Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am currently on day 2. Just trying to make my way out of the alcoholic fog that has crowded my brain for the last 12 years. I'm on valium so I won't die from detox. I was on 2 bottles of wine a night. I've been to over 300 AA meetings without them really helping. There's got to be another way and I'm determined to find it. Just feel like I need some support.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sweetichick

D
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome sweetichick! Support is what this forum is all about...and it comes quickly and consistently to everyone who posts. So post some more, and check out our Class of May thread; it's filled with caring folks who also quit drinking this month.

Glad you're here,
Arp
Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Meetings don't keep one sober, working those steps do. Have you worked those steps?
Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome sweetichick and congratulations on getting through your first day sober! Lots of support here!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!!!

Have you researched other methods? AVRT, smart...

There's no one size fits all but you can aid from many sources to device your plan.

I'm so glad you are here. It has really helped me.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! There are many ways to 'skin' this demon. I use kind of a hybrid approach of SR, AA, counseling, exercise/yoga, good nutrition. So there are options. But being open and willing are key. My thinking cannot get me out of my addiction. I need to rely on others to help keep me straight.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Meetings don't keep one sober, working those steps do.
yuppers. meeting makers make meetings.
meeting makers that work the program get and stay sober.

youve been to over 300 meetings yet in an alcoholic fog for 12 years.so, how often did you go to meetings?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sweetichick
Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I managed to make it to 4 days sober and then drank again. I didn't even really want to but it was payday and the bottle shop was right next door to where I got my groceries. So now I'm back on day 1. I went to 2 AA meetings and they really did help but its not a magical cure. I can't do the steps as I don't really believe in God just the power of nature. There doesn't seem to be many options out there besides AA. I feel so tired and depressed again and worried about my health. I really have to just stop no matter how bad I feel and just not pick up. I'm trying not to entertain any negative thoughts about drinking making things better. Thanks for listening.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do the steps with nature as your HP.
Keep trying, you can do this if you want it
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Right. The bottle shop is next to where you buy your groceries. It is a trigger. Especially when money is burning a hole in your wallet.

Buy your groceries somewhere else. Or order them online. Or something. Whatever you do, devise a strategy to address the trigger you now know about.

That's the sort of thing that goes into your plan. Write it down.

And this is exactly what we have to do when we relapse. Pick ourselves up and LEARN from our mistakes.

You can do this.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetchick,

I'm starting Day 3 today. I was drinking daily for a decade until I found SR. I don't believe in God, either. I did start going to church and reading the Bible, looking for Him and a divine intervention, but it didn't happen. That was when I realised if He does exist, He'll lead me down the path, but he won't magic away the problem.
I've learned to watch out for my triggers, one of which is going shopping. I either avoid it altogether or I go with a list and only buy what is on that list. I also remind myself not to buy alcohol at the bottom.
I thought I was a lost cause until I found this site, but reading and posting has been key to my recovery. Every day sober is a step towards something great.
Stay with us and tell us more about you. We can do this.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
You can do the steps with nature as your HP.
Keep trying, you can do this if you want it
Exactly what I was going to say. Woah, the force of nature could be a pretty strong HP to tap into. Plus, it can be found in every turn of the weather, in every weed that forces through a crack in the pavement, in every ant colony... everywhere.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a recovery plan helps have you tried secular meetings ?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey all, Thanks to all for giving me a hint about avoiding the shopping trigger. I'll try that out next payday. Payday is also a trigger. I'm now on day 3 and are feeling heaps better. I've been living on vegetable soup which seems to be restoring my health. I had a panic attack yesterday but managed to get through it. I went to AA again and found a person who got sober by meetings without worrying too much about the steps. He's got 15 years up. This seems like a great forum for ideas. I'll just keep plowing along. I've been told in 6 weeks I will look like a new person. Hopefully my liver enzymes will be back to normal by then as well.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Did you have s sponsor in AA and work the steps. Those are the things helping me most.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

The steps helped me see my behavior better. Some power in the universe helped stop my cravings and obsession to drink.

Simple, not easy.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I also found a lot of help studying the traditions and applying them to my day to day life. As my sponsor taught me the steps are for changes in myself, traditions to change how I perceive others