Notices

Recovery App Brainstorm

Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery App Brainstorm

I'm interested in building a mobile app for recovering addicts and hoping to get some feedback from the community. I've been an active member of this community myself and know how important social interactions and tools are to recovering addicts. I'm hoping to build something that can just be another tool in the tool belt of the recovering addict.

This is as much about keeping myself busy (which helps me greatly with my recovery) as anything else, and hopefully in the end I create something useful to others.

If you want to help, please just let me know what kind of features you would like to see in a mobile app that would help with your recovery journey. Also if you use any other apps currently, I'd love to hear about them.

Keep in mind I'm one person (at least at the start) so this will likely be a pretty minimal app, but don't let that stop you from dreaming up whatever you want. Just looking for some ideas to mull over at this point. I appreciate it!

For any technically inclined folks, I'll be using Angular2 NativeScript with a Firebase backend. Real time interaction will be key.

Please feel free to move this topic if there is a more appropriate place for it.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Sounds like a cool idea. I'm not a big 'app' user (old lady) but I would think something that tracks days, maybe have message alerts for birthdays (something motivational and positive), maybe a daily thought to ponder (kind of like AA's reflections), maybe something that starts a thread based on specific topics, rather than having people simply create their own threads? Might force people into a more positive, solution oriented thought process if they wanted to participate (kind of like the weekender thread). Something that sends out notifications throughout the day that can help keep people on track. I would also include the ability for the user to select what they would like to be notified on. I dunno. Not very good at this kind of stuff. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Sounds like a worthwhile project to me
You might want to check out what the most popular threads are and the things almost everyone posts about.
I could see a lot of things that could be included or thought about:
  • calendar to "x" off days sober
  • counter for sober days - i guess that could work with a formula to autopopulate a number between the stop date and today's date
  • recovery, motivational, funny quotes (everyone loves quotes) either text or picture quotes
  • smiley face moods for each day
  • a contact list for online friends and maybe a few details about them
  • place to input meetings offline or online chats/meetings
  • alarm to let them know to check in for the day or some other event
  • place to keep a list of movies/book suggestions on recovery
LOL ok I will stop.... I don't know how big/simple/complicated you want to go. Maybe you could pick just one thing and make a good app and add on later.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. These ideas are great!

I was also thinking about a call for help type of feature. You know when you're feeling the urge to drink (or whatever your addiction is)? You could just hit the alarm and anyone who wants can send you positive thoughts, or offer to chat or whatever you need.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Originally Posted by Cahabr View Post
I was also thinking about a call for help type of feature. You know when you're feeling the urge to drink (or whatever your addiction is)? You could just hit the alarm and anyone who wants can send you positive thoughts, or offer to chat or whatever you need.
That sounds like something totally new.... it might work great!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love the "call for help" idea! I use apps a lot, I think you would definitely have an audience.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time today setting up the wiring/infrastructure of the app. I'm starting it out as a responsive web app (so you can view on a phone or mobile device). All I have done is a non-working log in screen so far.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cahabr

good luck with your app.

We're kinda getting into murky territory here tho.

SR is a site for sharing personal experiences and personal recovery stories.

We do not allow advertising of any kind, not do we allow promotion of one's own work, website, or professional personal services (life coaching, addiction therapy, medical services etc).

All areas of this website - the forums blog and chat - are for peer support only and not to be used for networking, research, fundraising, distributing professional medical advice or using the forum to represent your professional services.

You'll see by the rule below that even asking questions for research is not strictly allowed here.

Maybe it's best if you simply announce when the app is done, then interested parties can contact you by PM.

1. No Advertising: No advertising or links to advertising or "Spam" is permitted (including signatures, member titles, images). Advertising, defined as the buying, selling or trading of any commercial or personal product or service, or the solicitation of money, such as for investments, charities, or private gatherings.
Do not post links for the purpose of selling, soliciting or promoting by someone that has ownership or other "vested interest" to the web site involved, including efforts to promote other online forums, blogs, or web sites by web site owners. This includes posting messages for the sole purpose of promoting personal agendas that are not appropriate in the opinion of forum moderators. We do not allow links to other blogs or forums in posts anywhere on the forum.

A link to your personal page is allowed in your profile as your homepage. Commercial links are not allowed as your homepage. Links must be appropriate and abide by the forum rules or they will be removed.

Posts and links about fundraising (including nonprofit fundraisers) are NOT permitted. Please do not post casting calls for Radio or TV appearances. Please do not post asking for information for research, surveys, or school projects.

Links to informational, inspirational, and educational sites not related to products or services are permitted when they are posted by someone without any "vested interest" AND whose purpose is NOT to solicit, advertise, promote, fundraise, etc. This includes links to outside agendas that are outside the scope of our main purpose, which is recovery from addictions and recovery for friends and family members.

Links, broken links, counters or trackers are not allowed in signatures, member titles, avatar images, profile picture, or any other image. Do not post images with scripts or codes linked from another site (clickable images). All links that violate forum rules will be removed without notice.
Dee
SR
Old 05-30-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you checked out the existing apps?
Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Have you checked out the existing apps?
That's why I originally asked for recommendations for other apps, I'd certainly be interested in seeing what's out there currently. Dee, thanks. I had no idea it would be against the rules since it's not profitable and could be complementary to this site (and potentially drive more traffic here), but I understand. I will refrain from posting again about it other than as you said maybe just a quick note when/if it is completed. Appreciate it!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Dee for posting the Rule, and thank you for understanding Cahabr.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cahabr View Post
Thank you so much. These ideas are great!

A non 12-Step recovery app would be nice. Almost all the available apps are AA/12-Step related. I'd love to see an app that has no worn out and tired AA/recovery industry slogans, clichés and platitudes.

Do something original and unique!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am not sure that it is such a great idea to have people logging through their social media. Most people do not want to publicize the fast that they are in recovery.