Notices

*Ring Ring* Sober Weekender May 6 - Part 2

Old 05-11-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Wish I was sitting under those lights right now Mesa petting Mesadog
polishing off the last of the pasta. . .

Glad you are having such a great trip!
Hi to all. . . prepping for work here.
About 4&1/2 weeks to vacation here--really staycation but still--
Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Mental health day... reminds me of where I used to work - never ever use sick days when you are sick, why waste them... so guys would show up to work sick all the time and take sick days for fun days... It would drive me nuts...
come in to work sick and make everyone else sick -- they actually started sending some people home after a while because of the complaints...

Mesa, is that an electric meter? Do you pay by the kwh or something? I am getting more and more envious of 'that' lifestyle. I actually have the means to do it. Of course that would mean selling the house and living in a shack having a nicer travel trailer than a home to go back to... or just live on the road all year. South in winter, north in summer... But I'd need that adult community place in FLA to go to when I couldn't drive any more... the wife wouldn't go for it tho...

Melina, my first wife wanted me to open a restaurant, my second wife wanted me to open a restaurant, my third wife brought it up. And she was dead serious until I explained to her exactly what it would entail and that the chances of actually making money before I went bankrupt was about 1000 to 1. And that I would have no life and... Cooking as a hobby is fun, cooking for work, not.
It's great how you put it into perspective though Melina... So suid, don't bother inviting a bunch of prostitutes to your parties, they won't be offering up the skills of the trade, it's their night off...

However, I do like the idea of a NO MENU eatery. Or a specialty hamburger joint. But there are already chains. Need to find a place in Marin county or somewhere like that for it - but you need a million dollars to start.
Or I could open a Philly Cheese Steak place in Seattle...

I want a job like Marty has. Something that makes me want to go to work, not have to... well I guess we have to but, you know...

Maybe soon I will be ready to actually work. Something about not having a life for the past 25 years has jaded me. Owning a restaurant would be ten times worse... as a start up/owner operator = NO THANK YOU

Nope, I'm okay with putting on an apron - that was actually our agreed upon plan my last marriage. I was gonna be Mr. Mom and I helped her prepare for her masters and professional licenses - very difficult tests that I would spend hours helping her prepare for. I was supposed to 'retire' at 50 and she was gonna make the millions... now I am retired and my wife is making the thousands. I'm a bona fide thousandaire!

Every once in a while I put on my heavy duty calphalon striped apron to cook in... just the apron hmm, that was a gift, I keep getting cooking crap as gifts...

I guess my senseless ramble is over...
enjoy the day
might go fishing tho
Old 05-11-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good morning everyone.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Good day all!

Fun and frolics overnight I see? Chefs marrying maids, etc.

Rain has returned of course. I even left the beach tent pitched in the back garden, thinking the sun will be here for a few days at least. I must have been overcome with a climate delusion. Maybe I need a mental health day also!!!

Catch ye later troops!

B
Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.
Up too early, I might go back to sleep.

Nice pics mesa!! The good news is that when one of us actually decides to get a trailer of our own, is that mesa knows everything!!
Just a quick message and an answer awaits!

Brain I wouldn't mind a Mr. Mom- it would make like sooooo much easier.

Morning to the guys! Behan, sao, SU, ken and Brain!

Hello hawkeye- Haha, mesadog is living quite the life!

Great post marty! I hope I feel that way about my job after school
It's something to look forward to.
Xo
Old 05-11-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
Ladies! Ladies! There's enough of me to go around lololol

My sister wives! What a blast we would have!

SUinDe, that's a good idea about the webcam stuff.

I still want to try to do one where people pay to watch me eat.

FOOD, guys, pay to watch me eat FOOD.

I want in!!

Feel better Ken!! I can feel one coming up for me!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning rogues!

Della you're definitely in!
Xo

Jen I keep waking up early too! Another sign I'm getting old I guess! I used to never get up before the alarm ugh!
Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ken enjoy your day off!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi all ,
Have been slaying the procrastination dragon today

Paperwork for france sent , address changed and passwords on locked up accounts re-set.

1) pay yourself first , standing order set up for payday to my savings , enough to make every purchase something that needs to be considered .. added motivation to sell things i don't use or need.

2) Water thermostat reduced,

3) washing, line dried.

4) change counted and sorted into bags ready to take down the bank .

m
Old 05-11-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Yes, Della! The more, the merrier!

