SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day three of no alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391930-day-three-no-alcohol.html)

suzyzipper 05-27-2016 06:59 AM

Day three of no alcohol

And the funny thing is I'm so used to waking up wondering what I did the night before I still find I do that. I cringe opening up FB wondering what things I wrote or messages I sent and don't remember. My heart starts beating fast. And then I go and look and there is nothing. What a relief. I still miss it, but I'm trying to remind myself I missed the first glass. Once I got past that first glass I started feeling that icky sunken losing myself feeling and I don't miss that at all. I do still wish I could sleep but it's nice waking up sober I will say.

entropy1964 05-27-2016 07:17 AM

Day 3 is great. The sleep issues suck but once you're through detox they should start to normalize. Then sleep is amazing. Those old thoughts, the ones that were created by our drinking, take time to change. I posted about my closet, the place where I hid my alcohol and did my drinking. I hate that closet and cringe about 80% of the time I look at it. That'll change over time.

madgirl 05-27-2016 07:27 AM

Good for you Suzy!!
I hate facebook - quit a few years ago and can honestly say it is a huge relief.

Coldfusion 05-27-2016 07:30 AM

Three days is AWESOME, Suzy! You will be getting good sleep soon!

Rar 05-27-2016 07:34 AM

3 days is GREAT, Suzy. You can do this. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time. Keep us posted. Congratulations.

least 05-27-2016 07:46 AM

At 3 days, you're still in physical withdrawal. It will get better, the longer you're sober. :)

Soberwolf 05-27-2016 09:43 AM

Grats on day 3

August252015 05-27-2016 09:47 AM

I smiled at the FB mention. A beast for me too, at one point. I quit it for awhile, even before becoming sober, and now consciously use it sparingly, only positively, and post minimal stuff! SO much better, and still lets me get its best use- staying in touch with people near and far that I truly care about.

Have a good day 4! And yeah, you'll keep sleeping better particularly with the subconscious knowledge you won't wake up to regrettable junk.

360startstoday 05-27-2016 10:02 AM

Initial withdraw period is almost over! Yay! Congrats on day 3. Sleep will come soon. I read SR all hours of the night the first week. Good job.

Para 05-27-2016 10:04 AM

Congrats on 3 days. It gets better and better as each sober day passes.

I'm no longer on Facebook either. I know the feeling of waking up the next morning after drinking and checking your past activity on FB from the night before, or checking your dialled numbers on your cell phone...hoping you didn't talk to anyone. I don't miss that feeling at all.

It's nice not having to try and remember things that you did when you were drunk.

CaseyW 05-27-2016 10:56 AM

Day 3 is wonderful! Congrats!

That first drink is the one that kills us and doesn't deserve to be romanticized. Without it the second or third or tenth drinks never happen.

Keep on doing the next right thing, and remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.

HopeandFaith1 05-27-2016 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by suzyzipper (Post 5971302)
And the funny thing is I'm so used to waking up wondering what I did the night before I still find I do that. I cringe opening up FB wondering what things I wrote or messages I sent and don't remember. My heart starts beating fast. And then I go and look and there is nothing. What a relief. I still miss it, but I'm trying to remind myself I missed the first glass. Once I got past that first glass I started feeling that icky sunken losing myself feeling and I don't miss that at all. I do still wish I could sleep but it's nice waking up sober I will say.

I can understand this completely. I think when it comes to drinking we love the idea, but we hate the reality. And the reality is what I feel we should stay focused on if we are to maintain sobriety.

Incidentally I've pretty much given up FB too along with the drinking. It was a huge time waster and created more drama than it was ultimately worth. I still log in a couple times a week to check on close friends and family but that is about it. I find I have a low tolerance for stress and drama early in sobriety.

Anyway I wish you the best, I have definitely been in your shoes and it is a huge relief to be able to wake up and remember everything that was said and done the night before, and that's just one of MANY benefits. Good luck to you!

SoberLife90 05-27-2016 11:22 AM

Keep it up it gets better!!!!!

Wastinglife 05-27-2016 12:32 PM

I can certainly relate to the anxiety over drunken FB posts. I have a habit of messaging exgirlfriends and making up stories about the great things I'm up to. I think it makes me momentarily feel good cuz and allows me to escape my reality. Of course, although my posts are good intentioned, I'm sure people are baffled by them since it has been a decade since I've seen them.

ccam1973 05-27-2016 12:36 PM

Great job on day 3 Suzy. The sleep will come, your body is still adjusting.

Keep up the good work.

Finallyrdy 05-27-2016 12:51 PM

That is the worst. Facebook. Oh and checking your texts. What guy that I would not normally ever talk to did I text to hang out with me last night? :(
Welcome!

Dee74 05-27-2016 05:00 PM

Keep going Suzy - you're absolutely on the right road :)

Congrats on day 3 :)

D

Jillian2563 05-27-2016 05:08 PM

Guess what? Tomorrow will be day 4!