Notices

Hi

Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I assume you stayed sober? Overcoming temptation or cravings makes you stronger. Nice going. You'll know what to do if it happens again.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I didn't drink. I came close but I think posting on SR first and really thinking it through saved the day.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My plan...

- Being hungry is a big trigger. I have to develop a normal eating schedule.

- I have to think more rationally instead of thinking every little obstacle is the worst thing ever. That creates anxiety and makes me want to drink.

- I did most of my drinking alone at my computer, so if I am having a bad day, being alone at my computer is not a good idea. At that point I need to distract myself and go do something else.

- Stay hydrated .. dehydration is a potential trigger due to the low mood it produces.

- Post daily on SR.

- Do not allow myself to romanticize a drink. In that situation I should read this list and really remember the idea of a drink being a good thing is an illusion.

- I need to remember the fact that just because I'm sober it doesn't mean everything is going to be great .. I just won't be making everything so much worse with alcohol.

- I can't feel like I'm missing out on something .. or that I'm that guy who can't drink and think of it as being bad. I have to develop gratitude and also to realize as I said above, I'm really not missing out anything good. By not drinking I'm missing out on all the bad .. which is a good thing.

That's what I have so far .. is that what a typical plan looks like? Am I cutting corners by just writing it up in a post? Should I be sitting down with real paper and a pen and making that binder one of Dee's links talks about?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I didn't drink today but wanted to again. I wasn't home all day .. I was helping someone move. I had decided I was going to drink .. I let myself romanticize it. But the person I was helping move knows about my drinking problem. When I went to leave he said with a concerned look on his face "be good". On my ride home I thought about what he said and how his life is better now that he quit ... fortunately my common sense kicked back in.

I can't stand being that close to losing the battle ... it's so risky. What if he didn't say what he said, or what if it hadn't meant anything to me. I was that close to giving up.

Sometimes I can force myself back into a positive state of mind but not always ...
Old 05-21-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are you still struggling with making a plan Volshen?

D
Old 05-21-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Volshen
Old 05-21-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee I started writing one a few posts up. What are your thoughts on it?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Volshen, the more distance you put between your last drunk and "today" the easier it will become. I give you a lot of credit for not giving in today. It would have been easy and a reward for helping a guy out. You didn't cave in, and you should be proud.