Behan, climate delusion, perfect word. Le sigh. Same thing here. We get a little taste of a nice day and I think ok, that's it with the crap weather. But noooooo. We had a nice day on Sunday. And then it rained the next two days.

LBrain, it's so awesome to cook for a living. I'm happy and I'm passionate about it. But there's so many bigger picture stressors that are happening at the same time that don't have anything to do with cooking- the whole running a business thing. I love it but it's not as romantic as ppl think. You are so smart to realize that.

The longer I work in this business, the less desire I have to open my own place. I'd be better off making some items that can be frozen and sold, like some unique empanadas, and then definitely fresh salsas, etc. Something in that vein so I'm not dependent on a brick and mortar.

That being said, it's easier to get a customer base when those products are associated with an existing restaurant. So it's not easy either way. But worth a shot.

It's scary to think that good ideas fail and can make you go worse than bankrupt. Would I like my own restaurant? Absolutely. But I don't want to go through that agony. It is truly a delight to get my recipes on any menu where I am a chef, that scratches the itch in a very very wonderful way. I get to feed people my flavors and teach cooks to suss out my exact vision on the plate. That is so satisfying! With no risk to me.

Good morning, everyone!

I'm off to cook in a bit, Im glad I'm only doing five hour shifts for now at this place. Leaves me plenty of time for ice cream later.

xoxo
Old 05-11-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

That's so satisfying, mecanix! Awesome!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Howdy, Gang!

Got back late last night, slept like a pup and then awoke a little earlier than I might have wanted, but rested nonetheless. I'll share a pic or two after I get them uploaded and find what I like. It was a nice vacation. Good to get out of my Zip code and in a different setting.

I've got the rest of the week off so some staycation activities are in the offing -- including the Norwegian-American Center, Fab -- but for now it's coffee in my jammies. There is, though, one photo I'm happy to share with you friends.

Yippee! Thanks, SR.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

THAT IS EXCELLENT, VENNYYYYYYY!

Congratulations!

I'm glad you're home safe, and I'm glad you had a nice vacation! Photos, yes please! Xoxo
Old 05-11-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

The thing thats catching on here Melina are having the ingredients for a meal already in a box …

so you can go buy it or get it delivered and have the "convenience" of all the prep having been done .. all you have to do is cook it .. a "cut above" ready meals or TV dinners .

Quite laughable to a foody like me but it seems that people will pay a large premium for some nice packaging and not having the worry of having to walk a bit further round the supermarket to buy ingredients and prep them , themselves .
Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I see people posting photos on fb of what their recipe was from those boxes and how it turned out, mecanix.

I think people are intimidated by cooking but want to learn. Also it might be nice to do it at home so if you screw up, you are the only one that knows, hahaha!

I'm glad it's a way for people to people to learn. I bet the markup is tremendous, but the box and instructions cost $ to develop and make, too.

It's amazing how many people I interact with that are terrified of cooking at home bc they have never been taught and nothing comes out right, they can't understand why bc they don't understand methods. They're frustrated and intimidated. So I think it's cool they are learning.

I would be happy to cook a week's worth of meals for people, or do the week's prep and leave heat and serve or mix and dress instructions. Leave a couple easy entrees in the freezer, etc.. That would be a fun way to be a personal chef.

I filled my dad's freezer with entrees when my mom died. Gallon ziplocs of spaghetti sauce, fish marinated with citrus and herbs, etc. All he had to do was either thaw, heat and eat, or thaw and roast. It was extremely satisfying to leave that freezer stocked.

I have very strong maternal urges even though I am not a bio Mom to anyone. Preparing meals like that really hits that spot for me. It is a viable way to chef for a living. I don't know what to charge for that, but I could find out.

xoxo
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Wow, Ven! 1000 days! A nice, round number. Congratulations!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Yay Venecia! That's terrific.

Mecanix, good for you. It's nice to get off the procrastination train. It feels good to get small things accomplished.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Congrats Venecia!!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

It's cool and misty today too Sao. Must be in London.

Those "make a meal" packs seem to be popular with young twenty something couples. I've run across them at work and they do it together. That's a nice thing.

In some respects I think it's less wasteful because you only get what you need. I have a bunch of spices in my cupboard for recipes I only needed a half teaspoon for and never needed again.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 120 (permalink)