completed steps 4 and 5. I was around a year first though and just went to some meetings while still drinking. I didn't listen to anyone because I was sure I could figure it out. It finally became clear I couldn't so I started to listen to others and did what they did. That's when the obsession and all the noise in my head finally went away. Almost 4 years ago and still trucking along.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kelly, post as much as you want to. That's why we're here.

I'm glad you're continuing to work on your recovery and each day will get easier.