Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 05-25-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 25 coming to a close here in the UK. Birthday tomorrow but I don't have anything planned so won't be drinking . However I am having a bbq for my birthday on Saturday. But it's in the day and I am gonna stay strong. I've got to a point now where I just don't want to drink I'm saving so much money I can't imagine wasting 25 quid on a bottle of liquid. When I can buy new toys for myself. I want some new seat covers for my jeep they are 100 quid so if I resist the next 4 bottles I can afford them.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Day 25 coming to a close here in the UK. Birthday tomorrow but I don't have anything planned so won't be drinking . However I am having a bbq for my birthday on Saturday. But it's in the day and I am gonna stay strong. I've got to a point now where I just don't want to drink I'm saving so much money I can't imagine wasting 25 quid on a bottle of liquid. When I can buy new toys for myself. I want some new seat covers for my jeep they are 100 quid so if I resist the next 4 bottles I can afford them.
Enjoy buying the boy toys Ben and happy birthday for tomorrow x
You've been my sober hero this month. Thank you 😊
Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Checking in all - evening plans full with a restorative yoga session tonight. Very happy it's restorative night!

Happy birthday Ben!

Read thru and caught back up. Looks mostly ok for us...though my hugs are sent to anyone who needs one

Thanks for the movie rec LW. Hopefully that gets better for u soon.

Sorry to hear your situations are still topsy turvy right now JL.

Eagle and Jo and everyone else - thank u for sharing your thoughts. Everyone on here is just fab! Seriously - all of u

Talk to you later and stay awesome
Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

not really a crazy dream but I dreamt I was drinking vodka last night. Seriously! Why can't my brain dream about hot chicks or something why am 8 dreaming about vodka I don't even like vodka
LOLOL ben thanks for that one.... I really LOL'ed.
My mom was just here and had me so wound up if there was any alcohol in the house I would have. So good to laugh about your vodka dream and forget about it.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 4

Hi everyone... On day four alcohol free. Looking forward to working with everyone on here to give and get support for the journey ahead.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome FindingCake & Finallyrdy!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Dude !!
Happy Birthday, !

Thank you country gal. Unfortunately, anyone whose known me on here over the past yr or 2, my life's kinda jacked. I totally don't make the stuff up, but it's a serious mixed bag of blessings and curses. I have to figure on studying meditation or something 24/7, probably . Lol
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Ben

welcome FindingCake & Finallyrdy

congrats on 2 weeks Camery

D
Old 05-25-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Happy birthday Ben! Hope ur day is great. Enjoy that BBQ Saturday. My day was good. Finally getting that interview I was suppose to get last Friday. They r skipping straight to the in person one so that's good. I have several people recommending me in the dept. So hope I get it. I need a new change
Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Finallyrdy, I am on Day 4 also!

This has been a rough day. It was a busy and difficult day at work...spent 2.5 hours with my first patient, had some patients in between, the first of which was late and put me behind, then spent two hours on another super difficult patient. It was fulfilling and rewarding, but extremely hard work that made me just want to go home to my wine. I've been struggling on and off tonight, nothing too major but been on the verge of just saying "Screw it."

I have an app called "I Am Sober," and it tells you the hours until your next milestone, which for today in my case will be starting Day 5. When I started to want wine badly, I looked at the app, saw 7 hours until the next day, and thought... "That's not bad, that's only less than a third of the day to go." I guess it's that get through the next minute, and the next mentality that so many veterans on here have mentioned. I have four more hours now til midnight...two hours to go if I manage to get to bed at a decent time.

I really want this this time. But still dealing with the whole mourning of my previous life routine. Haven't really delved into how to handle my alcohol-free time yet.

The only thing coming up that concerns me is a party for my friend's husband. His wife and I went through college together, and had "wine nights." We are friends beyond alcohol, but I know the expectation is just there. Not to mention two of our friends are pregnant, so the first friend is going to be relying on me to be her drinking buddy since the others can't (she's been having trouble getting pregnant herself, so she's extra sensitive about it all, too). I am embarrassed that I have a drinking problem, and no one in the world but my boyfriend knows. I just am not in a place to tell her, so I don't know how to get around drinking. I know I can't, but I'm stressed about coming up with a reason why not. :/

I know the best solution would be to not go, but I can't nor go... I don't get to see these friends often anymore, and I've been pretty withdrawn the last couple years, so I know they will be very unhappy if I skip out.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I just told her I haven't been drinking lately because I'm looking out for my nutrition, which is technically part of the truth. But her response was that I must drink, and that she hasn't been drinking lately but there will be tons of alcohol, so she will be then.

