Notices

No Complacency Weekender May 20th Part 2

Old 05-22-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good job on pouring the wine out, Tetra. Pat yourself on the back for that.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

way to go, tetra. I may not say it every day but I am so glad to know you.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

btw, how much are you going to be a california man Mesa?

Tetra, not sure what to say, glad you dumped it, but I am dumbfounded that you picked it up in the first place --- I know, your addiction counselor said that's what 'they' do. It's time to move on. I don't share how I am not happy often. I tend to focus on the happy brain. The brain that likes to play and avoid reality. Or better, don't let it bring me down. I have zero social life, I hardly spend any time at all with my spouse - and most of that is just because we live in the same house and it's unavoidable. Yeah, we do things occasionally together, but we are worlds apart much of the time these days. I used to just drink and take it all in stride. Now I don't drink no matter what. I won't even tempt myself or fool myself into thinking I can. All that would do is make my life worse.
The old hit your toe with a hammer to forget about your headache does not apply to drinking. EVER.

I casually told the wife my fly rod broke. Are you ready for this? She said, "That's okay, you have other fishing rods." It's like telling a drummer when his snare drums breaks, "That's okay, you have other drums." She just doesn't get it. I like the drummer analogy I just made up - I'm going to use that again.
Well, there is a 25 year warranty on this rod. And the lady asked me -- do you still have the receipt. UH, yeah, but it being over ten years old it is nothing but a blank piece of paper now.
This model was discontinued. I need a 3wt! And I am going to return this one and hopefully get a comparable rod for little or no money.

Trach - give up fishing? The day I give up going to the bathroom... by myself at least. hahahahahaha

keeping weights and workout equipment in the way. Mandolin is out at a crossroads - even fifteen minutes in passing is useful....
Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My upstairs neighbor is either:

1. Exploding land mines
2. Teaching elephants to jump rope.
3. Training for a marathon and has no where else to practice.
4. Going for the world record in dead weight lifting
5. Turning her apartment into a clandestine bowling alley.

Thank you for letting me blow off a little passive aggressive steam.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I need my friends today. I am not so OK.

Got my results back from the neurological exam. Interesting.

In all fairness there was a lot of good. I "ranked" "superior" in a number of categories that reminds me that maybe I am ok. I say "ranked" because putting people... Unique people... into boxes is never something I endorse. People rise to meet many challenges. No number will tell you that. Look at all of us for pete's sake. I say "superior" as that's the category not the mindset of the result.

But I was officially diagnosed PTSD. Yeah Yeah... We can say a lot has happened and we are "PTSD". But when someone clinically says you are? Well... Hmmm... Maybe I should listen?

Perhaps... Just perhaps.... If I believed I had what they say I might be able to focus and over come the symptoms.

I had a full day. No need to decide... Determine... Deny... Accept... Anything today.

Eff that. I have jalapeņo poppers in the oven.

K
Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

We're here, Ken. What a relief to get a diagnosis. I know it's not a happy diagnosis but it comes with a map to a little insight and hopefully some well deserved healing and relief.

Major hugs your way, sir.
Jalapeņo pop your way into a nice nap, that'll help, I hope
Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

yeah, they'll drag me dead from the creek, too.

Weasel. You, PTSD? Those people are nuts.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Do your best

Waiting for the latest episode of 11 22 63 to start wanted to pop in and say thank you Mecanix Ken & Everyone for another excellent thread
Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi, all,

Was up with the birds again today. Drats!

Just got back from browsing around a big art crawl. It's hot and I just finished some carryout; I think I'll rest for a while. I've decided I don't have a cold. I have an opera. It just goes on and on -- sometimes high drama, the rest low energy.

Your friends are here, Ken. I'm with Melina. It's good to get a diagnosis. That's a first step in the healing process. (((Ken)))

Tetra, take good care. I think LBrain was right on with the toe/hammer/headache analogy.

OK, gang. I'll check in later.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

BTW, there have been 68 posts so far. OK by you folks if I say "Thank you times 68" instead of hitting the thanks 68 times?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

((((Ken))))
We are here. Just give it time to sink in.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

So I bought myself a really nice Bluetooth speaker about a year ago. Used it for a while and then sort of set it aside to languish. Got it out today. I need to download more music to my iPad...
Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Great job on dumping the wine Tetra.

I also have had that "self-destruct sequence" which is triggered by too much good
happening to me at once.

Fortunately, I have learned how to disarm it, and it sounds like you are getting
the hang of it too.

Be proud you responded well--next time you'll see it earlier and nip it in the bud.

P.S.
Think of how much chocolate you could have bought with that wine money girl. . .

(((((((Ken)))))))
Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey tetra ,
close call eh ? i'm glad you came through .. sometimes those evening where we could seemingly get away with it are tough .
With drinking hopefully the only person we hurt is ourselves with our resolve gone and a slope slipping away to more lostness .. in my experience it ends in pain and misery however it starts .

I hope you redouble the attitude of gratitude and all the tools you have learned so far , it's important to keep going forwards even if it's pigeon steps

Bestwishes, m
Old 05-22-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on dumping Tetra, it can't have been easy

Ken, maybe your diagnosis is the beginning of the road to full recovery. Psychotherapy, the usual treatment for PTSD, can help you to see things in a different way that reduces or eliminates the day to day damage caused by past trauma. Skirting close to medical advice so I will say no more but it is by no means all bad news Ken and maybe the opposite, like Melina says "well deserved healing and relief"
Old 05-22-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
...holds the key

((((Ken)))) We are totally here for you brother
Old 05-22-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

sorry about the diagnosis K, but glad you got it - now perhaps it can be addressed as it is known... I may actually be suffering the same malady... hmmmm

anyway, came back to share something... as I was washing my waders off, I unfolded the 'gator' portion and this little guy fell out. he's about 7mm in length. this is what the fish eat. now I just have to find something to match it in my little box of goodies underneath you can see it has appendages that would have been six legs if it had made it to adulthood... tasty I bet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
little fella.JPG (55.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I haven't read all the way through, so I am not trying to not acknowledge any posts - if that makes sense. Reading on my phone is difficult, my eyes are buggy and I think that's a leftover from the alcohol yet (I have a super strong prescription as it is).

Going to an evening meeting; not really even feeling the need but it's the same one as last week and I want to both show my face and see how the others are, including my friend. They usually go to a sober cafe afterwards, I think I'm going to check that out, too.

Truthfully, I want to stay home and crochet some more!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LB you might like reading (Wiki or similar) about Scottish woman Megan Boyd, a legend in the fishing world

Nightfall here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160522_215311.jpg (49.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-22-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Marty, you ever use Spotify or Pandora? So fun to customize channels over time! And they're freeeeeeeee