Notices

No Complacency Weekender May 20th Part 2

Old 05-22-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Good morning!
Just finished my paragliding instruction. Was cleared to take the written test to get my license. Woo-hoo! Pretty proud I have to admit.
Skydiving without the plane! Ha. Enjoy, and congrats.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Neato Burrito, GS!

See a lil Vid 'inspiration' here. Yah, I know this is different. But, fun to watch. A Pal's Son works for 'Go Pro' Cameras outta near Salt Lake City. He 'Chutes into Football Stadiums in Formations. Has a blast in Life, to be sure.

Way to rock the Night, Madgirl! Feels good!

This tame RV Campsite Robin just flew up, and landed about 1' from me on the Picnic Table. Cruisin' for Snax. Lovely, cool Weather for our last Day here before starting the trek back to Colorado. We're gonna try out a Dive Diner that's touted for the Breakfasts.

The Decibel Drama Dame in the massive RV one Row over really kept it down yesterday. This end of the RV Park is very sedate. As we like it. Did Laundry yesterday, and BS'ed with a new Cook who's living here while working the Inn across the way. Nice Guy with a Pit Bull which was as sweet as can be.

Wishing all a sedate Sunday...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

somber, but sober this weekend. Old wounds that I inflicted on others during my drinking/pilling days resurface at times. I recognize them, then let them pass. Remaining sober is what I can be.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning everyone.

My back is still hurting, I can't wait till I go to the doctor on Tuesday.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'll just keep us busy while I wait for Mesa's GoPro link.

...also, I have stories about skydives into "events." I was in a women's exhibition-jump group and we made too many of these kinds of jumps. It's really nerve-wracking: you have to do a lot of recon, and there are always trees, power lines, buildings, cars, whuffos and other dangers waiting in these jumps. Did not likey.

Give me a nice, open dropzone any day. We did get $$$ for it though.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

SUinDE...and Graced....feel for you. Hugs

Wow, Bim! So many here lead incredible lives. I have a very limited little prosaic life, myself. No skydiving, no foreign lovers...lol !!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Once upon a time I thought I'd try skydiving. Before kids. Now, no wayyyyyyy. Plus I'm afraid of heights. My limit without feeling panicky is a stepladder.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Bimini I've had the "privilege" of being on a couple of shady demos. Fun at the time but now I wander what I was thinking! At lest you got paid.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Great job madgirl. I know your support has been limited. I am so glad you prevailed! Great job!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Bimini I've had the "privilege" of being on a couple of shady demos. Fun at the time but now I wander what I was thinking! At lest you got paid.

Oh, I'm not talking about Outlaw Jumps*.

I'm talking about jumps with clearance into church bazaars, strip-mall promotions, Fourth of July celebrations, City events, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, rodeos, TV & radio station promotions, car dealerships, we even jumped in with wedding gowns as a promotion for a caterer. That was a nightmare.

*those are ones done without FAA clearance, no law-enforcement clearance, just basically illegal - I've done a few of those too. My 21st birthday was an outlaw jump out of a helicopter into a restaurant parking lot where we had dinner reservations. No one except the owner (who was a friend) knew we were coming - and it was touch and go as to whether I'd be spending the night in jail.*
Old 05-22-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wow! bim you are braver than me

Petals - if you are near to a Library you can go online for free for an hour or two
Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

you call whuffos dangerous? dangerous to your fragile psyche maybe...

glad everyone is doing alright...

I have very bad news to report. My 3wt fly rod snapped. It was my best rod. But I deserved it. Instead of breaking it down and putting it into its protective case, I just stuck in the jeep complete - it goes the length of the jeep inside. And hurried home to be here before the missus woke up and discovered I went fishing. I stopped and picked up a case of waters and when I turned left, the case slid right - right into the fly rod and it bent and went "SNAP!" I just looked at it and thought c'est la vie... Except it wasn't a cheap rod and I - well I still have the 5 wt.... oh, for those of you who do not understand, fly rods are categorized by 'size' - weight... the lower the number the lighter the rod - and the more fun it is with a bigger fish. a 5wt is a typical middle of the road weight for the average trout fisherman. It's complicated but that's the idea. Now I'm mad. Plus I broke off a dropper fly when a trout hit it by "setting the hook" way too ******* hard like an idiot. It's just that it took a while for one to finally take my offering and I was a bit overzealous on the set. $2.50 fly and 10" of tippet stuck in a trout somewhere. He'll shake it though. I forgot I had 6X tippet on. Another dumb mistake by operator today. Maybe I should hide the rest of the day...

