SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just curious (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/391294-just-curious.html)

Babescake 05-14-2016 08:51 PM

Just curious

and sorry to start a 3rd active thread with my name attached, but I'm using this for non-drinking means. I always notice this snippet when I first come here: Most users online at one time was 2,208 (08-27-2012 at 10:47 AM).

Anyone know why that time was so popular? As a marketer, I'm also curious about metrics now. Any way I could be clued in, even privately? Just a curiosity of mine. Thanks!:thanks

sugarbear1 05-14-2016 09:15 PM

I think the answer to this question is like the one for "Why do some people have alcoholism?"

Accept and move forward!

MythOfSisyphus 05-14-2016 11:33 PM

I suspect (but have no inside information) but there's no special significance to that time. After all, what if the 2nd most users online at one time was 2,206 on June 2nd and 4:25 pm? Some day had to have the most at one time!:lmao

Meraviglioso 05-14-2016 11:40 PM

ME TOO babes cake! We should google that date and see if something happened in history that was especially traumatic. I have always wondered about that too. That's a lot of users online! Happy Sunday to you.

awuh1 05-15-2016 01:10 AM

I have wondered that myself, so when I saw your question I googled the date. It coincides with a great deal of earthquake activity in California. It seems plausible that there was a lot of fear in the population on that date. People may have drank to cope with the fear or perhaps found themselves wanting to drink in response to the stress and fear from all those earthquakes. As a result they might have come to this web site as a result of drinking or to help them not drink. I was not living in California in 2012, but I was in the San Fernando Valley during the Northridge quake of 1994. The amount of fear following quakes can be palpable.

Absent anything better, this is what now seems like most plausible explanation. I would be very curious what Anna would say in response to your question, both because she in an admin. here at SR and also because (if memory serves) she lives in Southern California.

MelindaFlowers 05-15-2016 01:16 AM

That's funny. I looked at the date and I actually remembered what was happening then. It was the political convention of one of the parties. I don't want to start any arguments so I won't say which party.

The 27th was the first night of the convention.

immri 05-15-2016 01:20 AM

I always wondered this too!! I think curiosity is a good thing ;)

MelindaFlowers 05-15-2016 01:23 AM

You'd think it would have been New Year's Day of any given year.

awuh1 05-15-2016 01:27 AM

IMO It's got to be due to either fear or publicity. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Babescake 05-15-2016 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers (Post 5953204)
That's funny. I looked at the date and I actually remembered what was happening then. It was the political convention of one of the parties. I don't want to start any arguments so I won't say which party.

The 27th was the first night of the convention.

Wow! Thanks for clarifying. That is hilarious. Nothing like a bunch of drunk (or sober) people commenting on politics! :lmao:lmao

Dee74 05-15-2016 04:26 PM

Anna's in Canada :)

I was around on that day - I can't remember it being any different than other days, or any earthquake talk, but the mind plays tricks...who knows ? :)

D.

Babescake 05-15-2016 06:00 PM

D, are you in Australia? Be honest (maybe you have, I don't know. I just know you are a great moderator and voice to this forum, in all capacities). Straylia means Aussie correct? I just love hearing your voices. I'm America-bred, Midwest upbringing, no accent. Though, if you listened to me right now how I sound (severe laryngitis),

fantail 05-15-2016 08:58 PM

Hmm I lived in California in 2012... I don't remember any earthquake panic! And I would've been the first to panic. That was only my second year there and I was always checking my earthquake app.

Dee74 05-15-2016 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Babescake (Post 5954344)
D, are you in Australia? Be honest (maybe you have, I don't know. I just know you are a great moderator and voice to this forum, in all capacities). Straylia means Aussie correct? I just love hearing your voices. I'm America-bred, Midwest upbringing, no accent. Though, if you listened to me right now how I sound (severe laryngitis),

Yeah I'm Australian (and honest too LOL)
I'm proud of it :)

D