Notices

Sorry, I must not be ready

Old 05-25-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sorry, I must not be ready

Didn't quite make it a week. I made the choice to drink. I guess I am not serious, not ready, not able or something. Proud and happy for those of you doing so well. I know it is a better way.
If anyone prays out there, I will take them. Hope God can help me get straightened out before it is too late.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Get back up.

What are you doing for a recovery plan?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ToBeHappier View Post
Didn't quite make it a week. I made the choice to drink. I guess I am not serious, not ready, not able or something. Proud and happy for those of you doing so well. I know it is a better way.
If anyone prays out there, I will take them. Hope God can help me get straightened out before it is too late.
One of the greatest lies our addiction tells us is 'its not time yet' 'I must not be ready'....

Noone seeks out a site like SR if they're not ready to quit

Some of us, indeed many of us here, might still drink after that decision.

That doesn't mean you're not ready - it may mean you underestimated the task of staying sober, but it doesn't mean you're not ready

Think about a plan like IvaMike suggested: do you need more support? do you need yo use the support you have more effectively?

so you need to make more changes in your life to better reflect your desire to be sober?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Sure, it can be a lot of work - but so is drinking, and hiding it, and being sick and all that stuff associated with drinking alcoholically...

Redefine your plan, pick yourself up and get back on the right road tobehappier
Old 05-25-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't think I was ready either, but when I finally reached the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, then I stayed sober. You can too.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I didn't think I was ready either, but when I finally reached the point where I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, then I stayed sober. You can too.
Agree. This is what scares me. I obviously want to drink more than be sober, as evidenced by my actions. This seems to be true even though I know it is not sustainable and will lead to health issues or worse. As they say, it truly seems to be some level of insanity. I won't give up hope. Just not sure at this point how it's going to turn out. Thanks to each of you for your thoughts.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know this is a recovery site for those that truly want to quit. I will be slow to post more since while I know quitting is the right thing to do...I am not doing it yet.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I obviously want to drink more than be sober, as evidenced by my actions.
I disagree

I always think of that sober more than I want to drink maxim as like the two wolves:

Feed the right wolf.

You absolutely have a say in this - you're not a passive passenger to the whims of your addiction. Noone is!

D
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Don't be sorry. Keep trying. The only way you lose is if you don't keep trying. I don't know how many times you've tried to quit, but very, very few have been successful the first try. The key is to not give up. Please keep posting.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you continue to read and post here because I think you will be inspired to reach the point where you want to stop. Alcoholism is insanity. My thinking was absurd while I was drinking, but I did get to a point where my health and family were in jeopardy. I do hope that you make the decision to stop drinking.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know this is a recovery site for those that truly want to quit.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...come-back.html

we understand.No one is thinking less of you

D
Old 05-25-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stick around with us bud. This place has people who are where you want to be and people who are where you are. Fact is we are ALL here with you. One of the things that I love about this site is nobody is better than anyone. Here we are all equals regardless of our stage of the fight. If it makes any difference to you I'll bet there are very few if any on here who got sober right off the rip. Fact is we all started by realizing that there is a problem and we needed to address it. Heck I even filmed myself all pickled up one night because I heard that if you saw what you looked like as a drunk it would sober you up. Well. It didn't. I was in the bar the very next day. It's tough at first. Then it gets easier. Next thing you know you are on here celebrating a sober anniversary and helping others with your story. Just remember. You current situation is helping people also. It helps others to know that they are not alone in the fight, the struggle, the emotions, the urges, the fear of failure.

You are not alone.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TBH - sobriety didn't click with me the first few times I tried to quit. Maybe you can think of it as journey down the road of acceptance. When I finally admitted that I had a problem, I figured out how to create a plan to stay sober. I know it saved my life.

Hang in there. We're here for you.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope God can help me get straightened out before it is too late.
As He has done it for many God can also do it for you.
one
Must be willing.
Must be seeking.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really identify with this, and posted something similar on Tuesday. I have had a lot of consequences, I am miserable, and at the point where I can't take the mess anymore ... but, I can't get a long streak going either. I have contemplated quitting for years, but nothing feels "bad" enough to make me throw in the towel. I am terrified that one of these days my post will be that I lost my job or got the OWI I deserve, etc.

It is such a sick illness that as low as I get, no matter how bad a binge was, falling AGAIN, twisting my ankle AGAIN... it just isn't so bad 5 days later.

But I won't give up. Joining this site and reading daily has been a step in the right direction. Reading has been good. I hope you don't give up just because you haven't had perfect success. We are all at a crossroads. You WILL get sober and make it, and be so glad that you did. Me too
Old 05-25-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Prayer has already been sent.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hefner, thank you!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

ToBeHappier, please don't leave. This is the point where you really need to be here.

This is one of the hardest things that you'll ever do. It's through daily support and mindfulness that this takes hold. That's how you gather the tools that will help you be successful. Being around those who understand your situation is important. There's not one of us who wasn't exactly where you are right now and know how you feel.

You want this or you wouldn't be here. Don't give up!

Sending good thoughts your way, I promise, this can be done.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Can you think of anything that you learned to do in life where you DIDNT fail a couple of times first? 🤔We have to learn to live sober, and sometimes it takes a few tries. You can do it!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ToBeHappier, please never give up, we are all rootin for ya.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I can pray all day for a ham sandwich but I seriously doubt a ham sandwich will drop out of heaven on my plate. God does for us what we can not do for ourselves. What God will do is give me the intelligence, strength and ability to get a job, make money and go to the store to buy the things I need to make myself a ham sandwich.

Sobriety is about what I do. I went to a doctor, I went to IOP, I go to AA as a mater of fact I just got back from a meeting. I pray daily, I increase my knowledge of addiction, I read spiritual writings, I post on SR.

Recovery takes time and effort. There is no magic unless you want to call working an active program of recovery magic.

Anyone can get sober if they are willing to do what needs to be done