Notices

Overly horny since going sober

Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober ? Did it happen right away ? I have the same thing happen, but typically does about a couple weeks into my sobriety.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My experience was until I based my recovery program on sobriety, and not abstinence, I transferred addictions. Just not drinking and going to meetings was not what enabled me to recover.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks to everyone who's responded seriously to this topic.
I've removed a post to keep us focused.

Let's keep the thread helpful - thanks

Dee
SR

Last edited by Dee74; 05-17-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol, especially beer lowers testosterone and boosts estrogen, which can make you gain weight, have low energy, and low sex drive. Getting clean will get those back to normal.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
There is a condition known as "Restless Genital Syndrome" that can be diagnosed by a doctor.
Sorry my original post was kind of goofy. So I er, deleted it.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks to everyone who's responded seriously to this topic.
I've removed a post to keep us focused.

Let's keep the thread helpful - thanks

Dee
SR
I too appreciate a serious discussion. Just because the topic involves sex doesn't mean we have to act immaturely.
I for one am so thankful to finally put a name to what I am sure is the condition I had when pregnant. I am glad that I am not suffering from it during sobriety and encourage the OP to seek help if she thinks she has the condition mentioned by Coldfusion. To be clear it is different than an increased sex drive. It is a near constant need to have sex or masturbate to scratch an itch so-to-speak, not a sexual desire kind of thing. I remember going to a bathroom in a restaurant in the middle of dinner to masturbate just to be able to sit at the table comfortably. It is not exciting or fun or sexy, and had I known I would have asked my doctor for help.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

No expert here and my response is purely opinion based. Nothing more.

I think we get so used to dumbed down (accurately put) versions of feelings when we're drinking that when we quit, those same feelings and sensations are overwhelmingly heightened. In alcoholism, even if you don't drink every single day you've still reduced your receptors and are in a constant fog, so to speak. Remove the fog and the intensity changes.

I would guess that horniness could follow the same path?

I remember the first time I was in a situation that was happy after I quit. I was blown away at the feeling. I attribute that to the fact that it's probably how "happy" is normally, but my perception of it was over the top because I actually was feeling it as it was meant to be felt. Not my perception of it under the influence of alcohol or how my brain perceived it to be when I was drinking.