Notices

Alcohol and anxiety

Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and anxiety

Hi all, i was a member of SR briefly 12 months ago. I went 6 days sober and that was it..ive been back on since then.
Im medicated for anxiety with prozac and i drink for this reason as well and settle my nerves and basically fit in and socially relax ect. Unwind. Down time. Fun. blah blah.
Ive read on this site that anxiety is made worse with alcohol?
Excuse my ignorane i know you're probably thinking derrr how dumb? But ive lived in fog for so long. Im wondering if there is a connection here? Im drinking to relieve anxiety and relax but is it making it worse?
Is the "cure" really the culprit? ?

Ok so i guess my question is.... im not sure really.... um What is your relationship between your drinking and anxiety and mental health?

Is my drinking feeding my anxiety or unrelated? Or in my head? I just dont know myself anymore. I dont know whats going on in my head. It's a constant constant battle. These days im only "happy" when im drinking. I dont have any personality otherwise. Im boring and dead on the inside.

What can i do?
Old 05-21-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back SoberSparrow.

The short answer is yes, alcohol and anxiety are linked together.

What you are experiencing is the viscous cycle: anxiety causing drinking, and the negative effects of drinking causing anxiety. And so on. . .

Put the bottle down. You will feel uncomfortable for a bit, but that will subside over time.

After you break the cycle, then you can begin addressing any other issues troubling you....
Old 05-21-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I was pretty amazed at how very little bothers me once I truly committed to quit. I think it's because I spent every moment that I wasn't drinking waiting to drink. Not to say I never felt anxiety but every little irritating thing didn't bother me. It is a vicious circle.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Craig

I was diagnosed with major anxiety issues, and had a few major panic attacks, but this was all while drinking.

Long story short? The booze was making the anxiety 100 times worse. I still have anxiety issues, however with proper medicine and being sober, it is totally manageable.

I spent years with anxiety and sleep issues. I thought I needed booze to help combat those issues, while all along it was making things much worse.

The problem is you can't properly diagnose mental issues until you remove the booze from the equation. I still take meds for anti-anxiety (talk to a doc and make sure you let them know you have a drinking problem). I basically need something to help me settle down at night and get a solid 7 hours of sleep.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol and anxiety are Besties. Or FWB....

~Bunnez
Old 05-21-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking makes anxiety much worse. Get sober and then see if you still have anxiety. Give yourself a few months sober. I take meds for anxiety (non benzos) and it's manageable. But drinking makes it much worse.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back.

As has already been posted, yes, alcohol increases anxiety. Alcohol is a neuro toxin and repeated use (which causes tolerance and the need for increased doses) creates neuro pathways that kind of 'hijack' the dopamine (and other feel good hormones) receptors. With increased use come dependency which keeps the brain from releasing these hormones without the assistance of alcohol. With continued use the alcoholic becomes physically addicted, wrecking havoc on the CNS. Without alcohol the brain basically freaks out, raising heart rate, increasing blood pressure and a host of other symptoms. When my drinking was more 'regular' alcoholic daily drinking, I believe I would go into sort of a mini withdrawal until I put alcohol in my system. It would be easy to mistake that mini withdrawal as basic anxiety, but its different. Now I'm a bender drinker...I can go months, even years, without drinking. But when I do I drink huge volumes, get physically addicted within a day or two and then have to go through major withdrawal to break the cycle.

I also have GAD and PTSD. But there is no doubt that alcohol makes them much much worse. And alcohol and PTSD is a lethal combination for me.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi and welcome back.

As has already been posted, yes, alcohol increases anxiety. Alcohol is a neuro toxin and repeated use (which causes tolerance.... But when I do I drink huge volumes, get physically addicted within a day or two and then have to go through major withdrawal to break the cycle.
Amazing explanation sir.

Alcohol is not an enigma, it is a drug.

It can be overcome w discipline.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi and welcome back.

As has already been posted, yes, alcohol increases anxiety. Alcohol is a neuro toxin and repeated use (which causes tolerance and the need for increased doses) creates neuro pathways that kind of 'hijack' the dopamine (and other feel good hormones) receptors. With increased use come dependency which keeps the brain from releasing these hormones without the assistance of alcohol. With continued use the alcoholic becomes physically addicted, wrecking havoc on the CNS. Without alcohol the brain basically freaks out, raising heart rate, increasing blood pressure and a host of other symptoms. When my drinking was more 'regular' alcoholic daily drinking, I believe I would go into sort of a mini withdrawal until I put alcohol in my system. It would be easy to mistake that mini withdrawal as basic anxiety, but its different. Now I'm a bender drinker...I can go months, even years, without drinking. But when I do I drink huge volumes, get physically addicted within a day or two and then have to go through major withdrawal to break the cycle.

I also have GAD and PTSD. But there is no doubt that alcohol makes them much much worse. And alcohol and PTSD is a lethal combination for me.
Amazing explanation frick.

Alcohol is not an enigma. It is a drug.

Remembering that is a huge part of protection against relapse.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Darn right they are related. And frick explained it very well. I actually functioned quite well drinking every day because you are medicating daily. Then I quit drinking daily and drank on weekends, with an occasional binge. The binges damn near killed me.

