Notices

How do you distract yourself from drinking?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I basically read every article about alcoholism, and success stories....then I read about quitting sugar which helps with cravings! And then I put things into action, and spend evenings...reading, and going to bed early! SR is a great way to kill time
Old 05-22-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Maxime and welcome. You've received a ton of really good inputs.

I can only tell you my own experience. Diversions are important, for sure. But if I'm at the point of having to divert my attention away from drinking, that means the obsession to drink is back, or hasn't left. That means I've been building up to drink. For me to recover I have to completely accept that I can never drink again. I have to surrender to life on life's terms, that I can only control me and my reactions. If I have acceptance and surrender in tact, then diversions aren't necessary. BUT that doesn't mean I just kick back in the back seat of my recovery bus...there are definitely ways of living that help support my acceptance. Yoga, exercise, coming to SR, healthy eating, staying away from sick people and situations, plenty of fresh air. I have to monitor my thinking all the time because my thoughts can get very negative, self pitying and distorted. That is my addictive thinking.

I think, maybe, if you take drinking off the table, maybe try AA again with a completely different mind set, you might have a different experience. Good luck and glad you're here.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

play World of Warcraft, it provides escapism like you wouldn't believe..... it's almost comparable to drinking in terms of it's ability to distract from reality. Lately i been playing at night close to bed-time, helps me relax and unwind from the day, so that when i hop into bed my mind is relaxed and in a good mood.

I set up a fresh account back during the 2015 holiday special. The game has changed a lot (in ways that made the game much easier and casual-friendly), the biggest change is you can now pay for the subscription with in-game gold instead of $15/month. I simply pay with the in-game gold, and thus i play for free. A nice, safe way to kill time when i'm feeling bored

The latest expansion has been "rolled into" the base game, so it's a good time to buy for newcomers or returning players. I hear they will be including some free version of the game with the upcoming movie. Go google about this offer.

Give it a try and lose yourself in the game for a while, you'll forget all your troubles, at least for a few hours.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome, Maxime. SR is a wonderful, supportive place.

To the other thoughts, I'll add this: Don't forget to laugh. We were just talking about this on the Weekenders thread. Early in sobriety, watching "Frasier" reruns proved very helpful for me, for instance.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Distraction may help you avoid drinking, at times. But it's not a very good strategy if it's your only one.

I'd like to echo what Dee said. I'd add that along with developing a sense of purpose comes a feeling of fulfillment and understanding which are powerful tools in your recovery toolbox.

If you focus only on yourself and how you feel, things like boredom seem larger than they actually are.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Give AA a try again. Just try one more meeting and see if you feel worse walking out of there than you did before going.

Try different meetings. It sounds like the meetings you attended weren't sharing a solution. Look for the similarities, not the differences.

Keep fighting<3
Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I work out. I love the natural high weightlifting gives me versus the depressed tenencies i used to get drinking.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you, Everyone! I really appreciate the support! I do want to try out some of the advice you offered. So far there was no luck, but I also did not try that hard, to be honest. I found it easier to just give in... I keep thinking to myself that "I know I can stop any time I actually need to, so then why do it now?" And that's when I realize that I cannot stop that easily. I will work on finding new hobbies this week and just keep myself occupied. Thanks, again!