SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Well off to my first meeting... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391337-well-off-my-first-meeting.html)

Nofearnobeer 05-15-2016 02:57 PM

Well off to my first meeting...

Well off to my first AA meeting. Weird because I don't have any cravings at all..just can't shutdown the anxiety whatsoever. Maybe this will help.

LadyBlue0527 05-15-2016 03:06 PM

Glad that you're going!

Attendance isn't related to whether you're having cravings, only the desire to stop drinking. It's also a great place to meet people who are of the same mindset.

You're doing a great thing :)

Soberwolf 05-15-2016 03:12 PM

Congrats

Nofearnobeer 05-15-2016 03:12 PM

Thank. Local HD dealer called the other day in midst of one of anxiety attacks to talk a financing deal..I had an emotional breakdown right there..he said he completely understood and to get better..apparently this anxiety thing is becoming common..Good Lord help me..

Mountainmanbob 05-15-2016 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nofearnobeer (Post 5954099)
Well off to my first AA meeting. Weird because I don't have any cravings at all..just can't shutdown the anxiety whatsoever. Maybe this will help.

I have learned a lot about drunks there, including myself.

Bob

Nofearnobeer 05-15-2016 03:17 PM

Nice Bob.,lol..

Nofearnobeer 05-15-2016 04:34 PM

I will say due to an apparant language barrier restriction that was evident while driving up, I will be attending an alanon meeting at a local church. No offence meant to anyone but I'd prefer a meeting in mostly English..And one where I didn't feel as though I just landed in the mother ship from a far off planet. We are in this together, but need to find my comfort zone in a meeting.

entropy1964 05-15-2016 05:03 PM

I just wanted to say that AA meetings come in all flavors so to speak. They can each have a very different feel and personality. Keep trying different meetings until you find one that feels right.

Nofearnobeer 05-15-2016 05:36 PM

I will definitely do that. Know I said alanon. That would be sleep deprivation and ADHD talking..I am sooooo tired and wound at the same time

Cherrybreeze 05-15-2016 06:54 PM

I went to my first today, too. Here's to many more.

Dee74 05-15-2016 07:20 PM

If this meeting didn't do it for you nofear there must be others?

D

Nofearnobeer 05-16-2016 02:44 AM

that's awesome Cherry! Oh yeah Dee..Plenty more...The location may be good, but that time when I started to arrive, the environment was not exactly comforting. Inside was probably fine. in this case, had to "judge a book by it's cover". Will find another one this morning..

Nofearnobeer 05-16-2016 02:59 AM

Dagum GPS. Shows 2 streets right near each other with the same name, not even connected. I live 5 min from this place And I didn't have a clue. How tired am I? And why am I up at 6AM?

VirginiaWoof 05-16-2016 03:02 AM

I was another AA newbie today and was lucky enough to find one I felt at home in straight away. Definitely keep searching x

redmerc 05-16-2016 04:00 AM

Nofearnobeer [email protected] months. I had intense anxiety more intense then GAD from giving up, call it PAWS, withdrawal, whatever, to me it was just instense/acute anxiety -never again, will I drink a drop, it nearly broke me. It did let up after 6 months, but I got to the point where I didn't really care, so lessened the anxiety response cycle. Im still not sleeping too well. Meditation and diversion helped. I think the REM rebound was a huge factor for me.

Good luck!

Nofearnobeer 05-16-2016 02:45 PM

Meeting went well..Havnt been to one since I was 17 (back when I said I would never be at one of these again). Hmmm..things seem to have come full circle...My therapist says it is GAD...Something about rumination...At this point not a big fan of rumination..Working something called MBCT...Hope it calms down soon...Oooof...Off to meeting 2 tomorrow.

advbike 05-16-2016 03:50 PM

That's great! I have anxiety also and when my thoughts start to get out of control a meeting works wonders. My gf even can sense when I'm getting wound up and tells me to go, lol.

IvanMike 05-16-2016 04:06 PM

Right on.

Meetings (NA) have been working for me so far. So have the steps.

I always recommend actually going in and attending the meeting before deciding if it's for you. ;)

Nofearnobeer 05-16-2016 06:48 PM

See above Ivan...I did go today...The dang GPS hadme routed to the wrong place..Not where I wanted to end up...Much better place today...

soberaccountant 05-16-2016 06:58 PM

I didn't go to AA because I had cravings for alcohol. After I got myself in the mess I was in, I went seeking a different perspective on life and to seek support from people who have been through what I am going through(or worse). AA has helped me to deal with my emotions better than where I was at day one. I was a mess day one, I am glad that 3 months later I am a little better than where I was at before.