Notices

Can you talk me into it?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I read your list. After I got to the parts about contemplating suicide and partner abuse I think you should go.

Go now. Go tomorrow.

And that's a good point about the money. You find money for alcohol.

I see you've replied. I like your decision. Please keep us posted.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Your username is lovetolisten. I think the problem you have is that you are only listening to your addiction. There is a chorus of voices around you giving some fantastic advice, including your doctor. You have to make a choice as to who you want to listen to.

Eventually you will be committed involuntarily, arrested or dead if you keep listening to your addiction. And that's not an exaggeration. Your list of damage done by alcohol is extreme by any measure of alcoholism. I hope you can make some good choices before you completely destroy your own life and those around you too.
Nailed it right on the head. Perfect response.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think you have made the right decision. I really do.

So very strange that we can produce lists such as your own and STILL think we haven't got a problem.

Sobriety is not as scary as you think. It's a journey of discovery, while drinking/drunk doesn't even have a map. I really wish you the best.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Wow, quite the laundry list there! No judgment, most of those things I have done too.

I know there's no logic when it comes to the AV.

Lots of great posts here, I say the same, don't delay in getting help.

You want us to talk you into this but here's a question. When you read that list what would need to be added in order for you to understand that you need help without requiring confirmation from others?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetolisten View Post
As promised on Monday, I finally sought medical help today. Doctor is recommending treatment at facility in neighboring town. My insurance has a high deductible, so a little worried about that.

As I walked to my car, I thought: "Do I REALLY need medical help and treatment? It's not that big of a deal, is it? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Is it really that vital that I quit?"

Here are the facts, and I am looking for more experienced and objective heads to convince me what I am doing is necessary.

- Joined SR in December, started attending AA meetings.
-Excessive binge drinking including blackouts and getting very sick every 3-7 days since September.
-Consistently consuming excessive amounts after promising myself I won't
-Woke up still drunk a number of times in the last 6 months
- Have broken all my limits and rules within weeks of setting them (beer/wine only, no drinking during the week, no more than 3 at a time).
- Have drove drunk and not remembered where I parked
-Have considered suicide while drunk
-Cut all my hair off (for an unknown reason)
-Smashed a television
-Physically abused a SO in a blackout rage
-Injured myself (including finding bumps and bruises and can't recall where from)
-Missed work
-Lied, lied, lied, lied, lied
-Violated my own moral code

I realize it is pretty obvious after reading this list... but my AV still tells me I'm overreacting by seeking medical help.

Can you experienced (or even not so experienced) folks who have been through hell and back reassure me that I need to take any measures necessary to stop this? That medical treatment is not an overreaction?

Sorry to be a petulant child here, just really at a cross roads and need support and wisdom from people with a little perspective
Believe it or not, it can and will get worse

I agree with Melinda, that feeling suicidal and physically abusing your partner are reasons enough alone.