Notices

Nights are the worst

Old 05-26-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nights are the worst

I survived night one last night. I was actually in bed watching TV by 9:00 which never happens. I was so relaxed and calm. My husband was thrilled I was in bed since I usually don't go to bed until midnight and by then I'm super intoxicated. We watched some movies and when the lights shut off I get so stressed. I'm not sure what happens but my heart starts going faster and I get so much anxiety. I know this is why I drink so much but I don't understand why. So I tried deep breathing exercises which did help. I did end up falling asleep only to wake up at 3:00 wide awake again. I have to say I still feel better this morning after not drinking even if I did sleep less. My sleep must have been someone better.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The first week or two I felt pretty good about going to bed sober, but the alcoholic living in my head didn't like it one little bit. He would pitch a tantrum and cause me all kinds of restlessness and anxiety. I was committed to getting sober, though, so I waited it out.

And it got better.

Congratulations on your first night. It's not uncommon to have short sleeping nights for the first week or so, but most of us come through it and get better sleep than ever. I sure did.

Keep it up!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first thirty nights were spent largely within the new territory of insomnia, but actually this further solidified my problem with alcohol in my mind - I mean, if I weren't addicted, would I have needed alcohol to "sleep" every night?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on making it through the night. Anxiety and the increased heart rate, etc are withdrawal symptoms - they happen when your body becomes physically dependent on alcohol. They are unavoidable but temporary and they can range from mild to severe - which is why you always hear so many people recommend seeing a doctor before quitting. I'm glad you have your husband there to help if need be, please don't be afraid to seek help if things get too bad.

Sleep is kind of erratic for most during this time too. Many of us ( me included ) really didn't "sleep" all that well anyway when drinking - intoxication doesn't allow your brain to fall into deep sleep, so that's a HUGE advantage to quitting in that your body can finally get the rest it deserves.

Keep at it and be safe - it will get better!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep going, it gets better.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy, getting good sleep is a problem for most of us in early sobriety. Our brain needs time to get use to turning off without booze. It does get better within a few days/weeks. Try not watching TV before bed....reading is much better before bed. Sleepy time tea also helps. Best Wishes
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sleep gets better. I was like you, I drank to sleep but woke very early.

About day 10 for me and now I fall asleep about 10 and have to set an alarm .... something I never did before.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As you can see by the responses, your first night is very normal, and possibly the next few nights. It's a huge issue. Rest assured, the more days you put between yourself and your last drinking episode, the sleep will get better. Slip once and you'll be right back to square one. Rootin for ya.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you for posting this - i just made a doctor's appointment as my sleep is terrible! i still sleep way better though than when i was drinking. hang in there - it all gets easier i promise.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy and congrats on day 1. What you are experiencing is exactly what happens to me. I feel ok in bed, I read and watch Netflix and then when I try to sleep, I have all kinds of weird stuff happen. Heart racing, can't swallow, will snap up trying to catch my breath. This is only during detox, I should point out. I know you say you drank because of this but I suggest it might be because of the drinking? Have you considered visiting your dr and getting some meds to help with the first 5-7 days? Why suffer?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Suzy, I agree with Frickaflip, see your doctor and get some meds to help with your symptoms. You are going through a physical withdrawal, even if you didn't drink as much as other people. You could have anxiety, sweating, insomnia, shaky hands, nausea, pee a lot....this is normal. When I was in rehab I was given librium and it helped a lot.