And, I have a leak in my waders - my good ones, and I just busted an expensive fly rod. Guess that'll learn me to go fishing instead of doing housework... hahahaha

I didn't eat the avocados yesterday so I made a batch of guacamole when I got home - the new breakfast of champions! At least I got that going for me today.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Once upon a time I thought I'd try skydiving. Before kids. Now, no wayyyyyyy. Plus I'm afraid of heights. My limit without feeling panicky is a stepladder.
I tried it to get over my fear of heights.

didn't work

As a fellow fisherperson, I empathize with your fishing tragedy Brain.
It is like losing a friend to lose a favorite rod, isn't it?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Brain, might be time to give up fishin...

Old 05-22-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

OK ~

Now that I'm back from a massive Breakfast, and not starving, I can focus properly to post this Link...

- Macho Wing Suit Stunt -

A nice, fairly-quiet time O'Day to see the nearest lil Town we went to. A badly-shaking Alkie - or so it would appear - wandered in to sit at the Counter, and a few others made a Sidewalk appearance. Sad stuff, to be sure. Outside, I gave away my 4 carefully-wrapped Slices of Toast to one grateful Gent.

There but for the grace of Zeus...

Soo_prise, soo_prise, Gomer! Or, should that be Sao? Here's one I no idea was written by Ron Wood...

- 'California Man' ~ Cheap Trick -
Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Meanwhile I have just done 12 pushups and 8 easy dips [heels out ahead of me but still on the floor].

I have my dip bars and kettlebells out in the main intersection of the house so I can do a little here and there between internetting and reading in bed.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Well, lunch was a cheese stick and v8! I've been eating way too much junk the last few months and I need to get back on track.

Sol...I like to do random mini workouts throughout the day, too!

Sorry about your rod, Brain.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I am back at the city house. My dad is away on business so it's just easier their main house is in the country and I work here so I don't have to depend on lifts/buses etc.

It's just unfortunate that the one time I'm in the city, my best friend has gone to the States on business. She said we must do a celebratory dinner when she gets back. Also her parents live 2 doors down so if I need someone, they are there. And they have been very good to me in the past.

So I'm on my own. And I have a confession to make.

I went for a walk and I had planned on buying a newspaper and a bar of chocolate so I put some money in my pocket. I got to the store and I kind of lost it a bit. I bought a bottle of wine as well. I can't explain it. It was like I was sleepwalking.

So I brought every thing home and poured a glass. I just looked at them for a while. I went outside for a while and came back in and looked at them some more. And then I took the glass and the bottle into the toilet and poured them down the toilet and watched them flush away.

Actually Mex wrote a post about this very scenario a few days ago. I'm not quite sure why I still have this compulsion to wreck everything, even though my life is looking good now. New job and new everything!

I had a discussion with my addiction councillor a while ago after a new guy joined our meetings after he had a relapse after 13 years sobriety. I asked my therapist if he ever feels resentful towards us? I mean I know he works hard with us, individually and as a group. He smiled at me and said "to be honest I don't really, because that is the nature of this".

So I'm going to take a shower and get into clean jammes. Have tea and read my book. Be good to myself because my head is all over the place.

And I hope you all have a pleasant Sunday evening. And thanks for not judging me. I have very few people in my life who understand what this is like.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

That is so amazing, gettingsmarter and bim!!

I'm back from the gym, Zumba was a blast. I went grocery shopping and bought a lot of organic fruits and greens to make smoothie bags ready to go for the freezer. Still have to buy pea protein and maca powder and I'll be all set.

It's a beautiful day here. I'm supposed to go get some sunshine with an AA buddy. I will take him to get an Italian ice.

I wanna close my eyes for twenty minutes, though.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Tetra, that is so wonderful you didn't drink! Great job!