Originally Posted by Someonestupid View Post

I know this sounds idiotic.
No, it just sounds alcoholic.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Stephen King is sober, by the way.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Someonestupid- you are going to have to find something to fill the hours when you would be drinking or you will go back to drinking. It a natural law-gravity. For many it's AA meetings, walking, reading. Drinking 3x a week sounds a lot like me. I did it for 30 years. The last year or so I drank 4 or 5 times a week. Seems it's progressive. After reading your posts odds are 99.973 you are an alcoholic. I'll bet you $1,000 I can walk into a bar and have one beer. With that incentive I can do it many times. Remove the incentive and I'l drink gallons just because I feel like it that day. After drinking one beer my Craving will return and I'll drink according to my old pattern.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Drinking about three times a week was my routine for many years. But before my relationship went south it was every single day as long as it didn't mess up with my work too much. I could sit for over 24 hrs straight and just drink and surf the web before I collapsed somewhere in the garden or basement or whatever.

The thing is that I just love beer. I always have. Proper beer. So I want to do it for the taste and not for the binge.

I had to move back to my dad, and I know almost no one here. I've also been brewing beer myself (that's one of two things I'm good at) and since my main freelance work is two hours away I needed to find some local job. Since I know how to brew good beer I got a job at a newly opened home brew supply shop. It really helps keeping me a bit on the sane side. I get to talk with people (customers) about something I like to talk about, and I've gotten new friends..I love the hobby and it relaxes me. And obviously with that follows tasting of beer..

If I by any means can go back (yeah, everybody says it can't be done.. .. ) to a mental place where I can relax and not stress about having one beer or two, for the tasting, in a social setting, I'd be a happy man. And I will work a lot just to try. My life so far has been full of stress and depressions which was never dealt with properly. I'm trying to know my self first of all, in every aspect, and take it from there.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrcarlson View Post
Someonestupid- you are going to have to find something to fill the hours when you would be drinking or you will go back to drinking. It a natural law-gravity. For many it's AA meetings, walking, reading. Drinking 3x a week sounds a lot like me. I did it for 30 years. The last year or so I drank 4 or 5 times a week. Seems it's progressive. After reading your posts odds are 99.973 you are an alcoholic. I'll bet you $1,000 I can walk into a bar and have one beer. With that incentive I can do it many times. Remove the incentive and I'l drink gallons just because I feel like it that day. After drinking one beer my Craving will return and I'll drink according to my old pattern.
I've been working out like an athletic comparing to what I did just a week ago. And it really helps. A lot. Working out and some slight gaming and trips with my dog. I've realized that I must keep my mind off thinking about having a beer, until it's normal not to have a beer any more.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Almost every alcoholic will tell you they wished they could drink normally. All have tried and I don't know one the succeed for very long. Except my older brother...maybe. He drank like me for years, had 7 DUI arrests and many drunken brawls. Sometime around 50 he got drunk several times a week. He trained himself to only drink after dark-no matter what he'd wait till the sun was down. I can vouch for that, always seemed odd to me. He quit cold turkey for 6 months, went to 30 days rehab and AA-had Court help. He beat the DWI but said the sobriety and alcohol education was helpful. Said he started drinking again but only two nights a week. Sometimes he wanted it more often but waited until his "drinking days" He told me now he only drinks on Friday or Saturday night. He has no reason to lie and I do believe that's what he does, He says he drinks all he wants which means getting hammered but just the one night a week. He not a real success at moderating but appears to have moderated getting hammered. He says part of it is getting too old for hangovers-happens around 40.

I worry about taking that first drink because It has never stopped there. I think I've seen my brother drink a beer or two and leave it alone but then again I have done that also. I don't think he does it often.

My brother quit entirely for 6 months, went to AA and alcohol treatment, and there after rigorously kept to his drinking schedule. He began a few years earlier by never drinking before dark.

It not something I think I can do. You seem determined to drink moderately. whether it works out or not please let us know.

Best Wishes
Chris