Notices

No Complacency Weekender May 20th

Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm in. This weekend will be tough, my BF has a gig that I've been looking forward to. For the pluses, it's a classier place than some of the dives around here that they play in, and my mom, brother, and sister-in-law will be joining me. Mom's been sober 7 years, my sister-in-law for 6. They know what I'm dealing with so that support will be tremendous. I know in sobriety avoiding bars would be the better choice, but unless I never want to see his band again, I'm going to have to figure it out. So....yea, I'm definitely in!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm in. Complacency seems to be a theme in many areas of my life. Work, relationships, sobriety. GRRR. At least I'm mindful of that.

Hopefully you're less crabby after eating Dizzee's chocolate, São.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders. I am in.

Today I have started almost life -long procrastinated project -went to ear -nose -throat doctor to consult about some issues with breathing through nose. She said I have a defleted nasal septum and referred to hospital for further examination.

As far as I understand, it's pretty common. But I really want this issue solved anyway. Well, one step at a time.

Have a good day, everyone.

And welcome newcomers and welcome back backcomers)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm on!

Thanks for getting us started K and welcome back to the drivers seat!

The theme this weekend really resonates with me. I have been dealing with work complacency this week. Stuff I neglected/avoided a few months ago has returned to bite me firmly on the ass. Getting through it though, facing up to things, not avoiding.

Avoiding is the mind killer.

Welcome to all regulars and new people alike!

B
Old 05-19-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Morning fellow travelers.

Count me in, a little late but I'm here.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Great post earlier Melina - yer just feckin awesome!!!

B
Old 05-19-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I totally identify with what you said about not wanting to think constantly about alcoholism, Melina. I about drove myself nuts in the early days thinking about nothing else but the fact that I'm an alcoholic. It was necessary for a while. But I got to a point where I just wanted to start being "normal", whatever that is. I still think about my disease A LOT, but it doesn't dominate every waking minute anymore. Balance. Never forget, never become complacent, but live life, feel pain and joy, have experiences, be a good world citizen, all that, knowing it's all made possible by sobriety.
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Great post earlier Melina - yer just feckin awesome!!!

B
Love you, too, Mr. B!

Hey I forgot to tell you guys about the MAJOR ADULTING I did yesterday.

I keep having this speeding ticket from Michigan follow me around from house to house whenever I move. I don't know how this little county keeps finding me, but they really want their $204.

I've always looked at the envelopes and figured it can wait. Yesterday on a whim, I went online and paid it.

Guess when it was from... Guess guess guess guess...

11 years I procrastinated and blew off responsibilities. Totally lines up with my heavy heavy alcoholism, with consequences.

Sheesh. I'll say something for my home state, we are tenacious little buggers.
  # 49 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Okay Melina. You get the day off. Today you don't have to think about alcoholism. Go live.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

hey Trach --- just in time for Brain's tip of the day:

Never eat a dish of watermelon after drinking 3 cups of coffee before you put on chest waders and walk into a stream. Especially when you are near a public thoroughfare... it gets dicey. It seemed like every twenty minutes I needed a 'time out'.

finished my breakfast, getting ready to start preparing food for the wife - on work days I strap on the apron. Then going to enjoy the sun while it lasts in the yard. Sunny tomorrow and .......... wait for it .......... RAIN over the weekend again.

Cherrybreeze - good to have a sober posse with you. These early days it important - 'don't leave home without it...

a song to remind us

Last edited by LBrain; 05-19-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: forgot to add song...
Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders. I am in.

Today I have started almost life -long procrastinated project -went to ear -nose -throat doctor to consult about some issues with breathing through nose. She said I have a defleted nasal septum and referred to hospital for further examination.

As far as I understand, it's pretty common. But I really want this issue solved anyway. Well, one step at a time.

Have a good day, everyone.

And welcome newcomers and welcome back backcomers) the
Old 05-19-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Good morning, all!

I'm in!

Good topic, Weas! I'm still struggling with who I am in sobriety, what do I do in sobriety?

I went overboard on AA and now I haven't gone at all in a couple weeks. I feel weird but I also got judged pretty harshly by some of my AA buddies. They are acting as if I'm delusional and about to relapse. They told me that, so it's not just me exaggerating, lol. It doesn't make me really want to return for the short term future.

