Notices

Heartbroken and lost

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can relate to this SM. We are nearly the same age I am 28 and the thought of not drinking is scary, but the thought of whats going to happen to me if i dont stop is worse. I know I probably wont make 30 if i dont stop. I have been heavily drinking since 15, I dont know yet what a life not drinking is. All social events revolve around drinking, going to watch a game, meeting friends, work events, dinners, parties, weddings even funerals. I too am unsure what going to a bar and not having a drink will be like, for some reason I just cant get it, yet! Im so angry I cant drink like a normal person, i really thought i could control it but I cant. Every drink leads to a bender. Im just going one day at a time - I hope you can too!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

mario....my point about how you see others who drink water or other non-alcoholic beverages is that others really could care less what YOU have in YOUR glass as well. that is all. we think if WE have a glass of juice it is going to announce to the WORLD that we are losers who can't handle our liquor.....when in fact, NOBODY CARES!!!

you do whatever you have to in order to maintain and protect your sobriety and to hell with the rest of 'em!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The fear of losing alcohol is your addiction talking, plain and simple. I was like you, started drinking heavy as a teenager and did not know any other way of life except with alcohol in it. Early sobriety can be frightening and scary, but that's normal. Look at how much alcohol has hurt you, there is no good rational reason for you to "fear" losing it, but that's exactly how you feel. That's the power of addiction. It makes irrational thinking seem normal. Coming to this realization at the young age of 27 gives you a real opportunity to live a long and normal life. Believe me, it is very easy to throw away another 6 years, I knew without question by age 27 that I had a MAJOR problem, but tossed another 6 years down the drain because I was afraid to face it, and suffered countless embarrassments and misery during that time.

As scary as the thought of letting go is, the alternative is far worse. You will see over time that those thoughts were your addiction and not the real you. You can do this!