Notices

First teeth grinding session today

Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First teeth grinding session today

Since my sober day 11th May I sat through 4 hours of some visitors who popped in unexpected . My sister and her hub who were in US for 6 months and came home 2 weeks ago came round . So it was my Mrs and my daughter and me in the garden with them and some drinks were soon on the go . None of the company are big drinkers and my brother in law was driving so he wasn't drinking , we had some good laughs and the conversation went well but after a couple of hours I felt my conversation drying up and began to feel quite restless . It wasn't that I had any desire to drink it was them getting slightly louder and more talkative as you know this is what happens and I became plain fed up with it and it must have shown on my face , you know that kind of half smile when you don't want to smile it never looks right . My sister once asked if I was ok which only made me worse, See they don't know my status really , they don't know my dirty little alcoholic self . I did however tell them that ive made a decision not to drink due to the fact it makes me ill ( that's true but not the whole truth ) ....... so I gritted my teeth for what seems like forever until they decided they needed to call it a day , what a relief , I cant stand it ,I felt like screaming . Then it was the hugs and and another 5 minutes at the car . No one was drunk but quite tipsy .
I hope it gets easier to be in company like this as I just hated it .
Old 05-28-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It does get easier Thomas, I promise. I call these moments "nnnnnnnngggggggggg" moments. I have two invites tomorrow to cookouts and in both instances the people holding the get together know I'm sober. I have no worries that I'll drink I just don't think at this stage (my sober date is 5/9) that I really feel like standing around people who are drinking and socializing. I have no interest. That phase of my life is over.

However, when I was last sober for 17 months I know it eventually gets to a non issue point. However, it can still creep up periodically. If I remember correctly it was always when the theme of the time spent was all about the alcohol and nothing to do with anything else.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well good on ya for not drinking. It does get easier. What would have made that hard for me was the unplanned nature....the popping in. Don't like surprises. If I can prepare for an event where's there's drinking I'm much better off.

You handled it well so consider it a victory
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks LadyBlue

Having calmed down and cooked some spag bol iv'e had time to think a bit about my post . Just like to add I felt raw during the last part of the get together , I didn't realise just how fragile my feelings still are . I'm good on one to one and have been doing some good stuff past week but in that group i felt isolated . This is the way I felt when I was a teenager and I believe this is why I drank so much from an early age and now 45 years or so on I still feel the same type of social fear .
Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey man, that was a test, and you passed with flying colors. No one said you had to like it, just that you had to get through it alcohol free, and you did. Congratulations.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

keep up the good work
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well in general I am not good in groups even at the best of times , by nature I am quite introverted . It's not even like it was strangers and there was no pressure . my sister and brother in law are not loud or anything so I think I just began to panic as time went on . We are invited round to theirs in a couple of weeks and i'm thinking I want to come clean , tell them the whole story , I don't want to live a double life any more , pride will not keep me sober .
Old 05-28-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

You did a great job, Thomas.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nicely done!