Notices

Why does my bedroom smell pickled in the morning?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

Why does my bedroom smell pickled in the morning?

Hi all! I am 33 days in but new to the forum. I have a somewhat odd question to pose, and I am hoping others know what I am asking. When my ABF drinks a lot at night, I notice that the bedroom smells the next morning - like salami. That's the only thing I can think of to compare it with. He didn't have salami - he drank copious amounts. No matter what he eats that night, the morning after smell is always the same. Salami. Anyone else know why that is, or has anyone else noticed this? It permeates the room and I am very sensitive to it. Thank you in advance for your responses! Cheers!
Old 05-25-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe pickled liver smells like salami? 😜 Bad joke...sorry. Not sure why you're smelling salami. I know my BO was pretty rancid after being on a binge though.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes. I know in hot yoga I smell all kinds of weird stuff emanating off people when the class is crowded...especially on weekends.

Does he realize that smelling like cured Italian meet in the morning isn't normal?

I feel for you. How bout some essential oils under your nose? That's what I do in yoga. ....that would be very off putting.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

Thanks, Zen! I don't know either. I know my father smelled the same way. Not that I had to get that close; just remember as a kid he always smelled like pickles. Pickled liver, probably.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

Thanks, Frick. Good idea on the essential oils. I'll try it!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the body tries desperately to remove the excess alcohol/toxins from the body.....the liver can only do so much and if one has drank to excess, it's overloaded. so the body will exude thru the pores, the breath and the lower GI tract. if one drinks to excess over time, there is toxic yucky buildup......which actually becomes putrid.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That smell is coming from his pores and it's his body dealing with all the poison he ingested
Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

My husband would sleep in the back bedroom whenever I drank. He couldn't stand the smell of it coming from my pores and my breath. Not to mention how much worse it was in the morning. He said it wreaked like a bottle redemption center. Maybe that's what you're smelling?

So glad those days are over.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

That's a really good analogy. I guess that's what it is. To me, it simply smells "pickled", which is precisely what it is doing to our bodies. Thank you so much for your post!
Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I stood next to a guy at the grocery store the other day who had that awful day after heavy drinking odor pouring out of him--it instantly brought back horrible memories of thousands of hungover mornings. Pickled or salami-like is a pretty good description. I'm glad I don't have to live that way today.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great description, I always thought my hubs smelled"spicy" salami is spot on,I'm sure I've smelled like that too but of course was to drunk to realize it, gross!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha -- reminds me to cross salami off my deli shopping list !

In all seriousness... I know I must of smelled bad when I crawled into bed. But my dear wife never once mentioned it... it was the snoring that drove her nuts. Now that Im not drinking the snoring as subsided ... (Nice bonus!).
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

BTW ,, What's a ABF ?
Old 05-27-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Easy2slip View Post
BTW ,, What's a ABF ?
I believe it's Alcoholic Boy Friend
Old 05-29-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

Hi FormerBeerLover: I didn't think I made up "ABF", but I may have. I wrote it to mean "Alcoholic Boyfriend".
Old 05-29-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BTW ,, What's a ABF ?
If you read on the friends and family forum they have so many acronyms for alcoholics and their relationship with them. It must be like trying to understand all the 100's of AAisms.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Foiled Again

Very true. I was trying to look all savvy with my acronym. I should know better. I used to think "LOL" meant "Lots of Love" and used the phrase to give my friend condolences for the death of a loved one. Luckily, she laughed at me.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Esperons View Post
Very true. I was trying to look all savvy with my acronym. I should know better. I used to think "LOL" meant "Lots of Love" and used the phrase to give my friend condolences for the death of a loved one. Luckily, she laughed at me.
That's awesome.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

BTW ,, What's a ABF ?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-acronyms.html
Old 05-30-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remember canoeing up in northern Minnesota over into Canada's Quetico Park. We packed in a lot of salami. No whiskey. The salami tasted pretty good when fried in a skillet with a little brown sugar as a garnish. Then one canoe went over the falls with the salami and we had to rescue it and hang it out in the sun to dry. Wet slimy, smelling salami. I'll never forget how nauseating it was and the flies gathered and sat on the salami.The guy who went over the falls was not popular. We choked down the salami and spent restless nights in tents to protect us from the circling mosquitos, each one as big as a fighter plane, or at least making a noise like one. They were particularly skillful in finding holes to enter the tent and sting the sleepless campers and we plugged those holes with our dirty, smelly socks.
Anyone out there have a recipe for wet, greasy, slimy, smelly, fly ridden salami? Bon appetit!

W.