Notices

Just be you weekender May 27th

Old 05-26-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome intro Ken I'm in
Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well ken to your original post " the real you", i have been trying to figure out the real me since my journey to sobriety began. Im 45 and still dont know who i really am so your weekend theme really resonates with me. Secondly, there are traditions every memorial weekend in festivities of rememberance of those family members and veterans that are no longer with us. Im going, but i have great concern of making it out the right way.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

welcome zeekie... alcohol defines us... actually it doesn't,
If you know the story of "Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde", alcohol was our potion. It didn't necessarily turn us into evil monster people all the time. But it definitely altered who we were at times. Some more than others.

What I have learned after getting sober is that I can be the same fun loving guy without being drunk. I admit that in the first six months to a year or more I thought I wouldn't be able to 'enjoy' life again. Once I got used to not drinking as a way of life I discovered that I can have more fun and enjoy life much more without it. And I can recall everything the next day as a bonus.

I'll never have to hear this again, "You should have seen yourself last night."

I'm sure many if not all of us had heard that at least once. Isn't it sad that someone would actually say that to you? It means that they knew you were on a different plant, metaphorically speaking of course.
"You should have seen yourself last night." Wasn't it embarrassing to hear those words? It means you were not the real you.
Now you can have a clear mind, have the ability to act in a responsible and socially acceptable manner, still have fun and be silly if you want, but most importantly, you'll be able to remember and recall your entire evening and be present at all times. Nothing is more real than that.
None of has to become Mr. Hyde ever again. Clever name don't you think?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great post Brain.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The "real" me is in!!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in--sleepy, but in
Old 05-26-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

When I was drinking, I thought alcohol allowed me to be the real me. I could talk to anyone, be silly, laugh, have more fun. I'm a pretty serious person, and kind of shy. A bit socially awkward at times. Well I thought I was. Alcohol helped me out of my shell,,or so I thought. Actually, it made me reckless and irresponsible if I had more than one or two. In early drinking days, I could stop at that one or two. As time went by, one or two was just getting started. Then I became a different person. One I didn't like. One I hated, actually. NOT the real me.

Quitting drinking has forced me to start figuring out who the real me is. And you know what? I am starting to like myself. I'm not so serious. I'm not really all that shy or awkward. I'm comfortable talking to people. Looking them in the eye and smiling. I'm not so self-conscious. My relationships with people are so much more real, not clouded by alcohol. I don't have to be ashamed of myself or my behavior anymore. I don't feel driven to make others like me. But they still do. Amazing! If I'm genuine, people see that and appreciate it. Do I really know who the real me is yet? Hell no. But it's been fun starting to figure it out.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm on!

And I can't wait for this big holiday trip with K!!!

Luke Skywalker himself is packed and ready
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Skywalker.jpg (79.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. It will be tough as we are going out to my friends ranch to celebrate his birthday and the long weekend. Everyone will be drinking but me and the kids. I'm prepared to be called out for not drinking and the bashing my buddies will give me. I'm sure it will get worse late into the night when we are sitting around the fire or go trail riding in the woods and have the normal beer stops. I'm for the challenge starting day 3 of my sobriety today.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good morning...I am in! But I'm traveling for work today and to see family over the weekend. I really don't know when I'll even read the intro, but I am here, whether I post much or not!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Save me a seat on the bus! I'm in.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
When I was drinking, I thought alcohol allowed me to be the real me.
I could talk to anyone, be silly, laugh, have more fun.
I'm a pretty serious person, and kind of shy. A bit socially awkward at times.
Well I thought I was. Alcohol helped me out of my shell,,or so I thought.
Actually, it made me reckless and irresponsible...........
Bullseye, MLD
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
bullseye.jpeg (6.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
welcome zeekie... alcohol defines us... actually it doesn't,
If you know the story of "Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde", alcohol was our potion. It didn't necessarily turn us into evil monster people all the time. But it definitely altered who we were at times. Some more than others.