Quitting is easy, staying quit is the hard part.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It does feed anxiety, we think it helps and it does but only temporially but in the long term alcohol makes anxiety and depression worse. The thing with getting sober is learning how to deal with life on lifes terms, not picking up a drink when the going gets tough but learning how to deal with problems without drinking. This is why everyone says here about having a recovery plan, we need it in order to stay sober. Since Ive been sober, my anxiety and depression is now less I feel calmer over all, thus enabling me to deal with anything that comes my way, its amazing really as I never knew how to do that before, I always picked up a drink. It is hard but by no means impossible, you learn. Have a look at my thread "promises" - all this stuff IS happening to me now in my sobriety thanks to AA and my counsellor and to be honest it feels nothing short of a miracle. X
Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I have found my anxiety has greatly lessened as my sober time has increased. I still have a prescription for days when my anxiety is high, but I have found I am often able to calm anxious feelings with deep breathing and walks, that was not the case when I was drinking daily.

Sounds like you have worked with your doctor since you have prescriptions, have an honest conversation with him/her about your drug/alcohol use. I know it may be an uncomfortable conversation, but it will be a good start to help you begin on the road to recovery.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow. Wow. Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply.
I seriously had never made the connection. I am shocked. Its a real light bulb momemt for me. Thank you
Old 05-21-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me there's definitely a link. I've had panic attacks since I was 19 (35 now). I've always been anxious, and I'm sure I was self medicating a bit with booze. Alcohol, tho, just made my anxiety and panic WAY worse, especially those days after a few days of heavy drinking. Almost 5 months into sobriety now, I still have panic attacks and anxiety, but it's not nearly as bad or intense. I just got back on anxiety meds. I'm hopeful meds and sobriety together will help temper my anxiety more so. It has in the past.

Best of luck.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcohol keeps emotions and feeling drowned. When I don't drink after a few days I start to feel like I can't catch my breath, I become anxious and nervous. It's a tuff situation. I exercise and attend AA meetings daily. I also have started chanting mantras that I've found on utube as a form of meditation. All of these help me considerably. I'm early in recovery so the anxiety is definitely there. I've been told it will subside with time and sobriety. I also quit smoking weed as it was contributing. (No more marijuana maintenance) I still drink a bit too much coffee and I know it doesn't help. One step at a time.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I fight with horrible anxiety and depression myself, and booze is a very common player in people like us. On one hand, it works like a miracle cure to get rid of the anxiety, depression, and makes you happy, but it comes at a cost. For that night of relief, will come often times days of anxiety hell as the alcohol in the hangover stage causes all the bad symptoms to flare up 10fold.
I think this is why many people like us have alcohol problems as the thing that helps us, at the same time destroys us.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Boxer

To paraphrase Allen Carr (I believe) "It is not the absence of alcohol that causes misery but the presence of it".

I used to think drinking helped relieve it too but learned it's a viscous cycle.

Drink to relieve anxiety, go to bed, detox because of low dose withdrawal, wake up w crushing anxiety and feeling of imminent doom, survive the work day and back to drinking to "relieve" the anxiety.

I used to wake at 3am like that daily. I quit drinking two months ago and now I sleep like a log until my alarm wakes me at 6. Now the vivid dreams are entirely another matter haha!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have always been the anxious type. You know how some people seem pretty chill about life? And others seem like chicken little? I'm more chicken little.

From my experience, drinking alcoholically physically interfered with my central nervous system and made me a nervous wreck all the time. It wasn't just in my head either. My blood pressure was very high and I was constantly worried about many things. The first things that come to mind are....

*People finding out how much I drank
*Ruining my health/death (That was a daily worry)
*sleeping through my alarm clock
*Losing my job due to drinking.

I was an absolute and total mess when I was drinking every night and hungover every day.

So what's it like now? Well, I believe I will always be an anxious person but now that I've been sober about two years, it's what I call "normal person anxiety."

I don't have the peaks and valleys.

I could blabber on for days but all I will say is this:

Alcoholic drinking is terrible for anxiety!!!!! I thought I was going to lose my mind.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I norm drank for years. Always had slight issues with anxiety here and there at the time mostly with social settings. When my drinking took over my life and maybe right before I crossed the invisibly line into the nightmare, my anxiety grew right along with my booze intake. At my drinking peek I had such extreme anxiety to even leave the damn house took over a twelve pack. Anxiety attacks all the time. Was on a higher dose of anxiety/ depression meds and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't work for me while drinking up to 50 beers a day....(yeah who knew drinking two cases of beer on top of meds that say don't take with alcohol wouldn't work?!?!??) After finally stopping drinking complety my anxiety is gone. And I mean absolutely gone. I 100% believe alcohol consumption levels go hand in hand with anxiety in some people me being one of them. I work a very dangerous profession and haven't even had an slight issue with anxiety. It is hands down one of my favorite reasons not to ever drink again. The anxiety and the booze kept me a double prisoner. Never again. It will get better!
Old 05-22-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The first time I had an alcohol induced panic attack, I mistook it for a heart attack. Feeling of impending doom, feeling that the floor would open up and I would drop through, feeling that death was close, etc. I got medical attention and realized it was alcohol related.

I continued to drink for another two years after that, regularly experiencing crippling, fearful, impending doom filled panic attacks either the next day after a heavy drinking session or- towards the end if my drinking- immediately after drinking. I would not wish such attacks on my worst enemy.
I googled this phenomena and it led me... Here. I quit drinking that day and have now been a year and a half sober. The panic and anxiety are gone. It was absolutely caused by heavy drinking.