Notices

Physical symptoms...how long?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical symptoms...how long?

Hi all,

Day six underway. I'm a little more symptomatic than I have been up until now...some retching (but not really nauseous, per say), an odd pain in the top of my jaw on one side with a little bit of a headache on the same side. Still quite tired. :/ A tad shakier, not bad though. I know it varies, but how long did withdrawal symptoms last for you? I didn't think I had to worry about seizures, now I'm a little more unsure.

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First off.... Great going on 6 days!

So for me ....It Took me about 7 days to feel OK... I did stay in bed for several days drank tons of water to "flush it all out". But I did have mild headaches for 2 weeks.

I wonder if the upper jaw and headache pain is from sinus issues? Just a thought.

Are you drinking lots of water?

Take care! You will feel better very soon.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi CherryBreeze-
I am on day 7. My symptoms, except the headaches went away after day 6, which was only yesterday. I too am exhausted. I attribute that to the withdrawals from alcohol, but at the same time, I started a low carb diet at the same time I quit drinkin so I am sure the two combined aren't helping, but I can say I feel better after drinking a boat load of water everyday!

Hope that helps! Hang in there, things will normalize at some point I am told!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Congrats on making a choice to have a beautiful new life! For me, I did medical detox. I was in the hospital for 5 days. After I got out I was still not 100%. The brain fog lasted about a month (couldn't figure out simple tasks) and it took about 2 weeks until my appetite came back. I went to rehab after detox and for the first full week at rehab I still could barely eat. The headaches, heartburn, the runs, the shakes etc. all went away within 2 weeks for me. The fatigue lasted longer. For years I did not sleep...I just passed out. So the first 6 months or so I was flat out exhausted and gave myself permission to go to bed early, nap on weekends, take it easy.

Everyone is different. Take things as they come. Have you seen a physician? Are you taking vitamins? Drinking lots of water and eating healthy?

Hugs to you!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Camery, I definitely could not have gone low carb - I've been eating SO much more than usual since last Friday!
I have Ativan which I know would help the shakiness, but I don't need to be any more tired, that's for sure. I'll keep trying to ride it out, but this is a little scary.

EasytoSlip, I don't have any other sinus symptoms really, I'll try some Advil and see if it helps. I've been trying not to take any so that I will REMEMBER how long this took and refer to it should I crave anything.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CherryBreeze, congrats on day 6.....your jaw pain might be related to teeth grinding. When I was detoxing, my anxiety was high and it would translate to grinding my teeth while I slept or tried to sleep. It should subside in the next few weeks. Best wishes
Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

LOL... yeah nothing but PURE torture to the system, heavy boozing, eating like absolute CRAP, and then BAM!!! No booze or pizza, etc.
But, I have been a low carber all my life, so it made sense to go back to the way I am accustomed to eat, and I feel so much better even after only 7 days. It is actually a pretty easy diet to follow. I tried the whole "clean" eating thing while I was still drinking ( kind of an oxymoron don't you think) and the obviously didn't work!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBQBOY View Post
Hi CherryBreeze, congrats on day 6.....your jaw pain might be related to teeth grinding. When I was detoxing, my anxiety was high and it would translate to grinding my teeth while I slept or tried to sleep. It should subside in the next few weeks. Best wishes
I definitely am a clencher, both during the day and at night, so I have been taking the Ativan at night. That could be, though. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Detox varies but 6 days is really early on so I think what you're feeling is normal. I have had detox take 3-5 days, I've had it take up to 30 days. I'm on day 15 right now and am feeling pretty good. But I'm not 100%.....whatever that is. When I was sober for 2 years I found the first year was continual change, both physical and emotional.

I have blood sugar issues....and drinking makes them far worse. Google hypoglycemia just for grins. If you think it may apply to you, talk to your Dr about tests and solutions.

You're doing great.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Detox varies but 6 days is really early on so I think what you're feeling is normal. I have had detox take 3-5 days, I've had it take up to 30 days. I'm on day 15 right now and am feeling pretty good. But I'm not 100%.....whatever that is. When I was sober for 2 years I found the first year was continual change, both physical and emotional.

I have blood sugar issues....and drinking makes them far worse. Google hypoglycemia just for grins. If you think it may apply to you, talk to your Dr about tests and solutions.

You're doing great.
Thanks, Frick. I've had idiopathic episodes of hypoglycemia before, and they SUCK, no doubt. No problems at this point yet, hoping it stays that way!
I fell down the stairs once and sprained an ankle with a blood sugar of 35. Didn't drink then, either.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Physical withdrawal for me was probably a week or so. It's easy to confuse "withdrawal symptoms" with physical ailments too. Many of us had some physical issues associated with years of abuse, or even completely unrelated physical and psychological issues. Quitting drinking in itself is not a cure for the underlying issues, although it can be a big help.

An example for me was GERD. There's no way to prove with 100% certainty that my drinking caused this problem, but it's pretty likely. It took several weeks for it to get back under control and I had to take some meds to help heal my stomach/esophagus.

So the bottom line is, the actual "withdrawals" shouldn't take much longer than where you are now - but be cognizant that you may now notice the other physical and psychological issues more. Seeing a doctor for a checkup never hurts!