What I have learned after getting sober is that I can be the same fun loving guy without being drunk. I admit that in the first six months to a year or more I thought I wouldn't be able to 'enjoy' life again. Once I got used to not drinking as a way of life I discovered that I can have more fun and enjoy life much more without it. And I can recall everything the next day as a bonus.

I'll never have to hear this again, "You should have seen yourself last night."

I'm sure many if not all of us had heard that at least once. Isn't it sad that someone would actually say that to you? It means that they knew you were on a different plant, metaphorically speaking of course.
"You should have seen yourself last night." Wasn't it embarrassing to hear those words? It means you were not the real you.
Now you can have a clear mind, have the ability to act in a responsible and socially acceptable manner, still have fun and be silly if you want, but most importantly, you'll be able to remember and recall your entire evening and be present at all times. Nothing is more real than that.
None of has to become Mr. Hyde ever again. Clever name don't you think?
Oh man.. you should have seen yourself last night / what were you up to last night while laughing / you were on a roll last night girl.... I hate all of those because as you say, once we are back to our normal selves we do not resonate with the person they are referring to.

I hope to never be the woman drinking with the men outside while the "boring old hags" sit inside drinking tea. I honestly thought I was the most fun chic around, only to find out I was the joke all along.

It will take time to earn respect back but I am not in a hurry. Right now I am sitting here trying to convince myself not to drink tonight, that's it.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
I'm on!

And I can't wait for this big holiday trip with K!!!

Luke Skywalker himself is packed and ready
Behan... Is that a pic of you with the dog????

And this is a staycation so it will be relaxed. But I want to do a lot. Get a lot of exercise!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BronzeMist View Post
I'm in for a sober weekend. It will be tough as we are going out to my friends ranch to celebrate his birthday and the long weekend. Everyone will be drinking but me and the kids. I'm prepared to be called out for not drinking and the bashing my buddies will give me. I'm sure it will get worse late into the night when we are sitting around the fire or go trail riding in the woods and have the normal beer stops. I'm for the challenge starting day 3 of my sobriety today.
Welcome to SR and the weekender BronzeMist. Can you tell us how it does. Good, bad, or otherwise. We don't plan to fail and you don't seem to be but if we do not hiding is key to getting back at it and taking the lesson of the failure forward.

Enjoy the trip.

K
Old 05-26-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Zeekie... You NEVER need be that girl again. Freedom from drink and drugs is possible. The kind people here are proof. The same can be for you.

Repeat to yourself " I won't drink today and I will never change my mind."

Squash any thought that challenges that statement. Write it down. Post it. Put it in your purse. In your car. On your bed stand to see when you rise and sleep.

You can stay sober.

Ken
Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Behan... Is that a pic of you with the dog????
I believe that is Luke Skywalker with dog, not Luke Skywalker, the dog.

Or, Behan, is it.........
'Luke, I am your Doppelgänger.'

Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I won't drink today and I will never change my mind.... wow I love it!!!

Thanks Ken!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm on board for the long holiday weekend!

One thing about being sober and real, there's no more lies or deception. No more sneaking around. No more pretending. Emotions and feelings may be raw but at least I feel them now. I see myself as I am, not through booze colored glasses, and I don't hate myself anymore. I call that pretty real.
Xo

Last day of work this week! Yippee!!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

ha, I just read my post --- a different PLANET not plant hahahaha, but you get my meaning...

welcome to all the new riders... stick around for the entire weekend, BronzeMist, get yourself a pack of ginger ale for the ride, it's quite refreshing.

Since I know I am going to be covered in dirt, I already made the wife's lunch and have it ready. And I discovered the 'sun tea' container was used for the garden and is not fit to use for human consumption... not sure why we have a watering sprinkler thing... it's not even a pretty one...

I cut up broccoli and carrots for myself to snack on during the day. Need to put some drinks in the refrigerator. Mango flavored vitamin water hits the spot... I'll have to figure out how to make sun tea... seems every year the same routine.... home depot for a few things, wally-land on the way back for lemons and a cheap container to make sun tea...

Melina, look for a garden pic today...

over and out