Notices

Back to work

Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to work

Landed myself a job interview for next week which is good news for me, things finally are slowly getting back on track. Only thing I'm bit concerned about is questions regarding why you left your previous job and questions about my general health. The truthful answer to both those questions would do me no favours I fear, as it would be me telling them I used to drink everyday for years and eventually ended up with me spending 3 weeks in hospital. At the same time I don't want to lie to them. Any advice guys or been in this sort of situation?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Congratulations!!!!

I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you how to answer... but unless it is very important for you to completely disclose everything ---- don't go there unless they do. Then you won't be lying. If you get the job and keep not drinking and also doing a good job at what you were hired for, then I don't think it should matter that they don't know your whole life history.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In those situations you can tell the truth, without volunteering the whole truth and its perfectly fine. "I left as a result of a short term illness."
Old 05-26-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
In those situations you can tell the truth, without volunteering the whole truth and its perfectly fine. "I left as a result of a short term illness."
Bingo.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 05-26-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with Soulshine here , if your health is fine now don't volunteer your past if they don't ask . I dont see this as dishonesty .
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

James-
I am in the same situation -- resigned from my job and am now looking for work. When the question comes up as to why I am no longer with my former employer, etc. I simply say I voluntarily resigned for health reasons, or for personal reasons. At that point, the interviewer pretty much leaves it at that. I don't get in to any more detail then that and I have never been asked to expound on it.