Notices

Reading through old posts

Old 05-29-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading through old posts

Gah! The more I work on my self, the further I get from that last drink, the more I do not recognize the personality that wrote those posts almost two years ago.
It is VERY important for me to read those old posts as a reminder of the nightmare that is active alcoholism. The past year has been HARD. Nothing too crazy happened, it was just a year of action, learning how to live sober and how to react in a sane manner to all kinds of situations.
I was told to hang in there, it keeps getting better...and it does. Every day is quality. I am grateful for everyday.
My only regret is that I didn't attempt sobriety sooner. I know there is a reason it played out this way but I am just enjoying life so much! For those starting out, hang in there...it gets awesome!

Jennifer
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks Jennifer, it is always good to remind ourselves how bad we felt when we were drinking
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a very newcomer, this is so encouraging to read. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that Jennifer!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FindingCake- being sober is an awesome way to live like countrygirl2014 was saying. You got this..........Jimmy
Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jennifer,

I especially agree with your comment about gratitude. Every day counts - that's the great lie of active addiction, I promised myself that tomorrow I would be different - and did that for a couple of decades. Today is the only day I can be sober, and regardless what happens in this 24 hours, there is nothing that is more important than my sobriety. Everything that is good in my life comes from or is dependent upon my sobriety.

Eddie
Old 05-29-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I read my first post sometimes and am struck by how helpless I felt then. Now I am confident in my sobriety and love my life.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finding cake...feel free to browse my first posts. You will find a lot of familiarity there I'm sure. Helpless...scared...all of my problems...I relize that the problems I felt I had, the ones that consumed me since my teens, were all found in that bottle. There has been a couple of road bumps, instead of picking up a drink, I pick up the phone and ask someone with more sobriety than me what to do. Most of the time, the problems I had were exaggerated and just in my head. I never pictured myself without a drink in my hand. The thought of losing my liquid best friend terrified me. Now I can't wrap my ahead around what was so appealing about it all in the first place.

Jennifer
Old 05-29-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the great post CountryGirl

D
Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post! I go back and read my first few posts occasionally, too. It reminds me how far I've come and how far I could fall if I were to go back out.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post to wake up to and start another sober day x
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Jennifer. I have made a practice of setting aside on my computer my (almost) daily posts in the December 2015 class thread, so I can read them back when I need reminding of how I felt at points in the journey. I am only at a few months of sobriety but I get a lot out of the practice. Thanks to your post, I was motivated to get myself up to date with recent posts yesterday! It may sound like a lot of effort but as Dee often says we put a lot of effort into drinking too.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think its good to do this . I also go back old threads/posts on a panic/anxiety site I have been a member off since 2007 , this is especially helpful for health anxiety to notice the things that I though I had I never had lol