Notices

Please help

Old 05-19-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Rufus-Hang in there buddy. You've got our back-up anytime 24/7/365. You're feeling miserable right now and that's to be expected. Hang in there and it will pass. You have long term gain from short term pain. Think on it this way: In order to build new muscle you have to go through some strain and pain...and that will make you feel sore....but oh what a good sore it is! So, look at your misery TODAY and a 'good sore'. Hang tight, friend.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You're in the right place rufus!
Big hugs
Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing now Rufus?

D
Old 05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rufus1979 View Post
I will do this x God allowing x it's crazy how happy I am usually when not drinking - its drinking that makes me miserable. Why would I do it? It's ridiculous
Man, this was me 5-6 months ago! I feel for you....

You need to cultivate the WANT and the DESIRE to stop drinking, and you must want to stop more than you want to drink!

How can you find that motivation?

Well I can tell you that as hard as it is to quit, it's so worth it! Life on the other side of the alcoholic attraction is infinitely better.

Good luck friend, we are all here to support you! Let us know what we can do.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Welcome. I remember those awful feelings but they r temporary as every one has said. Waking up sober is the best. Stay strong. You can get thru this!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I didn't take any drugs to "help" me sleep when I quit drinking, but then I was on a personal quest to stop taking pills for situations that could be handled in other ways.

Sleep was elusive for me in the first month. I was often up at 2-4 AM unable to sleep. I did find that hot chocolate and toast and coming onto Sober Recovery to read had the effect of helping me go back to sleep at those times. I slept as much as I could whenever I could. Some days that was 12 hours, sometimes it was a couple hours at a time.
Well as predicted sleep is being somewhat elusive! I just want to sleep and not have bizarre dreams waking every few minutes.... It's not helping that my little boy is really unsettled either. My heartburn is still persisting too which I think is what's keeping me up. Worrying about not sleeping is awful too
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

sleep is a bugger at first. But once you break the chains of withdrawal or hangover, I believe you should be able to get a real nights sleep and I also believe you will notice the difference. Its like heaven.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Rufus- Force yourself to eat a decent meal. Try buy some fruit juice and pouring into yourself. The first week I didn't want to eat and slept very poorly. I do know the stress. Honestly at hot shower and any exercise will help. It get much better after 3 days and by a week most of it will be over. You have to do this one day at a time my friend. Just don't drink today and don't think about tomorrow. Just keep reminding yourself you are not drinking today.

Best Wishes.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So it's now 6am and I'm getting up! Foggy head after strange dreams and fitful sleep but the day will only get better! I'm sure of that. I'm going into work as I've not been all week and it was to be an important week too! The shame and guilt- but remember eyes forward - this will not happen again!!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Soldier on, brass it out. You will get through it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling well enough to go into work today. If you are off this weekend have you made plans to avoid drinking at all costs? Stick around here, plan an outing with your kids, binge watch Netflix, go for a hike, take the kids bowling or to the park, read a good book, stick around SR. Avoid any place you will be tempted to buy alcohol.

In California wine is sold in all of the grocery stores. I have had to avoid that aisle for the past few months (almost five!!!) I need to feed my kids so I take on the wine by quickly darting past the aisle.

Stick close this weekend, hope you have a good day at work. I am exhausted and heading to bed.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Alcohol is EVERYWHERE here in the UK too. It is so wrong that such a terrible drug is so readily available and that can be considered "normal"....its effects are far reaching and I truely believe it is an evil poison. I need to keep focused on that aspect of it all. The Devil talking to me when I want a drink...some kind of demon that wants to ruin all that is good in life x
I intend to stay close with this group x the next few days will be ok, it's when everything is back to "normal" that the devil's voice will be become strong again- telling him me it's normal to drink, a little bit won't hurt etc etc all those things we say to justify it to ourselves. I have a massive problem with alcohol that only stands to get worse over time. It cannot be any amount for me and that scares me to say but I have to do it.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

You are wise to recognize the devil will show up, and he will throw a fit. Ignore him, eyes forward, don't look back. Also, as chcarlson said, eat....eat like a pig if you can. Your body is probably starved for nutrition and good sleep. Alcohol rips all of that away from you.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thank you for advice x so I went to work and felt awful but the day got better and I'm feeling stronger x only problem is this awful heartburn and stomach pain...am drinking milk to try and help and then plain potato bread quorn pieces etc
Was glad to get home and know I had support here
Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you are feeling better today Rufus. I had lots of GI issues as well, it will clear up over time. If it doesn't you could always get a checkup too, there are things that can help with physical problems if they continue to exist.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Rufus!

So glad that you got past the yuckies!

Explore this site and start learning. Concepts that I have learned here, like "a plan". H.A.L.T., play the tape, and AV, have really helped me do this.

Hope to see you around. It is so worth it!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I keep seeing "play the tape" what does it mean? X
Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I keep seeing "play the tape" what does it mean? X
It means just thinking ahead to what would happen if you drank. Kind of like watching a movie of the future.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I can play that easily right now...just hope I always can!! I lose my job, my house, my kids!!! I'm ill and lonely and will die alone still sick! That's best case I reckon! The worst is something happens to my kids whilst I'm drunk and not doing what I should be doing!!! I'm making it a dramatic film but I've read enough of people's tales to see what could happen. My kids always gone first I say to myself...everyone who knows me would say the same. But whilst there is drink in the equation, even minimally that is not true...it's is always coming first making me a bad person!! I will not let the devil win!!! I am waging war for myself and my children!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Alcohol is EVERYWHERE here in the UK too. It is so wrong that such a terrible drug is so readily available and that can be considered "normal"....its effects are far reaching and I truely believe it is an evil poison. I need to keep focused on that aspect of it all. The Devil talking to me when I want a drink...some kind of demon that wants to ruin all that is good in life x
I intend to stay close with this group x the next few days will be ok, it's when everything is back to "normal" that the devil's voice will be become strong again- telling him me it's normal to drink, a little bit won't hurt etc etc all those things we say to justify it to ourselves. I have a massive problem with alcohol that only stands to get worse over time. It cannot be any amount for me and that scares me to say but I have to do it.
You are 100% correct. Alcohol is poison, it damages human tissue from the brain to the toes. It belongs in the hardware store next to the other cleaning solutions with a skull and crossbones label on it. Whenever you think of drinking picture the skull and crossbones poison label in your mind, it helps short circuit desire.Yes society has created a cultural propaganda through movies, music and television to sell the illusion that drinking is normal and fun. IT ISN"T.King Solomon warned “Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup,”(Proverb 23:31) . Thus he knew the danger of creating a seductive vision of alcohol. I'm not a bible guy but I know truth when I hear it.
People sometimes say "one drink won't kill you" but they are wrong. One drink will kill you, because it leads to more.