SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How do you do day 1 on a weekend?? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/392014-how-do-you-do-day-1-weekend.html)

Sinderos 05-28-2016 05:30 PM

How do you do day 1 on a weekend??

Tomorrow my family is coming over for lunch and then we will all go to the pool. No one drinks which is good for me because I have never drank around my mom and never will (even at 41 years old). The thing is, it will be Sunday and I'm off work Monday. I have never had a day 1 on a day when I didn't have to work. How on earth do I do it once they leave and I'm all alone for another day and a half??? The thought of it is very overwhelming.

Anna 05-28-2016 05:45 PM

It is a bit overwhelming at first, Sinderos. It's great that your family doesn't drink and I hope you enjoy your time with them. What kinds of things do you like to do in your spare time? Do you have any hobbies that you enjoy? It's probably a good idea if you plan something ahead of time so you will be able to keep busy.

Sinderos 05-28-2016 06:32 PM

I thought about going out of town to a new place to explore it. Where I want to go is a 4 hour trip one way. It would definitely help me get through the day and a half.

AnvilheadII 05-28-2016 06:44 PM

first and foremost you COMMIT to not drinking, NO MATTER WHAT. choose sober. and stay sober. if you don't touch that first drop, you'll be fine.

the adventure sounds fun. do you have a camera? do a little photo-journalism and record your journey. do you do audiobooks? listen to a story on your drive.......i swear i can't drive 100 feet in my car anymore without an audiobook!!!

Sinderos 05-28-2016 07:06 PM

I love driving and thinking. It's like medicine to me. Looking at the scenery and clearing my head. I use my phone as a camera and often flip back through the photos remembering the details. Going to new places and exploring is what I used to do all the time before I started drinking almost 6 years ago.

Nowsthetime 05-28-2016 07:08 PM

You channel your inner Nike and "just do it".

Change your routine, hang here and commit.

We are with you Sinderos!

fini 05-28-2016 07:31 PM

I have never had a day 1 on a day when I didn't have to work.

well then, Sinderos, in that case you already have proven to yourself that having day 1 be a workday makes no difference, since clearly that didn't work out so well for you.

so clearly there's no reason to think a day at work is a "better" day one than a day off work.

any day is an equally good one.
and today is the best day!

August252015 05-28-2016 07:44 PM

Plan!!
If the trip sounds great, do it. If the weather turns bad, have a plan that you will...go to the movies. Or a museum. Or to people watch at the mall. If those are all closed, nothing good is playing, or you don't like being in crowded spaces, go to a bookstore and find a recovery book (or a non recovery book too!) and sit and read them. Or....go to three meetings a day if you need to (are you going to any kind of group?)

Planning helps me, especially in the beginning.

You can do this!