Notices

Five Months Ago

Old 05-27-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Five Months Ago

Five months ago, I joined a new job. At the time, there were 5 incredibly smart, super talented people working. We worked under the leadership of one of the funniest people I’ve known. This day marks my last at this company he’s grown from the ground up. It was his ideas, his leadership, his trust, his innovations that led the company to where they are now.

I will admit that when I was offered the position, I was not very keen. Working for a Property Management Company was something I had never imagined myself doing. Ever. And he could be incredibly fussy when it came to expensive kettles and obnoxious law students!

However I knew I had to do something. Not everyone has that lightbulb moment where they know exactly what they’re destined to do. For me and I’m sure many others, I could imagine myself doing a variety of things with no distinct direction or strong inclination. I was sure about one thing, however – that I was definitely not happy in my current situation – unemployment - and that was a good enough starting point.

Even though this frightened the hell out of me, I was lucky enough to be in a position where taking this job was actually feasible. I didn’t have any kids or anyone reliant on me, I didn’t have a mortgage to pay, and I have parents ready to open their home to me so I didn’t have to live on beans on toast in order to afford my rent. I cannot stress enough how fortunate I was to have the support system in place that many people unfortunately don’t.

After working there for some time, and figuring out what I enjoyed doing the most (which is always a good place to start, even if you’re not sure what the specific job would be) I have now found a way to enter the industry of my choice. I see this as a do-over, an opportunity to start again – on my terms.

Today was my last day at the office, as I start my new job on Monday. I was surprised with a fabulous lunch at Kai Café and Restaurant.
There is no amount of gratitude I can express that will adequately describe how he and the opportunities he’s created have changed my life. Alas, I must try.

Thank you for taking a chance on me.

For placing me in a role that wasn’t clearly defined and for trusting me to help define it.

Thank you for throwing me head-first into situations where I was uncomfortable, (the viewings!) and forced to learn and grow.

Thank you for trusting that I would be successful in those situations.

Thank you for listening to me. For making my voice heard.

Thank you for setting the example of what a leader and a boss should be.

Thank you for not laughing at me when I almost cried and for ensuring there were more times of laughter than of tears.

Thank you for always being the first to express appreciation and for always rewarding hard work.

Thank you for your patience. Your encouragement. Your drive to succeed, as contagious as ever, has led me here.

Thank you for encouraging me on my road of self discovery. For helping me to see the bigger picture that lies beyond daily tasks.

Thank you for being a coach and a mentor and for making it okay to ask even the most seemingly silly questions.

Thank you for supporting and encouraging my personal and professional development.

These past months have been very rewarding. I know this isn’t the last I’ll be seeing of you. Thanks, and good luck.

I don’t know what the future holds for me, how long I will stay in my new career, whether I’ll actually be successful. What I do know is that for now, I’m happy I’m trying something new, excited about coming into work every day, and feeling driven to try my best. If it doesn’t work out, well, at least I know I have the courage to try again.

Because now I’ve learned what I needed to learn this entire time.
That I will make it in whatever it is I want to do – I just need to keep trying, keep moving, keep believing in myself. The biggest mistake I’ve made is that I lied to myself and held myself back. I was my own worst enemy, my biggest obstacle. Not any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kai-8-of-191-370x210.jpg (38.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He sounds like a good leader and it rubbed off on you. Use it to propel yourself to the moon in your new career.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations, Tetra!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Because now I’ve learned what I needed to learn this entire time.
That I will make it in whatever it is I want to do – I just need to keep trying, keep moving, keep believing in myself. The biggest mistake I’ve made is that I lied to myself and held myself back. I was my own worst enemy, my biggest obstacle. Not any more.
You are inspiring, Tetra. And you've come such a long way on your amazing journey. You put yourself in the path of this person by taking action yourself, and then you opened yourself to receive the help he could offer. You're so right. We have to keep trying and keep moving because that's how the miracles in our lives happen. Thank you for this wonderful post.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats, Tetra! I too am so glad to see how you've flowered as a person since getting sober.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tetra
It sounds like you had a great experience with a great boss and leader I wish you the best in your future.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really happy for you Tetra. Congratulations!