Notices

Does this sound like withdrawal?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does this sound like withdrawal?

I had been lucky in the withdrawal department ... I would usually only feel tired and maybe a little sick the first day .. then tired for a few days after..

I am currently on Day 3 # 1 million, today I am fine but the past two days I have had panic attacks, convinced myself I am not really here, that I am really in a coma someplace dreaming.. I also became obsessed with dying .. not wanting to die but being afraid of it happening someday ... someday .. not even that day .. and it filled with me pure terror.

Don't really think this would count as "medical advice" because it isn't happening anymore ... just wondering if it was due to withdrawal .
Old 05-26-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Really bad anxiety is common during withdrawal. It eases up the longer you stay sober. I hope you never have to go thru this again.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Long ago, before I intentionally quit drinking, I was forced to stop for a bit. I had horrible panic and anxiety attacks. I thought I was dying. In hindsight, I now know it was withdrawal.

If it gets too bad, go see your doctor. In the meantime, avoid caffeine, get rest and take care of yourself. My attacks eased up once I quit for good. Haven't had one in a very long time.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here - I'm really glad you feel better today Volshen

D
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my experience with severe withdrawal, I found that descriptions of 'impending doom' were 100% accurate. Scary stuff and very uncomfortable, especially the gruesome hallucinations. Fortunately, it doesn't last too long.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YES...Impending doom is the worst....definitely a symptom of withdrawal! Nothing to fool with. Best Wishes with recovery # 1 million and 1.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YES. The feeling you are experiencing is one of the main reasons I quit. The false fear of doom and thinking you will die is the worst. I literally had to talk to myself and tell myself that it was fake, it is not real, it is symptom of withdrawal. I knew rationally that there was little chance I was going to die, or that the police were going to knock on my door or that my house was going to burn down. Never again.

By the way, it gets worse with each relapse so you would be well served to just put your drinking days behind you. Keep us posted.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always felt like something really really bad was going to happen, not necessarily that I would die, but that someone very close to me would, and I would worry, worry. I was afraid to answer my phone. I hated that feeling. Yes, part of withdrawal.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had been waking up at night with the Impending Doom for a long time not knowingwhat it was. I'd wake up thinking my house was on fire or that somthing horrible was getting ready to happen not knowing exactly why. Turns out I was really addicted to alcohol and starting withdrawal in the middle of the night. After some sober time you will start to feel better.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also am going through some of the same things with my anxiety. IT is what finally broke me and helped lead me to where I am now (sober). I was so anxious I was barely able to drive for the first 8-10 days during detox. If I did, I could only go to the corner gas station for Gatorade or a snack and if there was more than one car in the parking lot I couldn't even stop. For at least the next month or two as I was able to drive more and get back to work, if I passed or even saw a cop my anxiety would almost go to pure panic. Slowly it got better over time but I had heightened levels of anxiety about every 30 days, each getting less intense and lasting for a shorter period of time. Now at 9 plus months sober, it's much more manageable and I'm hoping one day it will be gone completely. Just hang in there and I think you'll notice it's part of the hard days for some of us, But it does get better. Wish you well!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Consider yourself fourturnate for many including myself suffered with terrible nightmares for months.

Might not always be so easy to sober up.

MB