Notices

Back again

Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

Hello everyone!

A few years ago I gave sobriety a go, but obviously that didn't work out. So here I am again - 33 and ready to just stop drinking already. I've wasted so many hours and hours worrying about it, obsessing about it, all the while I've gained 40 pounds and feel like a total failure.

I am just so tired of being tired. So, today is my day 1.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Ginger, hope we can help you make this be the time that you make a permanent change.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Like you, I joined in Sept of 2010. I haven't had a drink since coming to SR. Look at the number of posts I have. SR has been a huge part of my recovery.

It has not been a huge part of your recovery. You have started four threads. Your first, and three announcing you're back to try again. I'm not pointing that out to shame you. I am pointing out that 1) If you are serious about quitting you have to stop treating sobriety like a revolving door, and 2) That if you are going to come to Sober Recovery for help and support, use it. Daily.

Join one of the newcomers classes for daily accountability. Work on a solid plan to support your decision to quit drinking. Get additional face-to-face support if you need it (and most do). And lastly, commit to quitting, for good, and don't bail out on that commitment.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ginger
Old 05-16-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ginger!

I joined SR in 2012, and my first serious attempt was October of 2012, I made it to three months and then started drinking again. I spent the next three years alternating between periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation. On NYE I decided that was it and I have not had a drink since.

I joined the January class, and that has been my biggest sense of support. You should join the May class, it helps to have people who are in the same point of your sobriety journey.

I had also gained weight, and since quitting drinking and focusing on healthy eating (using weight watchers) combined with exercise I have lost 28 pounds.

You can do this. Spend some time reading and posting. Take ideas from multiple threads to tailor a plan that will work for you. The first few weeks I had to make sure I had something planned at the time I normally would have drank: go for a walk, yoga, activity with my kids, bubble bath, reading...

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's alright Ginger

Don't listen to doggonecarl. Not everyone can break free from addiction as easily as it apparently was for him. People have relapses and that's alright as long as you try to get clean again. I am newcomer and posted a thread a month ago when I was 6 days sober . Then I fell off the wagon for a few weeks, drinking until I was sick daily . I got myself together and have been sober for 10 days. It's a daily struggle, but I feel physically better than before. You will too. People make mistakes and that's to be expected, so don't feel bad. Just focus on getting better .
Old 05-16-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Newpage1976 View Post
Don't listen to doggonecarl.
I am not putting Ginger Tea down for her struggles. And if comes across as such, I'm sorry. I'm trying to give her practical advice that I hope to will lead to success in her recovery.

I wouldn't say my recovery was easy. I drank for 35 years. But when I did decide to quit I took the advice of those here on SR who had a lot of sobriety. I committed to quitting, created a plan, stuck to it. Struggled through the cravings. Got support when I needed it. Learned to cope with life sober. And didn't drink.

Feel free to ignore me.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great ginger. This obviously isn't your first rodeo! Good luck.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Easy does it people. We're all here for the same reason. Everyone has a different style of communication.....if we all did things the same, well, I for one would learn nothing. I recommend to hear the message.....and as a general rule I must try not to take things personally. That makes me thirsty.....if ya know what I mean.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will be able to stay sober when you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

ginger tea is my favourite, drinking a cup right now

I hope you stick around, Ginger Tea, lots of practical help and support here
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ginger Tea. I have had starts and stops myself but I won't give up until the transformation is complete. Idk for me this time feels different. I am not quitting because I have to or because I feel bad etc. I am leaving that life behind because I finally really want to, at least that's how it feels.

Never give up on you darling...
Old 05-16-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like doggonecarl's style!

Ginger I joined (apparently) back in 2010 and read off and on, but never did post because there was some kind of glitch that said I was supposed to wait until I had posting privileges - I didn't get serious about recovery until recently, and had to reach out to an administrator to get the glitch straightened out and was SHOCKED I had been reading here off and on for SIX YEARS ugh.

That being said, by becoming more active here and actually posting, I feel more accountable even if the folks are online versus face to face. Make sense?
Old 05-16-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank and relapsed for decades.. just wasn't suffering enough consequences to get serious I guess.. but when I finally did commit, I joined a class and posted here on SR daily for accountability. It worked, lol.. and I still come here regularly to help others. It's almost as good as an AA meeting in the positive reinforcement it provides.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad to see you back, Ginger. We have to be ready. You're still young & can turn it all around.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really good to see you back Ginger
do you have a plan?

D
Old 05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I am not putting Ginger Tea down for her struggles. And if comes across as such, I'm sorry. I'm trying to give her practical advice that I hope to will lead to success in her recovery.

I wouldn't say my recovery was easy. I drank for 35 years. But when I did decide to quit I took the advice of those here on SR who had a lot of sobriety. I committed to quitting, created a plan, stuck to it. Struggled through the cravings. Got support when I needed it. Learned to cope with life sober. And didn't drink.

Feel free to ignore me.
Not gonna ignore you.. We are ALL here for help. Ginger sounded like she was defeated and I thought you came off as judgemental. I might be wrong on what you implied, however that's how I read it. It takes time for people to commit to sobriety .. Ginger and I are working on it. Congratulations on keeping it together.. Sincerely . I want to get to the point where you are.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I did want to check in and say I did not drink last night. Sleeping was kind of on and off but I made it.

The post above really did hurt my feelings, as I feel really honestly lost and alone. However, I am an adult and words on the internet only have as much power as I give them.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good

Trust me sister.. I know how it feels to be scared and alone . I have a family and I feel alone. You're stronger than this messed up addiction . Even though I'm going through the same thing, there is a light at the end, I hope. If you want Ginger , message me.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awww he's a straight talker. I think I posted something like "do I have to hide in my house to not drink?!" and I was angry about it, and he responded with "yes - if that's what it takes."

He was right - to get through the very early days I had to do that. I think he is just passionate about helping others to get better.