Everything has a season, everything looks for its balance. I don't need to stress over this. I don't need to measure the worth of my sobriety by what someone else thinks of it. There are a lot of successful paths to sobriety. And it's a personal journey.

Am I sober? Yes. Am I rationalizing a drink, craving a drink, entertaining the thought of one quick bender? Most assuredly, no.

I just want to stop thinking about alcoholism so much for a minute. Let me do some other things. I know that being able to enjoy veggie gardening, taking care of my bees, having lunches with friends, taking care of my house, getting job offers... All the things I have going on can only be executed and enjoyed in sobriety.

Let me enjoy sobriety, not think about alcoholism. Just for a minute. Bc it became exhausting and depressing. And oppressive.

Let my mind be like this Midwest spring that's struggling to happen, let me enjoy the few nice days we've had and smell the fresh earth. Let the sunshine overtake the rain. I appreciate the rain, but I want to feel warmth and growth.

Xoxo

Awesome insights, and I must say... 'Let my mind be like this Midwest spring that's struggling to happen...' <---That's good writing.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good to see you potamus!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Okay Melina. You get the day off. Today you don't have to think about alcoholism. Go live.
Thanks, trach. I promise I won't get complacent out there. Just wanna catch some sober rays without analyzing every thought... I'll be back xoxo
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

PotaWHAT?

PotaWHO?

PotaMUS!

I have no idea where that came from but now it's in my head. Howdy, SoberP!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm in, great to see everybody this morning!

I really needed that topic Ken, thanks for the intro. Every time I get complacent is exactly when I get into trouble. This go around, I have to make a point to remind myself of why I won't drink today. The longer I stay sober, the less i have to emphasize, but none the less, I still make a point to keep grounded. Spring and summer time always gets my AV acting up.

MLD, I like what you said... Balance. I think the longer we stay sober, the greater we are balanced... I just have to make a point of keeping my recovery in the foreground versus in the back of the bus as time goes on.

Happy sober Thursday everybody!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I totally identify with what you said about not wanting to think constantly about alcoholism, Melina. I about drove myself nuts in the early days thinking about nothing else but the fact that I'm an alcoholic. It was necessary for a while. But I got to a point where I just wanted to start being "normal", whatever that is. I still think about my disease A LOT, but it doesn't dominate every waking minute anymore. Balance. Never forget, never become complacent, but live life, feel pain and joy, have experiences, be a good world citizen, all that, knowing it's all made possible by sobriety.
I can relate. For a while in my SR classroom, it seemed as though so much of the talk was about books on alcoholism. (Note: I do love my SR classmates.) And what I really craved was to read an enjoyable books like a normal person, not have to go back and reread a couple chapters because they were too fuzzy in my head.

Off to a meeting in the hinterlands, one that will take me right by Paisley Park. Shall try to snap a photo, if possible.

My equilibrium is a little off after what happened last evening. Slept poorly. Oh well.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I'm early in recovery but feeling good today. I have some stuff on my plate I've got to deal with but with support I won't have to drink over it or through it.
I'm taking care of my sobriety today. No.#1 priority.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Superb Topic, Ken. Wonderful Post, Melina.

I've long thought that the constant, overwrought Obsession about Alcohol is no way for me to truly live. It's too much like a Moth circling a Flame. I say screw the Flame altogether. I got better places to fly to. Mindfulness moderates Complacency.

I have my lil Booze Flashes, and then I induce my Mind to move it on down the Road. Like an old Logging Road I had to focus on yesterday...

Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

complacency ,
arrogance to think i'm centre of the universe ,
rushing in to solve problems ,
working too hard ,
not working enough ,
running the past through my head thinking about what i should have said or did feeling those emotions re-run over me again , a furrow i let time and self absorption dig deep and plough through my psyche ,

projecting into the future and seeing death, hardship and old age, making myself feel inadequate and worried now about not doing enough , adding pressure to work harder , try harder .

Thinking this , thinking that ,

Far too much thinking going on, not enough being and doing .

You are welcome to your sober weekend ,

m