Notices

Please help

Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help

I'm really struggling at the moment...I've been on a binge, drinking since Saturday and I just want to stop. I've managed to not have any alcohol today but I'm desperate to get rid of this awful feeling and shakes. I just need support to get through the day
Old 05-19-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Believe me, you will find a lot of support and friends here on site.
Each day will get a little easier.
Best to get a solid sober plan into place.
For we can talk ourselves into most anything.
How many times have I fooled myself ?
MB
Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and good on ya for stopping. You can do this. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was in the hospital for detox. It gets better quickly but those first few days are tough.

Can you get some medical help with detox?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, sorry you are not feeling well today. You may want to call your doctor, they can help make sure you are safe through detox.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rufus, we are here for you.

Please don't hesitate to seek medical help if you need it.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post

call your doctor, they can help make sure you are safe through detox.
Yes, thank God for doctors and you need not be alone Rufus.

MB
Old 05-19-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words x how do I stay strong? It's really making me feel like I'm going mental
Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How much were you drinking? You may benefit from a doctor who can help with detox.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jseattle View Post
How much were you drinking? You may benefit from a doctor who can help with detox.
I don't drink everyday, normally at the weekend but it has crept up and up recently....Saturday and Sunday I drank wine 1-2 bottles but then Monday suffering with a hangover I skipped work and went to the off license and bought strong cider...I've been drinking that plus wine Tuesday and Wednesday too....
Old 05-19-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As people say on this site you need a plan, especially for when you know the cravings will hit. You need a way to talk back to your addictive voice which says that you need/deserve/would benefit from a drink. You know that voice is lying so talk back to it!!! Getting sober alone is the hardest. Not impossible but very hard. Alcohol has clearly taken over your life and it will get worse - get help if you can. Help can be on-line, a doctor, a friend you trust, a treatment program, or support groups. Also, READ. You will see yourself in so many stories. Read success stories and stories of those who lost family, jobs, time, etc due to addiction. I know it is scary at first but it is so much easier in the end. I don't know why people think we should be able to heal ourselves from this disease with sheer will power.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm scared to admit it to anyone....that's why I'm trying to get support on this site x I just need to hear what a bad idea it is to drink...I hate how I know it will make me feel better in the short term, get rid of this terrible feeling but long term I don't need it or want it
Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rufus, that was the hardest for me....the mental fight between having to wait out the pain/anxiety, or knowing a drink would calm it. The calming would be temporary and the withdrawal worse in the long run though, and if you plan to quit, muscle through it now. It will be worth it.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you keep drinking you will just prolong the awful feelings. You must get sober for good, and tho it's hard getting thru the first few days, it is possible. Can you see your doctor for help in getting thru detox? Medical help will make it easier to get thru it and stay sober.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What will the doctor do? I'm scare to admit it to them.... I have three children and I'm scared she will alert someone
Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Rufus1979 View Post
Thanks for your kind words x how do I stay strong? It's really making me feel like I'm going mental
Sometimes we need extra help because we cannot do this alone Rufus. You've already reached out here and will find a lot of support and information. You might consider finding some local support too - that could be meetings ( like AA/NA, Smart, Etc ) or perhaps talking with an alcohol/drug counselor, or seeing your doctor. There is most likely a drug/alcohol resource center someplace where you live too that would have information on what's available nearby.

Unfortunately withdrawals are unavoidable, but they are only temporary. As others have mentioned, if you fear physical distress please see a doctor. Even if you don't drink every day it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I will do this x God allowing x it's crazy how happy I am usually when not drinking - its drinking that makes me miserable. Why would I do it? It's ridiculous
Old 05-19-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Stay strong Rufus, I know you are going through rough times now, but it will get better every day. These couple of days will remind you what poison alcohol is and what a great life it can be without it.

Good luck and remember that this is only that poison making you feel empty and anxious. When you will be detoxed everything will go away
Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Rufus. We can all relate to what you are going through. Like the others have already said, withdrawals are only temporary, tough but temporary. You've got to let them play out before you will feel better. One thing for sure is if you keep drinking you will absolutely never feel better.

Come up with a plan, get it in your mind that you won't drink today, with out a single doubt, you absolutely won't drink. Anytime the thought comes into your mind, squash it. It is just a thought and you don't have to act on it. Squashing it is the tough part and the approach is different for everybody. I squash mine by playing it forward in my mind... if i drink now what will my tomorrow be like. I will drink all day and night, waking up hung over as hell tomorrow then have to start the process again to make myself feel better. All the while, I will be missing out on everything good in my life; family, friends, play time with my kids, etc...

You have the power to turn your life around, shape your tomorrow by not drinking today. It gets easier every day you don't drink.

We all understand where you are right now. Reach out to us when ever you feel the need, feel weak or just need to get you through a tough 10 minutes. Always remember, someone in this community has been exactly where you are and has felt the exact same as you are feeling right now. Use the wisdom of our community to get you better.

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I hope you are staying hydrated with water or juices. If you like coconut water it will help put back the electrolytes that you need to get back in balance. Please have someone near to watch over you. Detox is not easy and you may need medical help. It is nothing to be ashamed of or to be frightened of. In fact, it is a step toward a sober life and the way to begin to get help. Do not hesitate to call or get to an ER where you will be safer.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

On Sunday, I was in such a bad way that I actually called 911 on myself and the ambulance came and checked my vitals. I had someone drive me to the ER where they gave me a ton of fluids, Ativan, did bloodwork and monitored me for about 6 hours then sent me home with a script for Librium. I was withdrawing but also having an EXTREME panic attack. And all this was after trying to taper.

If you feel out of control, or disoriented, get checked out. It's important to get yourself physically stable before anything else.