Notices

Checking in

Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in as I've been having some cravings specifically yesterday and today to drink beer, usually recently I've just been satisfied with eating large quantities of junk food but it's caught me out of the blue and the cravings have been strong.

My neighbour has asked me round to the garden where of course they are drinking. I am going to be social as otherwise I'd be on my own (girlfriend has left yet again). I'm desperate to stop stuffing my face and hold on to my sobriety.

I am just finding it tricky because my girlfriend came back and was fine for a week and then the situation has flared up again.

I wanted to post mainly to log my thoughts and the current situation, I know deep down alcohol isn't the answer and I was relieved this morning knowing I'd not drank.

Thanks for reading

Stewy
Old 05-29-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Of course only you know your particular situation, but might I suggest avoiding situations in which drinking is occurring? In particular when you are craving a drink.

I'm super new (only on day 2) - but for me I could not handle being around alcohol right now.

Edit: If you have been lonely though why not spend some time on this forum for a bit? Or maybe a meeting if you are an AA member.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey Stewy. Good to see you again and good for you for not drinking.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job checking in I might pass on the garden with the friend drinking though esp if your experiencing cravings

What about a walk & I was going to ask Stewy have you considered getting a pooch or Moggy (dog or cat)
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy, this is probably not what you want to hear, but your drinking problem and your girlfriend problem are two separate issues and need to be addressed separately. They may overlap, but they are indeed separate. Try not to let one trigger the other.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi stewy! Glad you're not drinking, but I know I wouldn't be able to hang around my neighbors if they were drinking. Don't beat yourself up about over eating right now, it takes time for the body to adjust. Maybe slowly add some nutritious foods to your diet....
Old 05-29-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am going to be social as otherwise I'd be on my own
This kinda suggests your only two choices this afternoon are sitting alone at home or going to watch other people drink...is that really true Stewy?

D
Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I've just got up and didn't drink but the thoughts are still lingering.

I think I may need to bolster my plan, I've been stumbling around in the dark for a good while now with no real intent and it's showing in the way I'm living my life. I'm at risk of slipping again and I know it.

My girlfriend and drink problems are separate and I need to work on both whilst keeping them separate.

Looking back on my posts a lot are negative and problematic and I think I need to make an honest assessment on whether my current lifestyle is actually what's keeping me in a depressive, addictive state. If you follow me you'll know food has replaced alcohol in terms of binging.

Really at over a year and a half sober I ought to be making a bit more progress than where I am now
Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Stewy, thanks for checking in - have been wondering about you. I too vote for not going to the neighbour's. Too much temptation given you've already admitted the craving.

It is high time to quit the junk food, Stewy. I don't see much wrong with relying on sweets and junk in the short term to make sure you stay sober, but 18 months in, it's not about a temporary crutch anymore. Junk food and sugar are linked to depression and problems with mental health.

You sound like a smart guy, a good guy. Is this what you quit drinking for? C'mon, Stewy. You can turn this around!
Old 05-30-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
Yeah I've just got up and didn't drink but the thoughts are still lingering.

I think I may need to bolster my plan, I've been stumbling around in the dark for a good while now with no real intent and it's showing in the way I'm living my life. I'm at risk of slipping again and I know it.

My girlfriend and drink problems are separate and I need to work on both whilst keeping them separate.

Looking back on my posts a lot are negative and problematic and I think I need to make an honest assessment on whether my current lifestyle is actually what's keeping me in a depressive, addictive state. If you follow me you'll know food has replaced alcohol in terms of binging.

Really at over a year and a half sober I ought to be making a bit more progress than where I am now
Yes, it sounds like it could be time for a plan overhaul. We all have those times Stewy. And now you've recognised it and are willing to look at it, hopefully you'll be able to take some new action and start living in the solution rather than stewing in the problem.

What do you do, daily and weekly at the moment to support your recovery? Perhaps if you post that, people here can hep by making some suggestions about things to add in. Also, that link of Dees about making a plan is always worth a re-read as it's a corker.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies guys.

I've been resting on my laurels for I would say a good few months now.

I don't really have a plan as such right now, I'm not in very good shape physically or mentally at present so I need to sort that out.

I would say at the moment I'm overeating to cope with negative thoughts and emotions, I usually try and start the day off with exercise which is something that needs to remain I feel. The issue is evenings. I think it stems from being lonely and isolating myself- evenings is where I feel I struggle right now.

I feel I need to get out more but being a bit of a loner I do struggle to establish connections and I've burnt bridges due to my reluctance to attend social events. A concerted effort in these areas would most likely help.

Feel free to chip in with any pointers, I'm just about to do a separate post about today
Old 05-30-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why not go look at the notice boards in your local library to see what clubs and societies are on in the evening and try to get involved in a new sober hobby that will mean integrating with other sober people.

I've developed a good social network through AA, and regular meetings mean I don't feel isolated or trapped indoors of an evening.

Volunteering is also a good option. I joined a running club as a beginner, and although I'm not up to participating in their more advanced events, I can always volunteer to help Marshall at them, which gets me out of the house and also inspires me to do better with my own running (lurching) lol.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking worked wonders for me, helping me mentally and physically. You can go out every evening and walk until you're tired.