Notices

hello my name is careyann

Old 05-15-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello my name is careyann

I am new on this site, and find it confusing, I am currently attending AA and wondering if anyone has any additional tips, and or medication they have taken to stop the cravings?? thanks
Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi, careyann! Love the name.

Nothing "stops" the cravings except time. Sorry.

Welcome to the madhouse.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sunshine.

The whole point of AA, (the steps, the fellowship, and service) is that we learn other ways to deal with things other than medicating ourselves for quick relief. I know it probably feels a long way off at the moment, but if you work the program (all three sides of the triangle) then you will start to feel some relief. In the meantime, make use of this board and the telephone numbers that other AA members give you to get past the cravings. Lots of people find urge surfing helps, and you could probably find some useful information about that if you Google it or do a search on this site. Meditation and prayer really helped me.

I'd also suggest being real wary of the HALT triggers. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. They will quickly weaken our resolve in early sobriety. I made the mistake of underestimating them a few times and almost listened to my AV (addictive voice) and took a drink. Thankfully I didn't. I'm still really careful to plan so they can't cat has me out now.

The AA speaker recordings really helped me as well. There are lots on YouTube. I also use this site.... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The only thing that gets rid of cravings is sober time. The longer you're sober, the less you'll have cravings to drink.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi CarreyAnn,

Naltrexone and Acamprosate are some medications out there that have had success in helping people deal with alcohol cravings. I am not advocating them, just noting that they are there and do exist. I have also heard of doctors prescribing benzodiazepines as a way to deal with cravings/withdrawals. Again, not advocating them--just stating that they are there.

To each their own ultimately. If you feel it is getting to a point where you simply cannot bear it, then I would suggest reaching out to your doctor to discuss your options and if it the right route for you to go. I will implore you, however, to continue to give AA a chance.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Careyann, actually there are medications that help with cravings and I can say from personal experience that they work.
Naltrexone is one, and that one I have not tried. Acamprosate (brand name Campral) is another and I did take that one and noticed a real difference in the frequency and intensity of my cravings. It did not make them completely go away, but made them much more manageable. I also believe that you cannot depend solely on medication in order to get sober, you also have to have other supports and a great desire to stay sober.
I do not regularly attend AA nor do I work the steps so I can't comment too much on that, but as you can see form above we have many other members that do and they can help you with that.
From BeccyBean's post it seems that you cannot fully work the steps if you are using medication to help you. Maybe you could keep attending meetings as a way of having face to face support while taking a medication to help you kick start things. When you feel ready to let go of the crutch of medication you could get to work on the steps and fully immersing yourself in the AA program.
Definitely speak to your doctor, there is help out there and there is no shame in using medications specifically designed for this.
Incidentally I saw a Facebook post from a friend who is a pharmacist today. There has been a recent increase in posts on "healthy living" promoting all kinds of green juices and lemon waters and such to treat everything from digestive issues to cancer. (I admit, I love me some lemon water for detox ) She wrote "I thought we stopped treating cancer with lemon water a really long time ago"
Long story short, if you can heal anything by avoiding medications go for it. But modern medicine is here for a reason, use it when you can't find any other way. No shame girl, this is not an episode of survivor, the goal is to get sober any way you can.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 05-15-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

May I ask where kelowna is?
Old 05-15-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry, can't help you on the medication part.

But what helped me was to become very physically active. Exercise you heart out, it helps with the anxiety, helps you sleep better, helps you look better and I think it also raises your self esteem. It doesn't matter what you do, run, walk, bike, swim, whatever.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR sunshine

D
Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Mera
I didn't see where it's said that you can't work the steps fully with meds. If I missed it, oops. But I have to disagree if that was said. Yeah, there are folks, in and out of AA , that think the meds aren't necessary if one is fully pursuing recovery. Frankly I don't think it's anyone's bees wax, ya know? I know plenty o people in AA that are on meds. Now if the person pursuing recovery is misusing meds that make one high (as in opiates or benzos) then yeah, that person has just switched drugs. But stuff like campral, naltrexone, antibuse? No high in those drugs and if they help, why the heck not? I've never had any luck with that stuff so doesn't work for me personally. Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in on that.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome sunshine
Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Mera
I didn't see where it's said that you can't work the steps fully with meds. If I missed it, oops. But I have to disagree if that was said. Yeah, there are folks, in and out of AA , that think the meds aren't necessary if one is fully pursuing recovery. Frankly I don't think it's anyone's bees wax, ya know? I know plenty o people in AA that are on meds. Now if the person pursuing recovery is misusing meds that make one high (as in opiates or benzos) then yeah, that person has just switched drugs. But stuff like campral, naltrexone, antibuse? No high in those drugs and if they help, why the heck not? I've never had any luck with that stuff so doesn't work for me personally. Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in on that.
I really have no idea about it as I do not attend AA. I was referring to Beccky's post above which said that
The whole point of AA, (the steps, the fellowship, and service) is that we learn other ways to deal with things other than medicating ourselves for quick relief.
That said, you are correct, she did not say you could not work the steps if you are on meds. I took her words and interpreted them to mean that, my apologies to you, her and others reading who might have been misled. Only she, or others in AA, will be able to clarify.

Our Beccy and other members here are great sober success stories who have found that success via AA so I do hope they will clarify. That said, the OP asked about medications and I wanted to be sure to answer her question with my experience and say that yes, although not a miracle drug that wipes away alcoholism altogether, Campral does in fact help a lot with cravings for some people.