Notices

Hey guys :)

Old 05-18-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys :)

I may be posting this in the wrong part of the forum, sorry in advance.

My name is Kiran, I have been drinking since i was 10-12, things started getting out of control when i was 16 and i dropped out of school due to this, and eventually developed major depression and anxiety (undiagnosed) until last year. However things have changed a lot over the past 6 months, i decided to get a full time job (I'm 18 now) and I've been busy working and keeping myself occupied so i have not been drinking nearly as much as just 6 months ago. I also turned vegan. I made an extreme change in a short period of time i feel , and i feel proud of myself, however , i still drink everyday after work and during the weekends, i just have about 6 or 7 cups of neat whiskey before bed or while watching movies etc. I just want to know if this is okay , i just want some peoples opinion on this too, as i don't really go out much anymore and don't have much friends. Hope this wasn't too long ! thanks guys
Old 05-18-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Corse!

I think six or seven cups of neat whiskey is quite a lot. Have you tried to stop? If you can't quit, that is a sign of dependence.

Read around and post here! This section is mostly for substances other than alcohol--there's an alcoholism section and a Newcomer's section that are good to post in also.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alright i will! thanks Coldfusion!, its not always 6 or 7 cups , sometimes its a lot lesser , but i do have intense cravings on the days that i don't drink, and I've been bit worried about it as i am only 18 and alcohol has already ruined more than 4 years of my life , losing most of my friends, and opportunities. I just feel so confused about this, I'm happy that I'm drinking a lot lesser than before and i finally have some sort of direction in life , but i still feel intense cravings for alcohol or getting high . I'll read around the forums , I'm so glad i found this forum!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, and yes, you're in the right place.
I started drinking at an early age, too. By sixteen it had become an obsession which would last for forty years until I was a raving alcoholic.
You're wise to be concerned about your drinking at such a young age.
I had cravings at your age, too. I was hooked by the time I was eighteen.

If want, you might consider not drinking for a week and see if you can do it. It may give you an idea whether you have a potential problem.
You can save yourself a world of misery if you are able to control, or not drink at all, now.
Stick around this place, you'll find lots of support. And try reading other posts. It can be quite eye opening.

Best to you.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Corse. I'm so glad you're taking a hard look at what drinking is doing to you.

I was like Ghostlight - drank young, but did nothing about it until I was much older. By then, really bad things had happened, & I was in danger. This doesn't need to happen to you. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! SoberRecovery is a really great place to find others who know what you are going through and have either been there or are currently still going through it.

Usually a huge sign that someone has a problem with alcohol is that they drink every single day and even though they want to stop are unable to for one reason for another. 6-7 neat whiskeys is a good amount of alcohol, and if when you don't drink you have intense cravings or find yourself making excuses up in your mind to drink that is a big indicator also.

Alcoholism doesn't discriminate by age. It doesn't matter how old or young a person is, if the person is unable to stop drinking then they have a problem with alcohol. Have you considered counseling or talking to a doctor about your depression and your drinking? It is good to be open and honest with at least one health care professional because alcoholism has many underlying problems or can end up causing physical and mental illnesses.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started drinking at 14.....by 36, I almost died on Sunday. Trust me (and I didn't fully realize this until I was in a padded gurney because of seizures) this disease truly really is progressive. A forty ounce of beer used to get me nice and toasty.....last week I drank like 3 pints of vodka a day like it was nothing.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The medical people say anything over 2-3 units of alcohol per day is excessive.. Whiskey = 1 oz per unit.. 6-7 cups is a lot of alcohol!

There's a lot of vegans in my area they don't drink alcohol..
Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll stop drinking for good. It really is a better way to live.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome corse, I'm a recovering heroin addict and got into heroin originally becos it cured my hangovers instantly - was alcoholic first.
If you have it in you to get a drink problem then the risk factor is high when u come across other drugs.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Corse
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Corse. That does sound like a lot of alcohol. Have you ever tried to give it up completely?
Old 05-19-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

When a site like this tells you that's a lot, it's a lot Kiran

do you feel worried about it?

D
Old 05-30-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Welcome Corse. That does sound like a lot of alcohol. Have you ever tried to give it up completely?
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
When a site like this tells you that's a lot, it's a lot Kiran

do you feel worried about it?

D
I did manage to give it up completely for 3 weeks in march , i felt really motivated to hit the gym again after so long, and it was all going good.All of a sudden i lost all motivation and felt like absolute **** , i don't know why, but it happened very randomly and i went back to drinking . I managed to cut back on the drinking this past week, i have not had 1 drink this past few days. I feel very irritated and moody but I'm going to try my best to stay away from the drinks. Thanks everybody for the replies! I'm glad i found this forum!