Notices

I don't 'look like an Alcoholic'...

Old 05-14-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The reality is alcohol seems to sparks up this kind of denial. I think it makes people examine their own drinking, and they don't like it. Either that or they look down on it.

But from doctors? That's troubling. I'd find new doctors.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Another here who looked like an alcoholic. My blood tests also looked like an alcoholic's blood tests. If I could show you my drivers license, you'd say "oh yeah. That's an alcoholic." I had a red face. I had a sweaty face. I had tired, sad, red eyes. I had a bloated face. I was only 32.

Trust me, you don't want to get to that point.

I look like a whole new person with two years of sobriety.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you so, so, much for all of your responses!

I am very sorry to hear that many of you have experienced the same issues with medical professionals. I do think that Doctor's may think both Alcoholism and Depression are self inflicted. They are certainly not!!!

Despite me admitting I WAS an alcoholic, (a very hard 15 year thing yo do!) his exact words were , 'As Doctors, we don't usually recommend drinking Alcohol, but in your case keep drinking, but drink less, and slightly less everyday'.

The only problem is I wish(!!!) I could take one, and then two... But I cannot.

I have been going to AA, and attempting to 'Taper' as the Doctor recommended (this feels impossible!) but feel very let down.

As above, I asked for 'Rehab' and something to help with 'Withdrawals' (sweating, shaking - I could not hold a cup of tea, nightmares, insomnia, nausea,, hearing things, and imagining strange things).

Can I just ask 'how' anyone managed to taper? As this is what I have been instructed to do.

Thank you again!

Cassie
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

P. S. I have drunk lots of Coconut and Birch water . Plus homemade Smoothies mixed with Wine (I was gagging), as food still isn't a viable option... Just trying to get some Vitamins. Plus Vitamin B's.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tapering seems to be the advice most often given in the UK. Here in the US we are often given meds, like benzos, to ease the withdrawal anxiety and prevent seizures.

Tapering can be done but it's hard as it means controlling your drinking, which is something alcoholics can't usually do.

I would change doctors if it were me. As to "not looking like an alcoholic", what does an alcoholic look like??
Old 05-15-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

im no expert, but if a doctor and therapist determine whos an alcoholic by looks they should be dumped and reported.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks. I have no idea as to 'What' an alcoholic looks like (Me - I guess) The problem is, I do go to the gym everyday for two hours, get my hair done, my nails look great - Do a photo shoot. BUT... No one sees me downing my wine at night. So yes, I maintain myself - as it were (but sometimes I wonder how long can I keep it up?! I MUST smell of wine in the Morning, I must look tired...) I've been to a different Doctor, who was not much help(!) she's told me to go back in three weeks, as my Blood pressure was 'normal' as were my Blood Tests. I keep pestering the Doctor's, but I keep getting told it 'anxiety'.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If my Doctor told me I didn't look like an alcoholic, I would tell him that he didn't look like a Doctor.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you again.

When I stopped drinking, last time, a friend gave me 'Diazepam' (I'm not sure if these are 'Benzopines' in the US?) I was in a pretty bad way. Shaking, Sweating, Twitching, Confused - You get the picture). I did NOT WANT to drink. But was struggling to hold a pen, and pacing around the room a lot.

After the Diazepam, (about an hour) I began to feel better, calmer, and the shakes and anxiety had disappeared (considering 'how' bad I had felt, this was nothing short of a miracle).

Now. There is no way that I want to be addicted to Diazepam. But, once I pick up a drink I CANNOT stop! (I can go for Months without a Drink, but can go a 'Benders' for a week). I'm still going to AA regularly. The problem is, I've been told 'NOT TO GO 'COLD TURKEY'

Thanks Again.

Cassie
Old 05-15-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You could go to detox. Here that first requires a trip to the ER. Just walk in and say you're in alcohol withdrawal. They should admit you right away.

The other option is your doctor which you've already tried. I've tried tapering and always failed miserably.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I remember telling a doctor I had in the past years ago that I drank and that it was affecting many areas of my life. She gaped at me and said 'You drink?' to what seemed to me as judgemental. And she also said 'I would never think you drink like that?' - probably meaning I don't look like an alcoholic. She made me feel really low. I stopped going to her.

My next doctor was compassionate and non-judgemental when I told him. But it took me years to get up the nerve to tell him. All my blood tests etc have been fine.
It's good to have your doctor know...and I was so relieved to tell him, and it keeps me accountable.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've had 3 different doctors and one therapist encourage me to just cut back or have a few sober months, despite being in and out of hospital dozens of times over a few years and drinking enough to poison someone. Most of my friends from back then don't get it either and encouraged me to just 'have a few'
It's easy to say get new Drs (or friends), but it might be that some of us live in a culture where alcoholism and complete sobriety are not understood by many. Sorry you've had that experience too.

In regard to tapering, that was the advice I always got from GPs, have you tried going to hospital? Emergency Drs seem to take it a bit more seriously (as they should) and should give you medication if you need it.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

There is no way on earth I could have tapered. What about a medically assisted detox? Is that a possibility for you?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I remember a friend tell me one time he was an alcoholic, he drank 3-4 beers everyday after work. I told him he wasn't and that I drank x amount every night before passing out. Then I come on here and found people who drank 30 cans of beer a day for years.

I now realize there is a broad spectrum of alcoholism. My friend may have just been 3 or 4 years behind what stage I was at, and his realization just came a bit sooner.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

An alcoholic may look like this ???????????

What Alcohol Can Do To Your Liver

https://youtu.be/l-SBR7p7K-M
Old 05-15-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've struggled with that. No skid row. No prison. I feel mostly certain that AA is a home for me. I feel like the speakers. I need help living. Recently I spoke at a friend's memorial. My friend had essentially drunk himself to death. I realized that almost every story I told about him involved us drinking. My friend didn't think he was an alcoholic. As I've been told time and time again, people who aren't alcoholics don't end up at this website or at an AA meeting.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had more than one doctor tell me I didn't look like I was depressed. Since I brushed my hair and put on makeup apparently that was enough for a doctor to decide I was not depressed. You know what is right for you, just as I knew what was right for me. Yes, it's a bump in the road to be told that, but don't let it stop you on your journey.