Notices

Hello, How are you ? Why are you sober/clean

Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello, How are you ? Why are you sober/clean

Just want any guests or newcomers to see some of the answers these questions bring up as SR has more guests than members online at any one time & your answers might encourage someone to change thier life

I am sober because I accept I have alcoholism & it was killing me & for me to live on I had to change a lot asides from stopping drinking

Best decision I ever made was getting sober & today nearly 3 years in I feel awesome & strong in my sobriety

Why are you sober & how are you today ?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm great today! I am sober because I want to be a better person and mother. My life was a mess and I suffered day in and day out. I was ruining everything good I had in my life including relationships, work, finances and health. I had no self esteem and little will to live. I'm only two months in but I already see the benefits and feel better.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Wolfie. Quit drinking because I heard you can get better if you do..you'll get much worse if you continue..quit in Dec 2015. Not so sure I am one of those who will get better...just want my life back...constant frustration of feeling detached depressed anxious and tired is both frustrating and exhausting. It's like my entire world and family are doing great but somehow I feel detached from all of it...pulmonologist says sleep deprivation will do that...my faith is being tested...and I type this while a giant thunderstorm is pounding away..
Old 05-12-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sober because it was the right thing to do. My drinking was a slow suicide with no future in sight. I had hit bottom with the despair of nowhere to go but up. Now using AA, and at 10 months the promises the book lists are coming true. Looking back at where I was a year ago at this time I'm a different person who at 67 still has room for change and a fulfilling life.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sober. I don't know why, really. I just know that sometimes when I drink I tend to get so very self destructive, and I don't want to risk me doing something very, very dangerous. That has happened before. I feel OK tonight, not great, but not bad either. Kinda meh.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread soberwolf x I am feeling really good thanks. I have been sober since mid-January. I am sober because I have learnt to love and care for myself...I wanted better for myself...I wanted to be fit and healthy (both physically and emotionally)...and live a calm balanced life. Sobriety has allowed me to achieve all of the above. I am thriving in sobriety xxx
Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sober because my life had become unmanageable with alcohol in it, and I had hated the person that alcohol had made me become. At least those were the reasons I had when I first quit (and still are to a large degree).

But having now been sober for a longer stretch, I would also probably say I am sober because I love the type of life I am able to lead in sobriety. It's the only way of life for me now.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I became sober because using heroin was completely destroying me mentally, physically, spiritually, financially, legally, and basically every aspect of my life. I finally got to the point where I was willing to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that it took to become sober because I wanted to truly live, not be a slave to heroin and my drug dealers.

I am sober because I finally found the strength to truly love myself and have regained my sense of self worth and self respect.

I have NEVER regretted choosing to find sobriety and work on achieving lasting recovery. It is so much more worth it then I could have ever imagined.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

My health (some things that could turn into big things with my stomach, liver & kidney), my cats, getting over a hangover isn't just a next day thing anymore, the anxiety it brings isn't funny, so much wasted time & money.... well, lots of things.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I am sober because life became unmanageable.

I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I decided to be sober b/c i wanted a clear full life without baggage. Life is good. Thank you for asking SW.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good post SW. I'm feeling tired, but unable to sleep, aside from that I feel today was productive. I'm sober today because I was poisoning myself with alcohol and pills and I was making bad choices and hated the person I had become. I was distancing myself from my family and from my spirituality, heck the world. I was extremely unhappy, and have felt that way my entire life feels like.

I kept asking myself, "When will I transform into the person I want to be, the person I deserve to be, the mother I could be to my son, the person that would make a difference in the world instead of being so selfish all the time.

If you're a guest reading these please know you are not alone, none of you are alone. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am worth it and That I myself am not alone.

I was so low I felt dead inside. I had lost all feeling and didn't care. I couldn't physically run away like I always had, but instead intoxicated myself to the point where I might as well have not existed because all I did was hurt myself and others.

I was done killing myself in spirit. I strongly believe if I kept on I would die.

I wanted to look back at my life and feel I had done amazing things. I truly wanted to change, and it's happing, slowly, but it's happening.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amazing post Sw and the responses are giving me a great deal to think about.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't being the man I could be.
I was an all day everyday drinker looking at being dead in his early forties

I'm glad I took the change - the last 9 years have been the best of my life

my life still has it's up and downs - but I have a peace and serenity I hope never to lose.

I can look myself in the mirror again

I am sober today

D
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I feel good today! Very productive day for me today, rather then sit and be depressed and anxious about not drinking all day I got busy around the house.
I quit drinking because I had too-- it was causing some significant health issues ( nerve damage that may or may not be permanent), failed relationships, loss of friends and family, employment, and the loss of the self esteem and confidence I once had.
I have been off and on the wagon for several weeks now, and I am on day #2 of the third day#2. I am thankful for this site, and for all of your positive and helpful advice.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 15 months.
I got tired of just wasting away and feeling hungover all the time. I wasn't being the person I wanted to be. I saw other people out doing normal activities that I felt too hung over to do.
Being sober doesn't make everything perfect, but you can deal with usual the pitfalls of life much better. I'm sober and present for my son, too. And, able to handle the challenges of a demanding job that I'm proud of.
I no longer hide from people because I don't want them to see me drunk. I don't have to plan my evenings so I can be home to drink.
And, I am not wasting $$.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Finishing out a tough day 7, but feeling good.
I'm choosing to be sober because when I picture the person I want to be, she is not drunk or drinking, she does not have to have a drink to stop the shaking or to push down feelings. I want to be strong, healthy, wholesome. I want to be present for my family and friends and for myself. I want to break this cycle, I grew up knowing I was bound to become a drinker, that's what my family did, what they were good at. I don't want my kids to have the same feelings, they can control who they become. I just want control over my own future. My tomorrow is looking positive, and sober, and I'm feeling pretty great about it.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sober because I ran out of options. Now I don't know why I wasted so much time avoiding it.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got sober because I was ready to live differently. I needed a change. I couldn't keep going down that road without facing some dire consequences, and I knew it. The consequences I faced were enough for me to want to quit for good.

Great post, SW.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Im sober because got really tired of being miserable. I love not being miserable.