SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Triggers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391798-triggers.html)

suzyzipper 05-24-2016 10:03 AM

Triggers

My main question is "Is it a habit or an addiction"? And truly does it even matter? Last fall I was able to stop drinking for 40 days. I have a marathon coming up in June and I would love to take this time off to stop drinking and get my mind and body ready. Everyday I do just fine until evening hits. I sit in the same spot on the couch and pour a glass of wine and fiddle around on my lap top. I know it's so ridiculous and yet I feel trapped. I don't know how to stop this habit. Obviously I know what I should do.

entropy1964 05-24-2016 10:11 AM

Hi Suzy, Welcome!

Well as an alcoholic its addiction, habit and mental obsession..mainly. The addiction part can be handled safely with medical detox. The habit can be broken through behavioral and lifestyle changes. The obsession? That's trickier. That is fueled by an emptiness of self that can only be handled by finding purpose, meaning and connection in my life. In other words, filling the spiritual void (and I'm not referring to God or organized religion).

If its a habit for you, you should be able to break it in a few weeks. If its an addiction/obsession, then you're alcoholic and you will need support and a program of recovery.

Coldfusion 05-24-2016 10:14 AM

Welcome, Suzy!

Maybe you should try doing something different in the evening that is recovery related instead of alcohol related?

(By the way, you posted in a section for on-going threads with more than one part, so a moderator will eventually come along and move this but in the mean time you may not get many replies...)

madgirl 05-24-2016 10:54 AM

First three weeks were strange for me. Suddenly I craved sweets and I never ate them before because I wanted to be thin. I couldn't sleep much either.

That being said, I wanted off the roller coaster ride of wine, so I ate cookies, I stayed up til the wee hours reading on this site, I discovered how much I loved waking up with no hangover or headache, and I developed new pleasurable habits of watching psychological thriller type movies 😊

You run so that will kick those endorphins into high gear - do it! You will feel great in a few weeks. In the evenings, try changing up your routine. Play a game online - watch movies - drink carbonated water or tea to keep your hands busy, etc

Coldfusion 05-24-2016 11:09 AM

Well, your thread has been moved but you have logged off already! i hope you come back to read and post soon!

Jillian2563 05-24-2016 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 5967379)
If its a habit for you, you should be able to break it in a few weeks. If its an addiction/obsession, then you're alcoholic and you will need support and a program of recovery.

I think frick nailed it. Welcome.

Opivotal 05-24-2016 12:36 PM

I would suggest changing your nightly routine.

Why not start an exercise program?

Get yourself in shape for the marathon. :)

suzyzipper 05-24-2016 01:03 PM

HA. That's called my training plan. I've been training since February and ready to be done.

madgirl 05-24-2016 01:36 PM

Suzy do you find pleasure in running? Is it something you really look forward to or is it the challenge?

MissPerfumado 05-24-2016 06:14 PM

Sitting on the couch with my laptop and drinking in the evenings was me to a tee. When I quit drinking I changed my evening routine and I avoided sitting on my couch for about three months in the evenings! I switched to sitting in my study or lying in bed. It sounds silly but it was necessary. My own couch became a no go zone. I can now sit on it comfortably with a cup of tea but it took time!

Running in a body that has had some sober time is to rediscover the joy of running. (Someone gave me a whole new body to run in ... wait, that someone was me! :)) It has become my substitute activity when I need a pick me up, and honestly it's a better feeling than I got from drinking. Since you're a runner I urge you to find out for yourself!

FormerWineGirl 05-24-2016 06:46 PM

Habit and addiction are not exclusive of each other, as a period of habitual drinking CAN lead to alcoholism. Only you can decide if you have a problem with alcohol, but the fact that you are having to think about it - that's something to think about.