Notices

How to prepare.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to prepare.

The first time I gave up alcohol I went to the store and bought just about every sleepy tea I could find along with sleeping pills (otc). I basically drink to go to sleep. I've had horrible insomnia for years. The second time I wasn't quite as prepared but had the tools still.

What are things that have worked for you to get through the first few days and then some? I am still trying to convince myself this isn't forever and I know that's denial talking but it's how I'm getting through it now.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleeplessness does settle down in time. I rested and tried to relax and not worry about sleep too much at the start of my quit.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I bought an oil diffuser for my bedroom, and every night I run it with some lavender essential oil to calm myself and I do fall asleep quickly now. It just takes time, I drank and took otc sleeping pills for years. You'll be surprised how your body will adjust to being able to truly sleep. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are several things that you can do to lessen the effects of withdrawals, but I think you also have to accept that you are going to be uncomfortable for a while. Sleeping pills themselves can be addictive too.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor and being truthful about how much and how often you drink, they can make a good physical assessment of what might or might not help. Insomnia is a common thing in early withdrawal, and sometimes you just have to tough it out unfortunately.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I make sure to have things to look forward to in the evening. I like playing HayDay and Ruzzle on my ipad before bed or reading books I get through my library online. It's also nice when there is something on tv that I really like and have been waiting to watch. I have Netflix and was recently watching Mad Dogs which is pretty funny.
I recently got a Waterpic and use that on my teeth before bed. It makes my teeth feel nice and makes me feel that I am taking good car eof myself. It also discourages me from snacking in bed. Taking a warm bath (with good smelly stuff or a cup of calming tea) may help you. Supplements work different with different people but I have been taking Melatonin (for now) and it is helpful to me.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have found that Melatonin helps with sleep. I used it for a few days when I recently quit, but now don't really need it. I have a set time I go to bed every night. I watch the evening news and by the end of it I am sleeping.
I also found that diffusers with lilac or lavender provide a calming effect.

I also was prescribed some anxiety medication, that I take when and if I need it. After day 5, I haven't taken any.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are lots of really good suggestions on this thread. I think anything you can do to help yourself feel good is the way to go. I have chronic insomnia and there are many things I do. Having a nighttime routine is really important so your body and mind are ready for the day to end. I don't stay in bed if I can't sleep because I find it too frustrating. So, I get up, read a bit, occasionally watch tv and go back to bed. I never use the computer at night because the light has a negative effect.

Know that you are doing the right thing and will feel better soon.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took lovely bubble baths and bought a couple new pairs of PJ's. I'd slather on some good smelling lotion and light nice candles....it all created a soothing atmosphere at the end of the day