Notices

I'm back

Old 05-18-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up I'm back

These forums were very helpful to me when I had decided to go into detox (alcohol) and after I came out. I was sober for over a year and then it happened (just like my counselor said it would.) Was having a great weekend. Wife sent me out to get take out and I decided I'd get a pint of vodka because I was feeling so good. It was gone by the time I got home. So, being retired with no particular reason to get up early every day, I would sneak a pint every night after my wife went to bed.

Drank100 proof vodka to get the best bang for my buck and to dull the chronic pain from neuropathy and arthritis. After a while my wife found out. She sympathized but was not happy. All our friends and family knew I had stopped drinking and I felt like a fraud, especially to my adult children who were proud of me. This went on for about a year. I was up to a quart of 100 proof per night.

Two weeks ago I went to the hospital with chest pain. i have a high tolerance for discomfort but this scared me. The immediately ruled out heart problem. I was having a gall bladder attack! They kept me in the hospital for 4 days. Very comfortable fog due to the Librium, morphine and nicotine patch . They told me I had pneumonia and could not operate until I got well enough. They send me home with a bunch of scripts. Surgeon said I would die if I did not stop drinking.

Well, pneumonia is gone, feeling better and have not had a drink or a smoke in 23 days. I can't believe it. I never thought I could quit drinking. Please send good vibe and prayers my way as I continue to find strength.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great, Vedette! I'm sorry for the medical problems, but it's great that you have stopped drinking.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 23 sober days, Vedette. I'm so glad you got through the health crisis and are healing. Life will be better than ever.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice going on 23 days. You've had long term sobriety in the past so you know what to do get it back. Sorry about your health issues. I'm sure everything will work out. Sending you positive vibes. John
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 23 days! I hope your health continues to improve!!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Vedette
Old 05-18-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way Vendette!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on the 23 days. A health scare is what got me to finally stop too. You can't really deny it anymore after a medical professional shows you what you're doing to your body. Here's to healthy future for both of us.