Notices

fat thinking of drinking day 6

Old 05-15-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fat thinking of drinking day 6

Out shopping with my mom and boy have I gained weight.. I need to go to the plus size section to shop. I'm so depressed.. I'm thinking about just going to the liquor section and buying a bottel and going home and drink.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't do it!! Empty wasted calories that aren't good for you anyway. Please don't drink.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gaining weight while drinking is pretty common tonib.

Drinking will defeat the purpose.

I know it's upsetting, I can relate.

Please stick with sobriety.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate so much!! So many times when I was depressed about my weight I'd say the heck with it and drink. Unfortunately, it just made it worse, and I felt (and looked) like crap the next day.

Good news is you can loose that weight, and it can start with giving up the alcohol. It doesn't happen overnight but with continued sobriety it will fall off, and it's so worth it. I know the drinking killed my motivation & energy too. I gained about 40 lbs. over the years drinking.

Hang in there and don't drink .
Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

nope, sorry, lousy EXCUSE to drink.

i get that carrying more pounds than we wish can be upsetting, but drinking is not a solution to weight gain. proper food health and exercise IS.

what happens with your boy if you drown your sorrows in the bottle?
Old 05-15-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah - trying to run from the weight gain by drinking alcohol is like trying to put out a fire inside your house with gasoline.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Tonib,

I gained weight from drinking and eating crap after as well. I have been sober since January 1st, and also started Weight Watchers at the same time. I have lost 28 pounds so far, and would like to lose close to 20 more.

I hated shopping too, but drinking more wasn't going to get me out of those larger sizes.

You can do this.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Drinking only adds problems never solves them
Old 05-15-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Would it help if I told you I went from a size 8 to a size 0-2 within a year of quitting? I dumped so many calories by not drinking. I didn't replace with food - just replaced alcohol calories with coffee (not lattes) and water.
You can do this.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. ( gained a ton of weight from drinking) Don't do it!!!!!
I have found that eating healthy and drinking tons of water helps to feel better. I never cooked while I drank, eating unhealthy food or not at all, and even though I haven't been sober for long, one of the things that helps me occupy my time craving the bottle is coming up with low carb recipes I can treat myself to.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's not going to help with your weight issue.

And if you are an alcoholic like me, it's going to cause complications and problems in many other areas of your life as well.

But I think you already know this.

If having to go up a couple of sizes in clothing causes you to consider drinking, you might want to re-evaluate your sobriety plan.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think about it. You want to drink cause you are overweight, probably due to drinking and not living a healthy lifestyle. Does that really make sense to you? I lost a lot of weight once I quit drinking, eating better and hitting the gym. Try focusing on doing what you can do to lose the weight, not doing what cause the weight gain in the first place. Not easy, but can be done. Good luck. John
Old 05-15-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I TOTALLY identify. I was always on the small side until my drinking got out of hand. That, combined with hitting my 40s added a bunch of weight. I did exactly what you are talking about--got depressed when I would sober up about the weight gain and go straight back to drinking. Vicious cycle. I've been sober 5 weeks now and just got back from 3 mile run with my daughter. Started dieting about 3 weeks in and the pounds are starting to fall off. I'm feeling like a different person already.
Be kind to yourself. When you have some sober time and start ramping up the exercise and healthy eating you will get yourself out of the cycle. Just got to give it a little time and then you will feel more and more motivated.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank u all so much. I didn't drink but ate again lol I just thought whatever I eat is still better than drinking alcohol.. next I will come up with an exercise plan but first I need to get this under control..
Old 05-15-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I so get it. I have gained weight too in sobriety. I know deep down though, that it is all about making good choices and backing off the sweets. It is the ice cream after dinner habit. Now that the weather is nicer in my neck of the woods, I have no excuse and need to get out there and walk....

Don't drink. You didn't turn in to an alcoholic overnight and you won't lose weight overnight. Give yourself a break and try to look at this realistically. You are worth it!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
Thank u all so much. I didn't drink but ate again lol I just thought whatever I eat is still better than drinking alcohol.. next I will come up with an exercise plan but first I need to get this under control..
Nice going!! I still eat junk food more than I should, but now include things like salads, fruit, etc. Hey, nobody's perfect LOL. Some guy at the gym I go to got me hooked on protein drinks. Their really good and good for you. Comes in all flavors. Not many calories, and is real sweet, so helps with cravings. Orange juice helps too. John