Notices

Sister is a Binge drinker need advice

Old 05-16-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sister is a Binge drinker need advice

Hello everyone out there,
Thank you for accepting me onto your forum.

My sister has been a binge drinker now for approximately 10 years. Suffers from depression and suicidal thoughts (all which I was not aware of until a year ago).
12 months ago my sister had to go through a radical Mastectomy, 6 months of chemo then 6 months of Radiation Therapy.
She does have a husband that loves her and a 12 year old daughter.
Unfortunately, we are both in the dark when it comes to the best way to handle a situation like this.
My sister is not aggressive but belligerent. What concerns both her husband and myself are the health concerns (my sisters Oncologist has warned her only 2 standard drinks per week max). Whereby on average my sister would have at least 20 standard drinks per week. Last night 16 standard drinks (14% alc). Usually it is white wine sometimes followed by red if the white runs out.
Only my sisters close family know this is a problem, and now her close friends are starting to realise as it is getting progressively worse.
My brother-in-law has tried various strategies, some counter productive (as we have seen and just read) and some which have been suggested but not worked.
My sister has full time employment, very successful and social. So it is not obvious to the outside world.
My brother-in-law and myself feel like we are walking in the dark as this is unknown territory. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Youl find lots of support here have you thought about going al anon also ?
Old 05-17-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome whitepoppy

Unfortunately it's very hard to get someone to stop drinking if they're resistant to the idea.

You will find support for yourself here, & in our Family and Friends forums as well.

Like Soberwolf said, AlAnon is another option for support