I'm wondering, have any of you tried a ruse of holding a glass of whatever in your hand and just secretly dumping it over time? Or is that just a completely boneheaded rapid ticket back to relapse? Sigh.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
Finallyrdy, I am on Day 4 also!

This has been a rough day. It was a busy and difficult day at work...spent 2.5 hours with my first patient, had some patients in between, the first of which was late and put me behind, then spent two hours on another super difficult patient. It was fulfilling and rewarding, but extremely hard work that made me just want to go home to my wine. I've been struggling on and off tonight, nothing too major but been on the verge of just saying "Screw it."

I have an app called "I Am Sober," and it tells you the hours until your next milestone, which for today in my case will be starting Day 5. When I started to want wine badly, I looked at the app, saw 7 hours until the next day, and thought... "That's not bad, that's only less than a third of the day to go." I guess it's that get through the next minute, and the next mentality that so many veterans on here have mentioned. I have four more hours now til midnight...two hours to go if I manage to get to bed at a decent time.

I really want this this time. But still dealing with the whole mourning of my previous life routine. Haven't really delved into how to handle my alcohol-free time yet.

The only thing coming up that concerns me is a party for my friend's husband. His wife and I went through college together, and had "wine nights." We are friends beyond alcohol, but I know the expectation is just there. Not to mention two of our friends are pregnant, so the first friend is going to be relying on me to be her drinking buddy since the others can't (she's been having trouble getting pregnant herself, so she's extra sensitive about it all, too). I am embarrassed that I have a drinking problem, and no one in the world but my boyfriend knows. I just am not in a place to tell her, so I don't know how to get around drinking. I know I can't, but I'm stressed about coming up with a reason why not. :/

I know the best solution would be to not go, but I can't nor go... I don't get to see these friends often anymore, and I've been pretty withdrawn the last couple years, so I know they will be very unhappy if I skip out.
Personally I don't plan on telling most people I have a drinking problem and I plan on either saying that I'm on med's that don't allow me to drink, that I'm allergic (which in a sense is true), or just "no thanks".
Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't really see the point in holding a glass of something alcoholic.

It's kinda like suggesting people need to be seen to be drinking (or almost drinking) to fit in - which is what a lot of us think in early recovery, but it's simply not true.

If you want to hold a glass of something in your hand why not make it sparkling water, fruit juice or soda?

D
Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I just can't go to bed without saying hello and welcome to new Mayflies, and wishing a good and sober Thursday to all my regulars here. I love the support here being expressed for anyone struggling to get through a day, or even just random moments. We all know the right answer: don't drink, no matter what!

WhiteTurtle: if I had a glass of vodka in my hand, I know exactly where it would go (hint: not on the ground!) I like the medication excuse, maybe a queasy stomach excuse, maybe a summer dieting excuse...I totally get that a good friend will probably not be satisfied with simply saying no thank you. Maybe you could hint at the truth: "Nah, I've been hitting the wine pretty heavy lately, I think I need a break..." Good luck; pressure to drink is *not* good for *any* of us! And I suspect this will be a challenging weekend for many of us...strength in numbers, my new friends! We're all in this together
Old 05-25-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the input. I will have to ponder it. Dee, the only reason I would hold a glass of wine rather than just get a drink I want like Coke is because I could see my friend physically pouring me a glass despite protests and handing it to me. I'm just not in a place where I want to be honest with anyone else about this. I should just not be going. Sigh. Maybe I will bring a pop or something so that I have something in my hand from the start, and maybe a drink offer will be forgotten.

Sorry to prattle on to everyone. Well, we all made it through another day! I am so delighted that we all seem to be on track despite speedbumps or anxieties. Great job, Mayflies (I stole it, Arp...haha)!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to learn to say no and mean it. It's a skill like anything else

D
Old 05-26-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Morning guys and girls. Day 26 checking in on what is about to be my first sober birthday since records began. Hope you all have a good one. For my birthday this year I want all of you to stay sober today . sadly I'm at work but I don't mind too much nothing else to do anyway.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Morning all. I'm fuming this morning. My dope of an ex really gets to me sometimes. My youngest came back from his this morning with a poxy bit of lego coz "daddy and Rachel and Emily went to legoland at the weekend. He even dropped mine off early so they could go!!!!! Why????
Sorry but this has really upset me 😦
Old 05-26-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning guys and girls. Day 26 checking in on what is about to be my first sober birthday since records began. Hope you all have a good one. For my birthday this year I want all of you to stay sober today . sadly I'm at work but I don't mind too much nothing else to do anyway.
Happy birthday Ben 😊
Old 05-26-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry jo - but I'm glad you're there in their life

D