SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I almost gave in to it today! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391858-i-almost-gave-today.html)

Wtbaf16 05-25-2016 06:03 PM

I almost gave in to it today!

Very stressful day at work and when I got home I almost gave in to my urge to have " just one" drink. I decided to sit in the living room with my daughter instead and the moment passed. It was a close one though! I'm a little concerned for this long weekend ahead. I have projects lined up but neighbors are already asking for a get together!

Jillian2563 05-25-2016 06:08 PM

Glad to didn't cave. I know with the holiday it can be tough to get thru but you CAN do it. Maybe take your daughter somewhere nice? Hang in there. I'm finding that AA is helps me a lot.

Hevyn 05-25-2016 06:13 PM

Hi Wtbaf - I'm so glad you got through that challenge. Every time we get over one of these hurdles we grow stronger. Making it through holidays & special occasions really does get easier as we go along. I finally realized that there would never be 'one drink' - and that alcohol was never going to actually help me cope.

thomas11 05-25-2016 06:32 PM

Those temptations and cravings will persist for some time. Good job on fighting through it.

FLCamper 05-25-2016 06:51 PM

It does happen less frequently, I find.
For this weekend, I hope you have a plan in place to cope with the neighbors! I don't think most people mean to make it tough on us - they just don't get it.

Dee74 05-25-2016 07:04 PM

Glad you endured wtbaf:)

D

LadyBlue0527 05-26-2016 03:43 AM

Glad you got through it! Not that you have to offer the info but are your neighbors aware that you don't drink?

One of the hardest parts of sobriety is needing to realize that life is going to change. There are people who will remain in your life and those who you're going to have to avoid. The latter is anyone who would not be in support of you if you refused a drink.

Also, any situation that you know is going to put you on the edge has to be avoided. It's hard but it's a must.

If you don't think you can get through don't do it.

Arpeggioh 05-26-2016 04:05 AM

Millions of neighbors get together every Memorial Day without drinking alcohol...and even if your neighbors drink, you don't have to! You get to be the boss of you; you get to make that decision for your own health and well-being.

I say "Damn the torpedoes, bring on the BBQ, nobody and nothing can make me drink this weekend!" So there...I wish you the best. Arp

Soberwolf 05-26-2016 04:09 AM

Tell your neighbours your busy ?

You have the weekender thread & everyone here to talk to to help you through it

CaseyW 05-26-2016 04:57 AM

Great job not taking that first drink last night. Probably best to steer clear of those get togethers this weekend--put your recovery first for a while and you'll be amazed at the results. SR is here 24/7 to help you. Wishing you the best!

thomas11 05-26-2016 08:11 AM

What really helped me was that I made not drinking my #1 priority in my life for about 2 months. I know not everyone has that luxury as we work, have kids, life events and so forth. After those couple months, I had a new normal and everything has gone well.

maimaitreya 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

Play the tape through. Your sobriety is your #1 priority. Don't be afraid or fearful. Just remember; Action, intention(desired result) consequence.
If the action is drinking, what is the intention or desired result? What is the very real consequence(sickness, despair,shame, depression etc.)
Letting our desired result rule the roost can lead us down a twisted, dark path. Instead look at your desired result and form an action that results in a better consequence.

Nonsensical 05-26-2016 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Wtbaf16 (Post 5969182)
I almost gave in to it today!

Perfect phrasing to indicate the separation between you and your addiction. :c011:

FreeOwl 05-26-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wtbaf16 (Post 5969182)
Very stressful day at work and when I got home I almost gave in to my urge to have " just one" drink. I decided to sit in the living room with my daughter instead and the moment passed. It was a close one though! I'm a little concerned for this long weekend ahead. I have projects lined up but neighbors are already asking for a get together!

good for you!!! it's just not worth it.

that urge subsides over time.... keep it up. Each of these victories brings you one step closer to the day when they're no longer an issue.