Notices

A possible word replacement tool?

Old 05-29-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

A possible word replacement tool?

Funny how we have such a hard time using the word "forever" when we are working on sobriety and recovery. Too overwhelming. Yet, when we read negative situations that others have experienced we have no problem using the word "never" to ourselves as though that would also encompass our entire future.

What we say to ourselves is powerful. We can talk ourselves into things when we know the opposite to be true. I'm thinking that this exercise could be of assistance when combatting our addictive voice.

How many times have you read a post on here and said to yourself "I have never done that". There's that word, never.

So check this out. Try this.

Here's some of our reasonings:

I have never gotten an OUI.
I have never hurt anyone or damaged anything.
I have never lost my job.
I have never been out of line in front of others, only when I'm home.
I have never blacked out.

Now, the next time you say those things to yourself remove the words have never and replace them with haven't and add the key word onto the end. YET. So, let's take the same and do this.

I haven't gotten an OUI......yet
I haven't hurt anyone or damaged anything..,..yet
I haven't lost my job......yet
I haven't been out of line in front of others, only when I'm home.....yet
I haven't blacked out......yet

Do you see where I'm going with this? Being stated in the first manner you're speaking to yourself as though those things will never be a possibility. You're not as bad off and maybe have some more time because you've never done those things and you're dismissing the possibility of the future. Stated in the second manner you're reminding yourself that all of those things, albeit having not happened, are definitely a possibility down the road. Everything and anything is possible when you continue to drink. All bets are off.

Check it out. Choose one and say it to yourself or out loud. Then, choose the same statement in the second set and do the same.

Does it feel different?
Old 05-29-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yet means Y Your
E Eligible
T Too .

Forever like being sober is a lifetimes aim but only if applying the 12 Step program , we are on a spiritual path we are a work in progress we are recovering then we are recovered .

Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous opens with a powerful statement ..

Stories of Men and Women who have RECOVERED from a hopeless state of mind and body.

Recovered is forever , we are restored to sanity the problem has been removed , alcohol is no longer a problem we are in a position of neutrality .

As long as we apply the daily ''maintenance steps of 10 11 and 12 and practice the principles in all our affairs which keeps us in fit spiritual condition we remain recovered for the rest of our lives '' is that not fantastic .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006